Frame Latency

Does anybody know when the memory manager rewrite will be finalized for driver? I just switched from nvidia 580 to an ati 7950 and some games feel nearly broken the stutter is so bad. Catalyst 13.3 beta and I can't enjoy Far Cry 3 cause of this. I may put the 580 back in just to finish this game though I get less actual frames.

Any info much appreciated.

far cry 3 broken game ton of issues with it
might be old drivers causing issues also.

Have you tried limiting the frames? If I do not use frame limiter or v-sync my SLI and Crossfire run so so.

Farcry 3 runs smooth for me running 7970 tri fire only by using a Frame Limiter in Afterburner set at 60, no vsync.

Does anybody know when the memory manager rewrite will be finalized for driver? I just switched from nvidia 580 to an ati 7950 and some games feel nearly broken the stutter is so bad. Catalyst 13.3 beta and I can't enjoy Far Cry 3 cause of this. I may put the 580 back in just to finish this game though I get less actual frames.

Any info much appreciated.

Is your 7950 a boost edition? If it is you might have to go into CCC and put the powertune to +20% to avoid throttling. Farcry on my 7970 has no stuttering but it does give the hottest temperature of all my games including crysis 3.

Sounds like either a driver conflict (occasionally still happens when switching from NVidia to AMD and vice versa), or outdated drivers. My 7950 runs far cry 3 without any stuttering on 12.2 Beta 6

Sounds like either a driver conflict (occasionally still happens when switching from NVidia to AMD and vice versa), or outdated drivers. My 7950 runs far cry 3 without any stuttering on 12.2 Beta 6

As stated in post im on 13.3 beta not old at all. Not all games do this but the ones that do it hurts.

I will try the limited frames thing.

Is your 7950 a boost edition? If it is you might have to go into CCC and put the powertune to +20% to avoid throttling. Farcry on my 7970 has no stuttering but it does give the hottest temperature of all my games including crysis 3.
hmmm I just looked at afterburner and the clocks were going back n forth to the boost speed, but then again all games were doing it but not all games are showing frame latency.

Yea but the problem is far cry is a hell lot more demanding than most other games, try forcing it to stay at 925 and see if that corrects the issue.

The power limit being raised has helped immensely. None of my games are jumping from 850 to 1050 anymore and are much more smooth. hmm wonder why they would boost the card to its limit to where it would cause problems in games? Not every gamer would be able to figure this out on there own and would just assume the card sucks. Maybe its cause im on pci express 2.0? I think I heard 3.0 delivers more power to the card.

Still curious on the memory manager rewrite though. If youre not aware of this issue check out TechReport as they are the lead site on this issue.

You didn't assume the card sucks, you assumed AMD and their drivers suck rofl. Anyway, an enthusiast overclocking their CPU to 4.5 under water should be able to successfully navigate this issue.

You didn't assume the card sucks, you assumed AMD and their drivers suck rofl. Anyway, an enthusiast overclocking their CPU to 4.5 under water should be able to successfully navigate this issue.

exactly my point. I'm somewhat versed on this stuff. The typical gamer isnt and they would just assume the card sucks. "der the card stutters pos im returning it etc" .. I knew about the latency issue before I bought it but I still purchased because amd has a driver coming out that will tackle the issue.

AMD latencies are well documented so give the guy a break.
More importantly you are assuming the memory management driver will have any noticeable positive affect on performance. It will not. It will simply improve the way the card handles it's ram and will make it easier for the driver team to optimize for games.
If anything the memory driver will decrease peak performance to maximize efficiency.

What you need is a driver that fixes specific latencies in specific games. Which they have done for four games.. so you will have to wait for the others. They will come faster when the re-write is done and they can more efficiently handle optimizations.

Back