Frank gets a friend and some relief....new WHS installed

The1stCAV

[H]ard|Gawd
So began the dreaded Windows Home Server build. The reason I dread it is because I knew it was going to be an all-day affair. The actual build is not the time taker (though it was time consuming as I wanted to make sure it was done clean and right), but the loading of the OS, the gazillion MS updates and restarts, then the set-up time for the server once everything is installed, then configuring all the PC's in the house and the list goes on - thus the dreaded but very necessary install of the WHS began........Frank is happy though, he is shredding his file storage/serving duties now as the WHS will take over these tasks as well as taking/storing back-ups of Frank and the other PC's in the house. The dual 4-Bay external storage SATA drives I had attached to Frank will now be attached to the server, reducing issues I was having with Frank trying to handle everything he had attached to him. Though the EVGA X58 Classified board is a beast, it does have its limitations and is not optimal as a gaming/graphics laden box which is also maxed out with HDD’s and trying to be a file storage/server as well – it’s one or the other and Frank was throwing a fit (BSOD’s daily) due to not enough buss bandwidth to handle everything, even with increased voltages for the FSB.

So off I went to build the WHS and relieve Frank from his multi-functions as my gaming rig, server, file storage, graphics editor, etc and just bring him back to his main reason for being – work/gaming. So now on to the server build log……………….

001xee.jpg

NOTE: I said in the below image that this was a Q9400, it is actually the Q9450 CPU. I realized that once I kicked in Hardware Monitor to make sure the temps in the case were acceptable. Thankfully everything (even being OC'd to 3.0 on air) is operating now at 45c-51c - but on to the build log........

003pik.jpg

004asw.jpg

005bjc.jpg

Last edited:
ty - those LED's are great at night as well. Its pretty cool IMO to just take a look over there at night while working and smile at the pretty lights :D I like working in the dark most of the time anyway, so yeah, those LED's just add to the "ambience" of the room.......The server has sure helped Frank, he is loving off loading 8TB of data storage and server duties. Thanks for looking.

Awesome, awesome work. Thanks so much for sharing the pics and commentary. I know Frank is happy now. :)

Simply amazing :eek:
You give me the spark to start rebuild my old but not forgoten Bach.
Question 1
Why dont u install one external usb optical?
You sould save extra room ;)
Question 2
The orange fan inside and front is quiet or mine he makes terrible noise?
Question 3
You paint the front?
Question 4
Cant i ask you few things more in time?:p

Awesome, awesome work. Thanks so much for sharing the pics and commentary. I know Frank is happy now. :)
Yes he most certainly is - not one BSOD once I took the 8 drives that were connected via eSATA and USB to him and moved them to the server.
beautiful
Thanks - its even prettier at night gaming with the lights out :eek:
Love it Cav!!! :)
Awesome - thanks Nahid!
Simply amazing :eek:
You give me the spark to start rebuild my old but not forgotten Bach.
Question 1
Why dont u install one external usb optical?
You could save extra room ;)
I am not really sure how that would save me room. I have two 4-Bay external HDD cases via eSATA connections to the WHS. I have 5 HDD's internal to the case. I have one Memorex Optical CD/DVD ROM installed, but I am not sure how an external one would assist - please explain.
Question 2
The orange fan inside and front is quiet or mine he makes terrible noise?
Mine seems to be pretty quiet, however I cannot tell as I have several things in that rack that use fans, some louder than others and for the most part they all blend into one fan noise for me I guess. Really though, I am not too sure they make much if any.
Question 3
You paint the front?
No that overspray is factory - I never touched it with a paint can.
Question 4
Cant i ask you few things more in time?:p
Sure PM me anytime

I am not really sure how that would save me room. I have two 4-Bay external HDD cases via eSATA connections to the WHS. I have 5 HDD's internal to the case. I have one Memorex Optical CD/DVD ROM installed, but I am not sure how an external one would assist - please explain.

In case of installation of external optical you save room from the
ribbon cable of the optical wich you have now.
And after that in the optical place you may install few hdd"s or maybe one extra
fan to cool the other 3 ? (if i see good) wich you already install.
After all i dont think you use pretty much the optical cos as i see you have it on
ur home network and in case of add/ remove data"s you get it from the network.
Event if you want to install OS with the external you do the job ;)

In case of installation of external optical you save room from the ribbon cable of the optical wich you have now.

Agreed - however I rip movies to my WHS and I use the drive on the server to do it so I do not have to move 7GB-45GB at a time. I also have found many times I need to have at least one optical on the physical machine, it just makes it easier. I appreciate the thoughts and suggestions.

Back