FP16 blending in action

tranCendenZ

2[H]4U
Not sure if you are all aware of this, but Nvidia's Timbury demo utilizes FP16 blending to achieve the lighting effects in the demo. If you have a 6800, its definitely worth checking out as the lighting is incredible. This is the same technology CryTek is currently tweaking for the FarCry 1.3 patch. Here is the Timbury demo:
http://download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone/demos/nvidia/timbury.exe

And some 1600x1200 screenshots
tim1.jpg

tim2.jpg

tim3.jpg

tim4.jpg

tim5.jpg

Nvidia's demo's are always so boring... why can't they make nice looking ones and entertaining ones... and maybe a screensaver or two using the technology...

lol, screensavers... I remember those.

Btw the nvidia demos always blow me away, how about screens of nalu and clear sailing? Ive only seen the low qual video.

Anyone remember ATI's demo for the 9700 that had the balls bouncing around on all the musical instruments? Now that was an awesome demo! Why can't the NVIDIOTS make something like that?

blbrchnk said:
Anyone remember ATI's demo for the 9700 that had the balls bouncing around on all the musical instruments? Now that was an awesome demo! Why can't the NVIDIOTS make something like that?

First of all, read this:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=777928

Second, the 9700 demo was not an original idea of ATI's, it is a copy of a scene from the computer animated DVD title "Animusic"
http://www.animusic.com/

Lord of Shadows said:
lol, screensavers... I remember those.

Btw the nvidia demos always blow me away, how about screens of nalu and clear sailing? Ive only seen the low qual video.
Nalu is the best of the 3 6800 demos, timbury is also pretty nice looking.

clear sailing is pretty boring. Zooming in for detail is pretty impressive, but the rest of it is lame.

In self running mode, you can't really see everything. Manual control lets you zoom in on the details.

pxc said:
Nalu is the best of the 3 6800 demos, timbury is also pretty nice looking.

clear sailing is pretty boring. Zooming in for detail is pretty impressive, but the rest of it is lame.

In self running mode, you can't really see everything. Manual control lets you zoom in on the details.

In terms of technical aspects, I like the way Timbury looks best, followed by Nalu.

In terms of which I'd rather look at, it would be Nalu ;)

Clear Sailing is pretty boring, wasn't impressed technically or artistically by it.

blbrchnk said:

www.animusic.com

Ati did very little work to make that happen, as those people had made everything already

also nvidia did the same thing with the ogre demo, by buying the rights to convert it into real time rendering

DermicSavage said:
www.animusic.com

Ati did very little work to make that happen, as those people had made everything already

also nvidia did the same thing with the ogre demo, by buying the rights to convert it into real time rendering

They bought the Ogre demo? That was a pretty yawn demo imo.

tranCendenZ said:
They bought the Ogre demo? That was a pretty yawn demo imo.

yea, I can fully agree to that

I'd liek to see ATi or nVidia make a demo outta rockfish :)
EDIT: bah seems the site is missing the movie file

Look at all the jaggies in the 4th screenshot... .jpg causing this? Or did you not have AA on?

heyheyhey said:
Look at all the jaggies in the 4th screenshot... .jpg causing this? Or did you not have AA on?

I doubt AA was enabled, but note when that is in motion, you will hardly notice it. And also note, that the screen shot is 1600x1200 while you are very likely running less then that on your desktop

heyheyhey said:

AA is not enabled. Set your monitor to the screenshots native resolution (1600x1200) and they aren't really all that noticable.

Remember, AA doesn't work with FP16 blending. Take a look at the demo in motion, the impressive lighting definitely is much cooler than AA. For instance, you mention jaggies in the 4th screenshot, but check out the lighting on those clouds - they look incredibly real.

Timbury is by far the best... the level of detail is just simply amazing - so much so that it's hard to believe that it's actually being rendered in realtime 3D. The story is also pretty 'cute' and entertaining to watch, though I wish it lasted longer. If you have the means to download it I really encourage you to do so. :)

Nalu is totally boring and non-revolutionary - it's fucking Dawn underwater. BO-RING.

Pirates... well hell I don't even understand what the big deal is. I almost thought I had gotten hold of one of the old Geforce 3 demos by mistake. :rolleyes:

What's wrong with you lot? Timbury is probably the fugliest demo I've ever seen....

Back