Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 ticking, normal?

stephen2002

Limp Gawd
I just got my system set up in a new Define R5. The Dynamic GP-14 fans that the case came with seemed to have good specs so I ordered a third to put in as extra intake when I bought the case. All three tick, sounds about like I have a wire hitting them, but they are not obstructed and do so even sitting by themselves outside the case. I'm running them at 7v with the built in fan controller. They also tick at 5v (very quietly) and at 12v (louder). Is this just a "feature" of Fractal's fans or should I try to RMA them?

I just got my system set up in a new Define R5. The Dynamic GP-14 fans that the case came with seemed to have good specs so I ordered a third to put in as extra intake when I bought the case. All three tick, sounds about like I have a wire hitting them, but they are not obstructed and do so even sitting by themselves outside the case. I'm running them at 7v with the built in fan controller. They also tick at 5v (very quietly) and at 12v (louder). Is this just a "feature" of Fractal's fans or should I try to RMA them?

just get those venturi fans instead.

just get those venturi fans instead.
I have a couple of Noctua fans that don't have any clicking noise, one on my CPU cooler and a 120mm that I had in my old case. Fractal's Venturi line is about the same price, any advantage over Noctua?

I have a couple of Noctua fans that don't have any clicking noise, one on my CPU cooler and a 120mm that I had in my old case. Fractal's Venturi line is about the same price, any advantage over Noctua?

Color scheme and matching brand :D may find them cheaper than noctua. Other thab that - no.

A common problem, but not a feature. I would try an RMA.

I have 2 of the R5 cases. I have same amount and type of fans in my case as you do. I do hear a very very low noise that you describe, but I have to open the case door or have my ear close to the case, like 4-5 inches away. I don't hear the noise on my wife's case. I have the fan control switch all the way to right.

I have 2 of the R5 cases. I have same amount and type of fans in my case as you do. I do hear a very very low noise that you describe, but I have to open the case door or have my ear close to the case, like 4-5 inches away. I don't hear the noise on my wife's case. I have the fan control switch all the way to right.
I can hear mine ticking away pretty much anywhere in the room that has the computer in it. I wouldn't mind if the noise was inaudible with the door shut.

I've opened a ticket with Fractal, will see how it gets handled.

I can hear mine ticking away pretty much anywhere in the room that has the computer in it. I wouldn't mind if the noise was inaudible with the door shut.

I've opened a ticket with Fractal, will see how it gets handled.

I'll be glad to help however I can, assuming our support guys haven't already sorted everything out for you. Defects are rare enough on their own, so to have three fans all exhibiting the same issue right out of the box makes me think there's something more to it. Do you have the fans plugged into the R5's built-in fan controller or directly into the motherboard?

I'll be glad to help however I can, assuming our support guys haven't already sorted everything out for you. Defects are rare enough on their own, so to have three fans all exhibiting the same issue right out of the box makes me think there's something more to it. Do you have the fans plugged into the R5's built-in fan controller or directly into the motherboard?
They are all connected to the fan controller. The sound is attached, fans running at full speed in this instance so the click can be heard better.

Attachments

• clicking_normalized.mp3
    77.1 KB · Views: 31
To rule out the R5's fan controller I connected one of the fans to the motherboard. It sounded exactly the same.

That is absolutely bizarre. I've never heard a sound like that come from one of our fans. I talked to support a while ago and they're equally mystified. It would defy all probability for all 3 fans to be defective in a way to cause such a peculiar noise, but I'm not sure what else it could be so we may just go ahead and replace them all just to be sure.

do they do this outside the case? it kinda sounds like air buffeting noise from the case's grills.

Yes they sound about the same outside the case. The audio clip was from an R5 with the front grill removed and I have all of the front HDD bays removed, so very little obstruction.

This isn't my video but it is a set of four of a different fractal fan with the same sound as mine.

That's why I asked if it was just a trait of fractal's motor/fans, since all three of mine make the same sound out of the box, others have reported the same sound. My fans came from two sources ... one was a boxed fan, the other two were included with the case ... so are unlikely to be a bad manufacturing run.

It would defy all probability for all 3 fans to be defective in a way to cause such a peculiar noise, but I'm not sure what else it could be so we may just go ahead and replace them all just to be sure.

Fractal Design NA ,

The fans aren't defective, but I'll bet any replacement sent to stephen2002 also ticks. That's b/c I believe most fans tick this way, including the Fractal Design GP 12, GP 14, and HP Venturi fans I've owned. For those of us with very quiet rigs the tick is easier to pick up on and can get downright annoying.

Of the many fans I've tried, only 3 don't tick: Thermalright's TY-147a, Be Quiet!'s Silent Wings 3, and a Noctua P14s (I hear none of Noctua's fans tick, but the P14s is the only Noctua fan I've owned).

Be Quiet! acknowledged fan ticking in this video, listen until the 11:11 mark; they addressed it by adopting a 6-pole fan motor for their Silent Wings 3 fan. That same video implies Noctua also uses a 6-pole fan motor, which may explain why their fans don't tick, but they also employ technology like this to further reduce any ticking (although that technology is partially irrelevant here since it's pwm-only and this thread is in regard to a non-pwm fan, but it supplements my point that some companies acknowledge fan ticking and take measures to reduce it).

To further supplement (both the tick and how subtle it can be), here's a video of one my Fractal Design Venturi fans ticking (turn your speakers up); you'll find the noise similar to that heard in the video stephen2002 provided above. I RMA'd that fan through Amazon, but the second fan also ticked. To compare to a fan that doesn't tick, here's a video of one of my Thermalright TY-147a fans.

Finally, if it matters, I submitted a support ticket to you guys about this issue back in 2015, ticket #23159. And googling case fans ticking provides enough hits to supplement how widespread this is. I'd like to say Fractal Design's fans are above the rest in this regard, but my experience proves otherwise, as does stephen2002's, and the video he posted. This was never a big problem for me, I simply use fans that I know do not tick, but I wonder if we'll ever see Fractal Design's stance eventually move from "this might be a defect, we'll send you new fans", to instead acknowledging the ticking within your fan lineup, even if the company's consensus is that it's not a defect (I would agree, it isn't) or that it's not something you'll address.

All this said, I continue to enjoy my R5, Core 500, Mini C, Nano S, and Node 304 cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meeho
like this
I did get a replacement set of fans from Fractal via support. The new ones tick as well but now it is at the "I have to put my ear next to the fan" level instead of "I can hear it across the room" so I consider the issue resolved.

I'm happy with the resolution and will keep the Fractal fans in the case until they give out or I decide to go on another quest for even deeper silence. I would recommend a different brand that uses a 6-pole motor if you are sensitive and using the computer in an environment with a low noise floor. If you are using the fans in an environment with a higher noise floor like an office then it likely won't matter.

Last update with some recordings of the replacement fans. This is with the microphone right up on the fan motor.

Attachments

• louder_normalized.mp3
    226.1 KB · Views: 22
  • quietest_normalized.mp3
    188.6 KB · Views: 20
Back