Frank and I wish you all Happy Holidays - New WS Pics

The1stCAV

[H]ard|Gawd
“Frank” and I wish you all a very Happy Holiday as he was willing to be my test subject while testing my new Canon T2i Rebel DSLR I got early for xMas. I was excited to finally get a camera that could really show off the beauty of this rig IMO - thanks for checking him out. Building "Frank N. Stein" has been a labor of love this year and has many additional upgrades planned for next year as well, including dropping in three GTX 580's in place of his existing GTX 285's.

Frank got reconfigured (again) as well as the entire “Workstation”. “Frank” is more than just the PC, he is made up of multiple components aside from his impressive components, he is connected to equally impressive peripherals as well. This build started in Feb of this year and we have gone through many upgrades, changes, reconfigurations, and complete rerouting of tubing, cooling solutions, and so on.

In a nutshell, Frank is one powerful work/gaming machine that has served me well. This was my first extreme build and one I am very proud of. From his Core i7 975EE oc’s to 4.6Ghz, to the FOUR GTX 285’s in tri-SLI and dedicated Physx, Frank boasts a superior cooling system that keeps him chillin no matter the extent of the gaming, rendering, or work times I put him through. The Koolance ERM-2K3UCU in the rack dissipates 2000W of heat very effectively. The Yamaha A/V Receiver takes an optical feed from the XFi Titanium card and pushes a 5.1 Klipsch surround speaker system - very nicely I may add. Rounding out the “Experience” are the three Asus monitors on a three monitor stand hovering over my desk and sitting on top of the dedicated UPS for just the monitors.

Frank has a dedicated Rack Mounted UPS which provides clean power to the Silverstone 1500W PSU pushing Frank’s components through custom sleeved power cables feeding the system in every power input connection. The rack contains another UPS that is provided to protect and provide clean power to the rest of the components in the rack, including the two 4-bay SATA HDD bays, allowing Frank to run a total of 14 Hard Drives with over 14TB of storage space. Two of those drives are set in a RAID 0 and are used for Boot only because they are Mushkin 64GB SSD’s, while the two WD 300GB VelociRaptors in RAID 0 run all programs, games, and additional storage.

So now you can understand why Frank has gone through multiple iterations this year as I have tried to find that “perfect combination” of beauty and functionality. This is one build I am very excited to show off to those who can appreciate the work, passion, and excitement something like this can bring.

029tj.jpg

036db.jpg

052dt.jpg

065yo.jpg

070pn.jpg

076fk.jpg

092dw.jpg

096hi.jpg

110rof.jpg

Much thanks, I really love the pics this camera can do and Frank makes such a willing subject. I now how about a gazillion pictures to choose from - I certainly do not miss the "film age" when I really had to want to take a picture and want to pay for it to be printed. I LOVE technology, I guess it shows. lol

ty ty ty - I love this Canon T2i, such freaking awesome pics. So glad Frank was such a willing subject and that I could share it with this forum.

For many years I used to come here drooling over the many amazing builds and the various configurations waiting for the day I could join the ranks - I am just proud that I could give back to the forum with these postings. [H] was there when I started building Frank and I needed advice on water cooling - so thank you all for the kind words and checking out Frank.

For some reason I really like the pic showing the back of monitors and the arm holding it. Looks just so beastly lol. Awesome pics! /drool

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/6964/029tj.jpg[/IMG]
[MG]http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1091/036db.jpg[/IG]
[IG]http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/1617/052dt.jpg[/MG]
[MG]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7163/065yo.jpg[/MG]
[IG]http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/7157/070pn.jpg[/MG]
[MG]http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2963/076fk.jpg[/MG]
092dw.jpg

[MG]http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/2230/096hi.jpg[/MG]
[MG]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2895/110rof.jpg[/MG]

The1stCAV, what's that belkin device under the monitors?

The1stCAV, what's that belkin device under the monitors?

I think he said it was a UPS just for the monitors.

Honestly, Frank looks weak standing beside that big-ass tower.
You have some serious electronics there my friend.
Obviously some quality time spent on every detail. Outstanding.

I have to agree - if it wasn't electronics, my wife would be more jealous of Frank than she is now.

thanks.
what model ? it looks expensive, i probably can't afford.

That is the UPS dedicated for the Monitors
Belkin PureAV (AP30800FC10) (AP30800FC10-BLK) UPS Systemfrom $228.99
Form Factor: Rack-Mountable
Output Power (VA): 1200 VA
Output Power (W): 640 W
Max Backup Time With Full Load: 40 Minutes
005bz.jpg

Honestly, Frank looks weak standing beside that big-ass tower.
You have some serious electronics there my friend.
Obviously some quality time spent on every detail. Outstanding.
Thanks for noticing all the other work aside from "Frank" that has gone into this - yes, there is some great gear in that rack. Frank isn't intimidated by the rack, he knows its there to support him. Here is a breakdown of that rack:
006nx.jpg

I just received another shelf as well which I will be placing a home server on in a HTPC case I had in the closet. So the top shelf will be adding another "component to the rack which will handle the media and home server roles. I have a home server in an Antec P180 right now. Once I adjust the vertical loops that went wrong, update the red LED's in the Koolance unit and put the home server in the rack, I'll drop a could pics on to show the updates.
007chq.jpg

Thanks for the view and comments. Frank has been a lot of wrok and being an old installer of telecom gear in telco's, I am just never too far from some form of equipment rack I guess. I always loved the beauty of a stack of electronics, so I guess somewhere inside I felt the need to accumulate my own "stack" and put it together.

