FPS Mouse Suggestions - SteelSeries Ikari?

wsun

n00b
I've decided that it is time for a new FPS mouse (i've been using the IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 since early 2004). Since the mid-2000s, the market segment has flooded with a bunch of new players, and now the quest for a new gaming mouse is even more difficult.

I'm looking for a mouse that primarily is optical.. For me, it's a toss up between: (in order of preference)

SteelSeries Ikari Optical
Logitech MX518
Razer Deathadder (exception - i've been hearing of glowing reviews for its sensor)
or.. the re-make of the Intellimouse 3.0

My budget is set at 50$ maximum.
I've heard some great things and some negative things about the Ikari mouse. A more focused and less mainstream group of gamers end up using that mouse, and I don't see why more people have bought into it. I've heard of horror stories and glory stories, and the general feedback on the mouse has been so inconsistent, that i'm really mixed as to whether I should buy it or not. I've used SteelSeries products before (back in the day, when they were still called SteelPad), but i'm skeptical as to whether a mousepad company can make a quality mouse. I'm coming from an MX Revolution, and the general shape of the mouse looks nearly identical.

I'm not too sure about the Logitech or the DA mouse, though. The DA appears to be very cheap with some very tacky LEDs, and nuisances of software drivers (USB specific). However, it has received glowing reviews amongst the 50-billion review sites I must have sifted through.. so it must be decent. The 518 is a cool choice, but the silver design with the 'faux indents' just makes me sick to my stomach.

At the end of the day, I just want the gaming mouse that can kick the most ass for low-sensitivity gaming, and still champion itself as a survivor of rage-slams and LANs. (While giving me a run for my money on control).

Soo, this brings me to my final question: Should I choose the Ikari? Or are the 518 and DA still king?

All three seem to be pretty much equal in terms of performance. The only advice I can really give is for you to try them out yourself. You'll have people who swear by each model and people who hate them, but the only way to really know what mouse is best for you is to try some out and see for yourself.

All three seem to be pretty much equal in terms of performance. The only advice I can really give is for you to try them out yourself. You'll have people who swear by each model and people who hate them, but the only way to really know what mouse is best for you is to try some out and see for yourself.

+1

I have the MX518 myself and I like it so far. It provides easy sensitivity control, a clicking mouse scroll (if you're into that), two convenient thumb buttons, ergonomic shape and hand placement for small to medium hands, a DPI range of 400 to 1800, optical, and relatively cheap for a gaming mouse. Also if you're upset about the looks of the mouse, you need to start concentrating more on gaming than how your mouse looks. I dunno about you, but I like to play games that take my full concentration, not games that allow me to stare at my mouse. That's like complaining about how your gas and brake pedals look in your car even if they work great.

However, I could not tell you about the other mice. I would definitely follow Zero's advice and try them out to see which fits you best. It's like trying on a pair of shoes. One person might like it and another might hate it. That doesn't mean either are wrong, it's just about preferences.

Yep, those are all popular options. You should choose based on what fits your hand!

I've been a dedicated MSIE 3.0 user for a long time, becuase they fit my fat hand so well! I've been using a Habu for the 6 months, and I love it. Its basically a Razor mouse in a shape thats very similar to the MSIE3.0, and its only 50 bucks. Check it out.

Also if you're upset about the looks of the mouse, you need to start concentrating more on gaming than how your mouse looks. I dunno about you, but I like to play games that take my full concentration, not games that allow me to stare at my mouse. That's like complaining about how your gas and brake pedals look in your car even if they work great.

Appearance matters when the only difference between two of the mice mentioned in my post share identical sensors, but are separated by two things: ergonomics and general design. I usually allow appearance of the mouse to slide past, but Logitech must've been on some serious bud thinking that a silver faceplate with 'faux' bullet holes would look halfway decent for a desktop.

Concentration on games is irrelevant. Perhaps you should try concentrating on better analogies, rather than nitpicking personal preferences on a computer forum. You've been on the forum for 21 days too much to know better. You're clearly a function over form man, and i'm a man who prefers a mixture of both. You don't see Bond driving around in a Civic. Besides, it's nice to have a mouse that looks as great as it functions. Is there anything so wrong with that?

To the rest of the responses:

Thanks for your inputs so far. Much like one of the posters above, i've been an IME 3.0 man for quite some time. I'm still leaning towards Ikari - only con about it is that fact that I can't find it in stores. Have any of you guys come from / still use the Logitech MX Revolution for purposes other than gaming? Which mouse is most alike it in the ergonomics department?

I generally tend to ''claw'' the mouse with low sens on a Supermat (essentially a cloth pad.. QcK Heavy will come later).. perhaps that would be of some more help as to narrowing down which is best?

Have any of you guys come from / still use the Logitech MX Revolution for purposes other than gaming? Which mouse is most alike it in the ergonomics department?

I generally tend to ''claw'' the mouse with low sens on a Supermat (essentially a cloth pad.. QcK Heavy will come later).. perhaps that would be of some more help as to narrowing down which is best?

There aren't any mice that are really similar to the Revolution, although Logitech mice would be the closest (after all, they made the thing). The Revolution body design is an evolution of the design that the MX518 uses, so you should try one out and see if you like the shape. The G5 also uses the same body style, which means that it won't be difficult for you to find at least one mouse with that body shape to try. The Ikari and DeathAdder are based around similar hand-filling shapes, but they're more different from the Revolution than the MX518 is.

The three mice you picked out are actually better-suited for a full-hand grip than a claw grip as a result of their design. Razer is usually the company to go to for fingertip mice, although the DeathAdder happens to be an exception to their typical design. You may want to have a look at the Diamondback 3G for a fingertip mouse. It uses the same optical sensor as the DA, but it has a shorter and longer body shape that's better for fingertip mousing.

I loved my Revolution for its looks and ergonomics, but it was over all a mediocre at best general desktop mouse, and a horrible gaming mouse. With mine the constant shifts to low power mode resulted in very noticeable lag -- I always thought it was insane Logitech didn't offer an option to turn off the low power mode, or at very least set a longer period of inactivity before it switched to it. I sold it as a result, though I still miss the little stealth fighter.

I am not a high sensitivity gamer, but I absolutely love the Razer Copperhead. I've had zero issues with it despite the generally negative feeling toward laser based mice on this forum. I come from a long line of Logitech mice (MouseMan Pro Click, MX310, MX518, several others) so I was used to the palm grip style and the Copperhead took some serious getting used to. Once I switched to a fingertip grip it was amazing. I would not, however, suggest you get /any/ Razer mouse if 'rage slams' are in its future. The things are made to be very light and easy to move, and this does not translate to tank like durability. I have treated mine well and had zero issues with it, but many others have come here whining when they dropped theirs off a desk too many times or threw it against a wall only to find themselves down a mouse.

You might also check out the Silverstone Raven, though I don't believe it's available yet.

'Rage slams', though... might want to just try and calm down there. These are electronics were talking about here. Generally not the toughest things in the world. Might want to stay with Logitech for that reason alone, they tend to build a layer or two of extra plastic in.

Back