• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

FPD2185W: Screen Blanks When Playing Media

Galael

n00b
Joined
Dec 25, 2005
Messages
7
I built a rig about a month and a half ago. Specs are:

Opty 148
Antec 550 Truepower
DFI Lanparty nF4 Expert
WD Caviar SE 320GB
G. Skill PC3200 2GB (2x1GB)
Geforce 7800GT
X-fi Xtrememusic
Gateway FPD2185W

Running on XP w/ SP2. Everything was working fine and I've been really happy with it, but yesterday, I went to watch a few videos, and no matter which player I used, the screen would go black except for a banded row across the top after a few seconds. I know the video was still playing in the background, because I could hear it through my speakers and I could also pause/unpause the video. However, I simply could not get the picture to come back. I tried restarting and changing some monitor settings, but everytime as soon as I loaded a video file (.avi or otherwise), one or two seconds later the screen did it again.

Id been running it fairly constantly, so I left it off overnight, but that doesnt seem to have helped. Also, I uninstalled then reinstalled all codecs and players. No go. Im going to try it through my VGA cable later today, but if that doesnt work, I'm out of ideas.
Everything is still under warranty so that shouldnt be an issue, but since it only happens when I play a video file (music and all other programs work fine) and the file itself continued to play, I am unsure as to the cause. Any advice on possible solutions? Or should I try to get a replacement?

Thanks.
 
I believe Ive found the problem, but I have no idea how to fix it. When I play a video file, it seems the monitor shifts the the screen view down so that only a small band can be seen at the bottom of the monitor. Even when I close the player, the effect remains and the only way I have found to fix it is to restart the pc. But then when I start another file, the same thing happens. Any suggestions on this?
 
do u have dual monitor setup? because that's what happened to me when I tried to span across the two screens. One screen would play half of the video, while the other half of the video would be just blank on the second monitor.
 
No, I dont. It was somehow set to dual monitor, but I thought I had fixed that. Ill try again, but it shouldnt revert to that setting, should it?

Any other ideas?
 
Back
Top