Foxconn A7DA-S No Post

CaptNumbNutz

Fully [H]
A couple years ago I bought a Foxconn A7DA-S socket AM2+ motherboard. It worked beautifully for about 6 months.

The motherboard has built in power and reset buttons. One day the system hard locked during a game (not overclocked). I couldn't ctrl-alt-del out, nothing. Only solution was rebooting. I decided to shut down the system, so I held down the built in power button down for 4 seconds (or so I thought). I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't shut down, then I realized I was actually holding down the reset button. I then stopped pressing the reset button, and pressed the power button for 4 seconds and it shut down just like it should.

I then tried to restart the machine. The board, power lights, and cpu fan kicked on, but no post. No warning beeps, no video, nothing. I went through the usual gamut of troubleshooting, reset bios, remove battery, removed video card and tried onboard graphics, minimal hardware (1 stick of ram tried in multiple slots, no HDD) etc. I even tried out a Post Code diagnostic card that went into the PCI slot, and all it gave was random codes. According to the Post Code diagnostic card manual, this usually meant the board was dead due to some hardware failure.

Figuring the board was not worth the time to continue effing with it, I went and bought a new board. This foxconn motherboard has been sitting in a box for about 1.5 years now. I am hoping to resurrect it to upgrade one of my systems, or end up selling it cheap to a friend.

Here's what I want to know:
-What the hell killed it and why? Was it holding down the reset switch for 4 secs instead of the power switch?
-Is it repairable? Is it a dead bios which can easily be replaced by ordering a spare bios chip from Foxconn?

theres a lot of things that could of killed the board... no holding the reset button would not cause the board to die.. being that it is a foxconn board its hard to say what exactly killed it nor would i say its worth the time to try and fix it.. its basically just an oem board with some overclocking features and a hiked up price..

but just some idea's is that you could of fried the mosfets by running to much voltage to a processor that was overclocking that the board wasnt designed for.. could of fried the chipset from it overheating.. some of the capacitors could of popped..could of shorted out something..or the board just straight up died due to poor construction..

Well, atleast someone replied.

I too have never heard of holding the reset button killing the board. But it seemed like one of the few remotely possible causes when everything else was ok. Its so damn odd since AFAIK nothing overheated, no caps are blown, no burnt traces, and no other physical damage showing. The board had died while running everything was still stock. The only thing I can think of is maybe certain settings were way out of spec due to a bad bios...

oh well.

Well, atleast someone replied.

I too have never heard of holding the reset button killing the board. But it seemed like one of the few remotely possible causes when everything else was ok. Its so damn odd since AFAIK nothing overheated, no caps are blown, no burnt traces, and no other physical damage showing. The board had died while running everything was still stock. The only thing I can think of is maybe certain settings were way out of spec due to a bad bios...

oh well.

its also possible the bios became corrupt but usually it will still boot to the point where you see the bios flash and then die.. but id just bite the bullet and look for a new board.. you can find so many better am2+ boards for sub 50 dollars now that its not even worth resurrecting old boards..

Back