The sad thing is though the way technology is - once you get it together, its out dated.

I am already looking at the next upgrades from three 24" 3D capable screens to three GTX 580's and so on. It never ends..............

For some reason I really like the pic showing the back of monitors and the arm holding it. Looks just so beastly lol. Awesome pics! /drool

Here are a few more angles of the monitor stand from the backside as well.
001slvi.jpg

002spel.jpg

003rro.jpg

004um.jpg

I am totally envying this setup lol!

Welcome to the ranks many of us have found ourselves in over the years on this forum. This is my version of drool, however there are many other posts here I drool over that inspire me to want to do even more - its the nature of the beast. I live on here just to see what others do and get my own inspirations for my builds. There are some amazing and talented people on this forum that can build some incredible rigs and workstations in so many varieties. Its just awesome - and I am sure the hardware manufacturers love it, it must be doing its part in driving this portion of the component industry.

Once you get to a certain point, you start looking at what you can do more to put your personality and self into your build/workstation. For me this is first my business machine and second my gaming/media/graphics rendering station, so I have the fortunate ability to use this daily, the only problem is I never leave work - or basically this PC unless I am heading downstairs to the "other" work station I just posted in "Post your workstation 2011".

Here is a shot of that one:
044zq.jpg

The1stCAV

Awesome! I love rack mountable gear also. Something about the "neatness" and I guess.
What brand is that rack shelf? Where are those type of racks used, I'm more used to the studio-type rack. Looks suitable for my printers and anything that needs more accessibility.

They are called a Relay Rack or Telco Rack - used mainly in telecom environments ot wiring closets in varying heights and either a 19" or a 22" wide config. I usually installed 22" wide x 7 ft high racks in telecom offices "back in the day" (way back we used to put in 19' high x 22" wide racks before gear got smaller), but this one is a 5 foot high,19" wide rack.

http://www.racksolutions.com/server-racks/open-frame-racks/relay-racks.html

Here are the shelves as well:
http://www.racksolutions.com/rack-shelves/2post-shelves

I am a huge fan of racks & shelves, just helps keep things cleaned when you start piling gear in one place.

Thanks! I'll look into those. Could use some casters.

They do sell the casters as well if you want it to be moved around. I like mine stationary though so I chose not to. I didnt want it wandering too far from Frank :D its the only thing that keeps him grounded - as in his current place (not electrically - lol).

Thanks, I just dropped a Windows Home Server now into that rack as well, so things have already expanded there...............

DUDE your set up is sweet
TY - I like to think so :D - just givin some postings back to [H] in return for the many other rigs people post that I drool over and get ideas from.
Thanks for posting more of the arm. Really like the look of it!
Yeah I never thought much of it until you made mention, then I took the pictures and was like "wow you have a point". It does look pretty tight, Planar did good on the design. Holding three 24" Asus Monitors on that UPS, it stays pretty stable. I have been very happy with it.

HAPPY NEW YEAR NAHID! GReat to hear from you man - wishing you the absolute best in 2011 - woot!

You too buddy, always good to hear from you. I got your text as well. :)

We need to Halo it up one of these Saturday nights!

that is an impressive set up but i could not have something like that in my house too many clumsy people.

LMAO- absolutely correct - it is a Areon want to be, but has served me well for the last two years.

that is an impressive set up but i could not have something like that in my house too many clumsy people.
Which is why I had to wait until it was just my wife and I and she simply comes to the door and stands, I am the only one to venture into the cave. :D

lol - yeah and the A/V Receiver pushing those is a Pioneer SC-27 Elite that houses seven channels of Class D ICE Amps at 140w each channel. Those subwoofers are only 350W each sustained power.

The speakers are Paradigm Studio 100's and the center channel is a Paradigm CC-590. The subwoofers are MFW-15's. The Samsung 55" is the 8000 Series edge lit LED version

My daughters friends come over and sit on the couch with mouths wide open - they cannot believe not only how loud it gets, but how freaking clear it is as it gets louder. Movie time is a fun time - Game time is like a war zone in here................

lol - yeah and the A/V Receiver pushing those is a Pioneer SC-27 Elite that houses seven channels of Class D ICE Amps at 140w each channel. Those subwoofers are only 350W each sustained power.

The speakers are Paradigm Studio 100's and the center channel is a Paradigm CC-590. The subwoofers are MFW-15's. The Samsung 55" is the 8000 Series edge lit LED version

My daughters friends come over and sit on the couch with mouths wide open - they cannot believe not only how loud it gets, but how freaking clear it is as it gets louder. Movie time is a fun time - Game time is like a war zone in here................

I would love to listen to that setup man. Dang...I wish you were my neighbor...:(

If you were I would let you - as it stands my neighbors would disagree with you, they do not care for it when I am watching things like Transformers or Iron man or crank Godsmack/Metalica/etc, I tend to rattle their windows.

Back