FragBox 2 Failure Ruffles Falcon Feathers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered a Fragbox 2 on March 29 of this year and received the unit in early May. Absolute joy until I realized the system would crash at random times while in full screen 3D, just as did the subject of the review did, only I was playing World of Warcraft or Unreal Tournament 2003 or 2004.

Failures could be 15 minutes apart or greater than 8 hours apart, making it very hard to know if an adjustment or tweak had made a difference. The unit was ultimately returned to Falcon on June 15. On July 17, the decision was made to rebuild the same CPU, memory, disk drives, sound card and optical drive into the Mach V case. The rebuilt system was finally received Aug 3 and has worked like a dream ever since.

There was definitely an odd problem with the 6800GT512 video card the Fragbox2 shipped with. Once warm, but not overly so, there would be memory corruption with distortion of meshes in space - I have some truly weird screenshots. BFG and Falcon both regarded that card as bad and it was replaced with the BFG 7800GTX in the rebuild.

I believe - and will always believe - there was an issue with the particular motherboard in that Fragbox 2 and will give an anecdote: I took a screenshot in WoW and saved it to disk. With WoW still running, from another PC on the same LAN I tried to copy that file across the LAN, first an open attempt into Photoshop and then using just Windows Exploprer. Both attempted file operations would crash and totally lock the Fragbox! Disabling the Audigy soundcard would correct this problem.

Do you suppose the motherboard I had was a unique dud and got built into the review machine ;)

I have to say that this is the first major mistake I have seen Kyle & Company make. While I understand that they didn't want the same system back because of the extra work, I don't understand why they didn't agree to re-review a similar or identical new system. I admit I didn't read the whole 15 pages prior to this, so if I missed someone posting the reason, I apologize.

Kyle is normally right on with his humor and harshness, but I think he misjudged this one.

Red Shirt said:
I have to say that this is the first major mistake I have seen Kyle & Company make. While I understand that they didn't want the same system back because of the extra work, I don't understand why they didn't agree to re-review a similar or identical new system. I admit I didn't read the whole 15 pages prior to this, so if I missed someone posting the reason, I apologize.

Kyle is normally right on with his humor and harshness, but I think he misjudged this one.

They made ****ONE**** mistake. That was pulling the plug on the system rather than going through shipping the unit back for repair. They know this, it's been said before. This thread needs to die. How much more can be said?

Red Shirt said:

I understand they don't want a custom configured system, but why not re-evaluate the system, by anonymously ordering it, again. This way it can be proven that there are problems with the enitre product line, or conversely that the first system they received was faulty and can finally evaluate the true power of the system.

EDIT : because some people are more concerned with semantics

For the last time would some of you people start reading instead of flinging around unsubstantiated comments?

1) We WILL be evaluating another Falcon
2) We WILL be evaluating another FragBox, but it will be on our terms. IE we will be ordering one AGAIN via credit card.

Morley said:
For the last time would some of you people start reading instead of flinging around unsubstantiated comments?

1) We WILL be evaluating another Falcon
2) We WILL be evaluating another FragBox, but it will be on our terms. IE we will be ordering one AGAIN via credit card.

Will you be doing it anonymously?

Draax said:
Will you be doing it anonymously?

Dear Lord....

Why do we do it, Chris?

It reminds me of the scene in the Odd Couple when Walter Matthau is feverently trying to tell Jack Lemmon something, and he looks up at the sky and says, "Why doesn't he hear me, Lord? I know I'm talking, I recognize the sound of my voice!"

DNA Doc said:
Dear Lord....

Why do we do it, Chris?

It reminds me of the scene in the Odd Couple when Walter Matthau is feverently trying to tell Jack Lemmon something, and he looks up at the sky and says, "Why doesn't he hear me, Lord? I know I'm talking, I recognize the sound of my voice!"

You do realize it may be hard to do it anonymously after already stating you will on boards read by the same people you will be trying to get the system from ? and making it clear which type of payment you are going to use.

To think either company is not going to try and figure out which system is going to you guys, after previous reviews ... is a little naive don't you think ?

Draax said:
You do realize it may be hard to do it anonymously after already stating you will on boards read by the same people you will be trying to get the system from ? and making it clear which type of payment you are going to use.

To think either company is not going to try and figure out which system is going to you guys, after previous reviews ... is a little naive don't you think ?
LOL, leave it alone dude, I do this for a living.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back