Fractal Design Meshify 2 simple mod

D-S

n00b
Just gave it a little haircut since I don't intend to ever using 120mm fans.

Left side original, right side rough cut.
IMG_20201123_192248366.jpg

Reassembled (after some filing and sharpie)
IMG_20201127_094511_01.jpg

IMG_20201127_094511_02.jpg

thx

I didn't mod my Define 7 XL, but I also did replace my intake with arctic fans, still super quiet but it did help with the airflow. I used the included Fractal fans as top exhaust.

Last edited:
Reactions: D-S
like this
Yup, I planned the same. Fractal fan on rear exhaust + 2 up top (towards the back). I blocked off the frontmost mounting position with a panel that forms a removable portion of the PSU shroud... not sure if it was an intended use but was almost a perfect fit including screw locations. Will take some pics when I finish the build.

Not sure what I'm going to do for fans on the bottom... I have a couple spare 140mm Artic fans still, but need to look an the PSU length & wether I keep the hdd cage in there or not.

Yup, I planned the same. Fractal fan on rear exhaust + 2 up top (towards the back). I blocked off the frontmost mounting position with a panel that forms a removable portion of the PSU shroud... not sure if it was an intended use but was almost a perfect fit including screw locations. Will take some pics when I finish the build.

Not sure what I'm going to do for fans on the bottom... I have a couple spare 140mm Artic fans still, but need to look an the PSU length & wether I keep the hdd cage in there or not.
I actually did very similar. I used the multibracket that are supposed to be for SSDs to cover up the front part of the top of the case. Mine is in the storage config so that limited space up there a little bit. (7 hard drives at the moment.)
I have a Scythe Kaze RGB as my top rear exhaust and two fractal 140mm as top exhaust.
This is only possible because I have an XL, but I also have a 120mm slim exhaust fan BELOW my GPU which made a huge difference for GPU temps at load. I have pictures in some other threads around here.

Updated my build since August with a pretty obvious change:
View attachment 294833
View attachment 294834

120MM slim fan, due to where my case is located you cannot see inside the case during normal use, but at least it now has a healthy glow. That fan actually made a huge difference in overall case temps, exhausting out all of the GPU hot air instead of letting it circulate inside the case.
Found it. At first i thought it might fight with the GPU's fans but in reality it's just going to encourage flow through that area, providing a fresh supply of air for the GPU and potentially scavenging some of the hot GPU exhaust that splashes against the mobo. Great idea.

Looks like i can probably fit a 80mm in that position with the 3080... will try it out. Thanks!

1607994686171.png

Did most of the wiring/cable management yesterday (only missing the SATA cables for all the drives that will get moved from this computer). The new Corsair PSU cables with the fat capacitor blobs are a pain in the ass, but it's still probably the cleanest job I've ever done. Case is a joy to work with.

And done! Mounting it was a bit of a pain. The heads of the screws on the lower bracket had to sit in between the bracket and case as I didn't want to cut into the case for this (particularly now that everything is assembled). Had to preattache the fan to the brackets, then slide them in. I may some day make a 1-piece bracket to replace these 4, but that's low prio work now that everything is functional. Thanks again for the idea, Sy.

1608084047702.png

Nice!
Note this case claims 420mm radiator compatibility, but will not fit a Liquid Freezer II 420. The radiator is too wide and hits the motherboard I/O header. :(

like this
Nice!
Note this case claims 420mm radiator compatibility, but will not fit a Liquid Freezer II 420. The radiator is too wide and hits the motherboard I/O header. :(
It claims it with a disclaimer on max motherboard height of 35mm, which in english means basically any motherboard that you would probably be using if you were going for a 420 radiator.

And done! Mounting it was a bit of a pain. The heads of the screws on the lower bracket had to sit in between the bracket and case as I didn't want to cut into the case for this (particularly now that everything is assembled). Had to preattache the fan to the brackets, then slide them in. I may some day make a 1-piece bracket to replace these 4, but that's low prio work now that everything is functional. Thanks again for the idea, Sy.

View attachment 309471
Is that 80mm fan noisy? Most of the 80mm fans I've had/used were noisy as hell, lol. Nice mod tho!

View attachment 309471
i'd take those two middle pci slot covers out, let the fan breath a little easier. looks good though.

like this
Let me know how it works for you. RGB has slowly been creeping into my case, so this is what it looks like with the system on.

PXL_20201215_204240128._exported_stabilized_1608065043190.gif

Professional in the front, party in the back.

like this
Is that 80mm fan noisy? Most of the 80mm fans I've had/used were noisy as hell, lol. Nice mod tho!
I can't hear it. The system as a whole is very quiet, and I had the same concern as you... all prior 80mm fans I used were howlers.
So I went with the following: Noctua NF-R8 Redux 1800 PWM. Only criticism I have of it is that the housing is a bit on the brittle side. 2 of the screws chipped some plastic out during attachment, but it didn't happen if I applied a lot of pressure while screwing the fasteners in.
just turn it down, no more noise. ive done this a few times, works good.
Exactly. I put it on a dedicated header so I could throttle it differently to the rest of the case fans.
i'd take those two middle pci slot covers out, let the fan breath a little easier. looks good though.
Temporary. The brackets are fairly airy as is, but I'm probably going to make a single 4-pcie slot bracket with a single hole in the middle and another fan grill which I already have.
Let me know how it works for you. RGB has slowly been creeping into my case, so this is what it looks like with the system on.

Professional in the front, party in the back.
When stressing the GPU I can feel a warm breath coming from it, but I didn't take before/after temps.

I was trying to minimize RBG with this build. All I have is a little strip on the bottom of the TUF Pro and the EVGA logo on the 3080.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back