FPS RPG's

aKrippler

Gawd
I recently finished Half Life 1, then 2, then 2 episode 1, and 2 episode 2. First things first, I know im way behind schedule, but i wanted to replay HL1 before i started, blah, blah. All I can say is WOW, I dont know what it was but I think HL2 was the best game I have ever played IMO. Great story, detailed, great characters, voice acting, everything about the game was amazing. The details of peoples faces, and their exspressions made them feel more personal it was awesome. Another thing i really liked was the whole save the girl feeling you got with Alex throughout some parts of the game, I know sometimes it can be cheesy but when was the last time you got a game with that type of dialogue in it?

But onto the subject, I know about Bioshock, STALKER, Crysis, and I already have Portal to play next (although I havent tried any of them yet). Does anyone know of any other good FPS RPG's to reccomend? I really liked HL 2 episode 2 during the part where everything is blacked out and all you use is your flashlight, zombies popping up everywhere; scary shit. So a horror-esque FPS RPG would be right up my alley.

So really all i need from you guys is to give me some suggestions. :D
Preferably something "scary"

Crysis and Portal are not FPS RPGs, since neither have RPG-specific elements. Bioshock is only an FPS RPG according to a fairly loose definition.

I suppose Hellgate qualifies for certain classes, but it has a lot of issues right now. System Shock 2 might interest you, if you haven't played it. I can't really think of anything else.

Crysis isnt a fps rpg then what is it?? I spent too much time making occy rings, bugged valors, and selling them on ebay to play hellgate it just doesnt look like it would appeal to me, Diablo was just too easy.....

Crysis isnt a fps rpg then what is it??

It's an... FPS. It has an open world, impressive physics, and deeper gameplay elements than most other games in its genre, but it doesn't have character advancement (experience progression, improvable stats, new skills, etc) aside from finding and modifying weapons, nor does it attempt to emphasize story by any significant degree (it's there, but it isn't a centerpiece; the environment and gameplay are).

It has the same basic elements as any other typical FPS. It just happens to have some nifty gameplay stuff (destruction and suit functions) and it's really pretty.

I know you said you already 'know' about it, but from the explanation you gave of what you want, STALKER has to be your next game. You want dark areas with a flash light and scary crap? Wait till you do the labs! It's got a ton of weapons, decently interesting story, characters, and missions. The bad guys (and things) are mostly capable of kicking your ass. Plus, its modern and looks great.

Another route to take may be Oblivion, though I am sure you have heard of that title before :)

Dark Messiah Might & Magic fits the bill. It's not really a shooter though. More of a first person hack n slash. If you use the bow then that approaches FPS status. But there are skills that you develop as you progress through the game. Lots of evil spiders and zombies abound as well, though I wouldn't call it a horror game. Tons of fun though.

Oblivion seems to fit the bill, especially seeing how 3rd person combat in that game is (IMO) crap.

Fun game though!

The Half-Life series is also not FPS-RPG...they are just FPS. FPS-RPG genre includes wonderful games like: Dues Ex, System Shock, System Shock 2, and Bioshock.

But onto the subject, I know about Bioshock, STALKER, Crysis, and I already have Portal to play next (although I havent tried any of them yet). Does anyone know of any other good FPS RPG's to reccomend? I really liked HL 2 episode 2 during the part where everything is blacked out and all you use is your flashlight, zombies popping up everywhere; scary shit. So a horror-esque FPS RPG would be right up my alley.

Stalker and Bioshock are the only 2 you mentioned that have a mix of RPG/FPS elements; I'd suggest checking either one of them out.

I play as a marksman on Hellgate London, and that is DEFINITELY an FPS/RPG.

I spent too much time making occy rings, bugged valors, and selling them on ebay...

Hate to burst your bubble but occy rings haven't been around for about 4 years now, neither have bugged valors..

Anyways, Stalker could be loosely called an FPS RPG I spose.

Hate to burst your bubble but occy rings haven't been around for about 4 years now, neither have bugged valors..

Anyways, Stalker could be loosely called an FPS RPG I spose.

Let that show you how long its been since I played.......

Vampire: Bloodlines. It's available on Steam.

But, in my opinion the term "rpg" is thrown around waaay too loosely.

If game has:
A sword
A numeric statistic

It gets lumped into the RPG category.

how bout fury? fast paced like a FPS except you shoot magic at people rather than bullets. You gain items by participating in PVP

Vampire: Bloodlines. It's available on Steam.

But, in my opinion the term "rpg" is thrown around waaay too loosely.

If game has:
A sword
A numeric statistic

It gets lumped into the RPG category.

I feel that HL2 IS a RPG game, I mean IMO any game where you assume a role of somone that pertains to a story, then its an RPG.

Nah, ur thinkin about it the wrong way. A RPG is a game where you build your character from the ground up and make them how you want them to be. In HL2 gordon freeman is gordon freeman bottom line. You cant change anything about him. So HL2 is simply a FPS.

RPG = role playing game....... I mean its really not worth everyone nit picking about it

Well games are put into categories for a reason. It's like calling a racing game a action/adventure

Back