• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

FP Audio Header conversion, HD to AC97

LoneWolf

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 13, 2004
Messages
3,190
I'm doing an "upgrade" of a family system. At the heart of it is an Intel D865PERL (Rock Lake) mainboard (yes, old, I know, but perfect for what I'm trying to accomplish). The case is a quality unit, but is older, so it has no front panel connectors of its own.

I have a 3.5" front panel bay lying around from an Intel D975XBX (BadAxe) mainboard, perfect for my purposes, and the USB and Firewire headers work fine. However, it appears the older mainboard has an AC97 audio header, and the connector on the panel bay is Intel HD Audio --when I plug it in, the system thinks that headphones are plugged in and mutes the rear audio.

I have all the pinout diagrams of both, but my brain is about out of juice at the moment (too much going on in life) so I'm just going to ask --who knows if I can convert the HD connector over to AC97 format, and if so, which pins do I have to switch on the cable?

P.S. -- Here's the diagram I'm working from (a more readable version of what is on Intel's website:

http://www.tips4pc.com/Articles/Computer Troubleshooting/AC'97 Audio Front panel pin diagram.htm

Thanks for any help you guys can provide. I've just been doing too much computer work this week, and my brain is fried.
 
Last edited:
they should line up 1:1 as the front-panel thing shouldn't have any active circuitry in it, so the board shouldn't see any difference

if theres some wiring in the front-panel thing that bridges pins for the jack sense/presence crap that might explain the board auto-muting, look for driver settings that disable auto-mute (most boards that will auto-mute let you disable it) and you should be good to go

if not, 3.5mm TRS extension cables are cheap
 
I know they aren't 1:1, because otherwise, cases would not have a dual-head connector for AC97/Azalia HD audio, as pictured here:

imageview.php


Also, if the connectors were 1:1, then my original link that I posted wouldn't even bother to have pinouts for both AC97 and HD Audio. There are differences, especially for jack sensing. Both connectors are ten-pins (2x5), however, their pinouts differ.

So, once again, if anyone can help me with this, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'm going to need to see if I can find a case that has the dual-connector so I can look at it up close and find the differences.
 
I had to give up using my FP connectors. They must have been unshielded and there was lots of line noise and whatnot. I switched to the ports on my X-Fi and it was crystal clear.
 
I know they aren't 1:1, because otherwise, cases would not have a dual-head connector for AC97/Azalia HD audio, as pictured here:



Also, if the connectors were 1:1, then my original link that I posted wouldn't even bother to have pinouts for both AC97 and HD Audio. There are differences, especially for jack sensing. Both connectors are ten-pins (2x5), however, their pinouts differ.

So, once again, if anyone can help me with this, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'm going to need to see if I can find a case that has the dual-connector so I can look at it up close and find the differences.

read what the pinouts actually route to, and consider that all of the jack sense stuff is controller-side, the audio is still on the same pins with correct phase - if jack sense doesn't line up for you just cut it out and go with that
or find a front panel bay that does what you want, if you want it super neat - no need for a new case
 
Back
Top