Fractal Design Define S Window Midtower Case

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
TweakTown tossed Fractal Design's Define S Window midtower case on their review bench and have some glowing remarks. If you want to see an example of "bleeding edge" chassis design that isn't referencing a cheaply-made blade-edged metal case, give the review a go.

We will say this however, the Define S is a departure from what most are used to, but we also feel that this is a great step forward in chassis design from Fractal Design, and well worth the time it takes to cruise through our images and see where they are going now.

So how fast does Thermaltake steel the design and claim it as their own? 3 2 1 ...

Interesting, but no external drive bays makes this not suitable for me...not fond of windows either, but I'd consider it if it had had 3 or 4 external bays. I'm sure others will love it. I do like the general look of Fractal cases.

I question the logic of placing all hard drives behind the motherboard tray.
There doesn't appear to be any thought towards airflow for the drives, which seems unwise.

I question the logic of placing all hard drives behind the motherboard tray.
There doesn't appear to be any thought towards airflow for the drives, which seems unwise.

Would it matter? I've certainly had builds without fans and none of those drives would be stacked on top of each others. As a rule, the only reason I've ever had fans on HD's is to increase airflow for other components. I never worried about the HD's themselves and that's still the case.

I like the hard drive placement idea, but I'm tired of that same rectangular box design. I had that same front door design on my Antec P180 and it looks the same to me on every box.

I like the hard drive placement idea, but I'm tired of that same rectangular box design. I had that same front door design on my Antec P180 and it looks the same to me on every box.

The classics never go out of style :cool:

If you like this case but want something a little different (ie where hard drives go, no window etc..) check out the other fractal cases.
There are many based off the same overall base design with the options changed (ie.. I have the Fractal Define R5 ... awesome case)

If you like this case but want something a little different (ie where hard drives go, no window etc..) check out the other fractal cases.
There are many based off the same overall base design with the options changed (ie.. I have the Fractal Define R5 ... awesome case)

None of them quite do it. I really want 3 or 4 external bays, but I don't want it any taller than a P18x. I do want it wider than that Antec line. There are lots of cases that come close, but none that quite do it.

My idea would be something very much like a R5, but with a built in SD and Compact Flash reader, but without that, I'd like an extra bay for a card reader (with the 3rd bay for some miscellaneous device...perhaps a fan controller if I don't like the R5's built in controllers).

I also think the bottom filter pulls from the back, which, if I'm correct, is a dumb design.

They're all really close, but not quite there. Deep Silence is also close, but the ones with the features I like are too tall. I really don't need 8 drive bays. 5 + some SSD mounts behind the MB is more than enough

Back