Fractla Design Define XL R2 - updated model!

stratosrally

Limp Gawd
Saw this - I appreciate some of the changes they've made:

http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=2&prod=111

Comes with 3 hydraulic bearing R2 140mm fans - one in the front, one in the bottom, and one at the rear.

They did away with the troublesome top 180mm angled fan mount, takes 2 x 140mm fans up top.

It'll take a 240 rad up front afer removing or repositioning cages, a 240 top or a thin 280, and a 120 bottom.

9 expansion slots, 3 speed fan controller, 3 of those Modu-Vents, Titanium Grey or Black Pearl finish.

The HDD cages can be removed, rotated, and the bottom one has yet a 3rd alternate postion if you need radiator space.

I'm liking this one!

edit: MSRP $129.99, February 2013 release date

Can we get a comparo test between this, the Corsair 550D, the BitFenix Ghost, the Nanoxia Deep Silence 1, and the Antec P280?

... and please test them with a single GPU and then SLI, for noise levels and cooling?

Someone?

Bueller?

Last edited:
reduces the total number of hard drives from 14 to 9 me no like.

reduces the total number of hard drives from 14 to 9 me no like.

You win some and you lose some... I gather you run large drive arrays?

I'll confess to not needing more than 3 HDD + an SSD.

Nifty easy-swap front fan mount is also new.

Looks pretty nice, one thing I didn't like about the previous models was the weird rear slot layout. They just need an ARC version now.

You win some and you lose some... I gather you run large drive arrays?

I'll confess to not needing more than 3 HDD + an SSD.

Nifty easy-swap front fan mount is also new.

ya I was actually going to buy an XL soon too, guess i won't wait for the R2.

Who the fuck needs that many HDD's? I"m so glad im not a data whore

I'm glad you're not too, you sound like you'd be terrible at it.

Who the fuck needs that many HDD's? I"m so glad im not a data whore

A year ago I would have probably sided with you. But then I started converting all our DVD's and Bluray's to a server to stream them to various TV's. At about 4GB per DVD and 12-16GB per Bluray the space gets gobbled up fast.

I currently have 9 drives in my server

4x2TB for movies (~500 movies)
3x1TB for tv shows (~500 TV episodes)
1 SSD for music (~60GB)
1 system drive

And I'm looking to expand (replace the 3x1 with 4x2TB). I'm at about half capacity right now. I don't really want to get above about 75%.

I have no bit torrent software on any of my computers. And I do not download or upload anything. But being able to just select a movie on an Apple TV (or whatever your preference of network box) and it starts playing instantly is SOOOO much better then sitting through 4-5 minutes of ads and warnings.

Plus my disc's sit peacfully in their case (or changers) and I don't have to worry about them getting lost or scratched, and I can limit what can be watched based on rating or whatever else I choose.

Based on the modular design they show, if you can purchase the cage seperatly, it looks like you could add another 4 HDD's to the case.

fractal_design_drives.JPG

Based on the modular design they show, if you can purchase the cage seperatly, it looks like you could add another 4 HDD's to the case.

Good catch!

I didn't even think of that... and you can always use 5.25" to 3.25" bay adapters up top as needed.

Back