• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Fractal R4 or other case?

Fester

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 6, 2010
Messages
85
Hello,

I’m working on my 1st PC build, with very limited technical knowledge.
The case that I’m strongly considering buying is the Fractal R4. The minimalistic look of the case really appealed to me. However, I want to make sure that I don’t overlook a case that may fit my needs. Noise, Cooling, and functionality are important to me. Also, it must have USB 3.0 ports in front. I am not looking for a case with a glass panel or a lot of lights.

1) Is there a case that has a better internal configuration than the Fractal R4?

2) Regarding the Fractal R4, does the side acrylic window panel add to the noise level?

3) OT: Any recommendation on which Noctua fans to purchase, if I do decide on the R4?

Below is my current configuration (all products have been purchased):

HARDWARE

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card 02G-P4-2678-KR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

SSD Hard Drive: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-148-442

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186

Optical Drive: Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106335

Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2412M Black IPS Panel 24" 8ms Pivot, Swivel & Height Adjustable LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 2,000,000:1 (1000:1) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260047

Speaker: DELL UltraSharp and Professional Series 468-7412 10 W 2.0 AX510 Flat Panel Stereo SoundBar http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836260002&Tpk=Dell AX510

Power Supply: ?

Case: ?

SOFTWARE

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium
Productivity Suite: Office 2010 Home & Student Edition
 
I just got my Fractal Design R4 a couple days ago and I love it!

It is very roomy inside, especially if you take the middle drive cage out. Also you have about an inch of room on the backside of the motherboard to route cables. I didn't even have to use tape this time! :D

Secondly it is very quiet, the sound dampening foam helps in keeping the fan noise down.

I've been building PC's for 15 years now and this is one of the best ones Ive built with.


You and I have basically the same build minus the HDD (patriot pyro) and CPU (2500k). Looks good to me.

I'll recommend this OCZ 750watt PS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341052

I think I may have the previous model , (the blue one) and havent had any issues since I bought it about a year ago.
 
Thanks for the R4 recommendation. I think I'm going to go with it because I really can't find any issues with it so might as well grab it.

Regarding the monitor, I already purchased all those items but thanks for the recommendation anyways.
 
I just moved a PC into an R4 and am very happy with the case. One bit of advice: the case gives you the option of installing SSDs behind the motherboard. I'd skip that since you can't change out the SSD without pulling the motherboard. If this is your first build you're going to want easy access to things if you need to do any trouble shooting. Instead I'd recommend just fastening the SSD to one of the 3.5" sleds with the screws they provide for you.

Tips for case building:

Put some masking tape on each end of your SATA cables and then label each end with the socket on the motherboard you are connecting it to: 0, 1, 2, etc.

Connect your SATA cables to the motherboard and route them before you install your video card.

When hooking up your front panel connectors remember red is + and black is -.

The R4 case has a front panel fan control switch. To use this, plug a four pin molex power cable into the provided wire connector and then the fans into the 3 pin connectors.

Have fun with your build! You should have a sweet rig when you're done. Post back here if you need any advice or tips as you're working!
 
Dually noted. Thanks for the advice. Haven't even thought about extra fan selection yet. I guess that'll be the last thing.

What is your fan setup? It seems that two included in the front and one exhaust in the back is a popular option?
 
My case came with two 140 mm fans in it: one at the bottom front and one at the top rear. There is room for additional fans throughout the case but I'm not using them nor seeing a need to do so. I wouldn't worry too much about extra fans off the bat, you can always add some later. Further, with the continual die shrinkage in the industry parts are becoming pretty heat efficient and easy to cool. The point of the R4 isn't that it gives you ultimate cooling, but that it gives you enough cooling while being quiet. If you're after one of those open air cooling monsters you may want to rethink your choice. :)
 
Love the R4.

The included fans don't push much air though. I got some Akasa Apache 140mm
 
fractal R4 here as well. Def nice case but i wish i kind of went with something bigger considering i want to sli / xfire in the neare future
 
Thanks for the responses. I just got it on Newegg for $79.99 so I'm very happy about that.
 
Back
Top