• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Another review of the Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 has hit the internet. This time around it is the crew at Real World Labs doing the reviewing.

Fractal Design does a really good job of building cases that offer a great balance between cooling, expandability and affordability. At the time of this review the ARC Midi R2 has a retail price of $99, which makes it affordable to a large market segment. Even at this price though, the ARC Midi R2 can accommodate multiple water cooling radiators, the largest graphics cards on the market and more storage drives than you could ever need.
 
Love this case for its simplicity and features. Here's my own build using the Arc Midi R2:



 
That's gorgeous... I have and always will love black, but you've got this white all sexied up.

Which 4 bay are you using? I've almost purchased the Vantec ez swap on several occasions, but couldn't loosen the clutch on my money.

That's a hell of a job on your cable management. Jesus... That's an OCD's dream.

Nice job!
 
Thanks. The 4-bay is an Icy Dock 4 in 1 SAS Hot Swap RAID Cage (the one with a single power connector on the back and a switch to disable the fan).

Here's the (mostly) complete parts list:

parts-list.png
 
Sweet, thanks! Throwing it on my watch list.

HAHAHA I'm in love with it's cleanliness. The inside is sooo slick. I'm not sure what it is in particular that has me giving it the rape-face, but that setup is just right.
 
Just ordered this case from Newegg. They have a 15% off code for it as well as free shipping. $90 after tax for me (live in NJ so pay tax). Will be arriving today. Can't wait to transfer my rig into it!
 
Sweet, thanks! Throwing it on my watch list.

HAHAHA I'm in love with it's cleanliness. The inside is sooo slick. I'm not sure what it is in particular that has me giving it the rape-face, but that setup is just right.

The key, for me at least, is not going completely crazy on the white. I've seen black & white builds where the person painted the radiators and fan bodies white... and it just ends up being too much white, imo. I wanted just enough white to break up the dark areas, but not so much as to become a dominant feature.

Originally, I wrapped the fan shrouds in black nylon and used black gaskets but it was just too much black...so I replaced the black gaskets with white ones and it looked better, but the radiator/shroud/fan assemblies still looked like massive solid blocks. Peeling the nylon off of the shrouds helped break it up just enough, plus, if you look closely, you can see one of the top hoses routed right thru the middle of a shroud. :D
 
Last edited:
You're 100% right. You used just enough. What's funny is the white areas are almost exclusively areas that "flow." The electricity, the water, and the air. That may have been an accident, but it conveys this abstract hidden meaning almost. HAHA I've seen hundreds of cable jobs and mods, but I really like this one. There's so much going on, but it looks very subtle and sexy. I'd love to see this in a case that's more flashy just to see how much it tones it down and gives it this zen quality. You've made a believer out of me in the use of white. I'd normally skip right past it, but now that's not happening.
 
Which of the supplied screw types are one supposed to use for securing the HDD trays to the cage?
 
Back
Top