Four Million Windows 8 Upgrades Since Friday

There's nothing wrong with change as long as it brings improvement. Change for the sake of change is pointless.

if you havent spent a decent amount of time trying it, you are merely refusing to change as you have no data on whether its better or not, besides not wanting to learn something new

For $15 it was to good to pass up. I don't particularly like it but with start 8 it was easy enough to configure it to be like Windows 7. Maybe it'll grow on me.

I knew i should have jumped on that 15$ upgrade promo because now I want it. lol!

I just got a $15.00 upgrade. Think I can get another one if I dig out the purchase date of a computer I bought a few months ago.

Anyone tried to use a $15.00 promo code multiple times?

I just got a $15.00 upgrade. Think I can get another one if I dig out the purchase date of a computer I bought a few months ago.

Anyone tried to use a $15.00 promo code multiple times?
No need to dig up a receipt for anything. I made up info and got the upgrade, then did a clean install.

This was the info I put in to get the upgrade for $15. Look at the model #, lol, nothing fake about that one :D. Not sure if anything has change yet though so YMMV.
Purchase Information
Date of purchase: Saturday, July 07, 2012
Name of retailer: Walmart
PC Brand: HP
PC Model: tbfythfgt
According to some in this thread, they are getting multiple copies just fine, it seems anyways.

if you havent spent a decent amount of time trying it, you are merely refusing to change as you have no data on whether its better or not, besides not wanting to learn something new

You didn't have to drive this stinking POS when it was new to...well...know that it was a stinking POS.

FordPinto1971.jpg

Some people just like to buy new and in the case of W8, cheap crap.

No need to dig up a receipt for anything. I made up info and got the upgrade, then did a clean install.

This was the info I put in to get the upgrade for $15. Look at the model #, lol, nothing fake about that one :D. Not sure if anything has change yet though so YMMV.
According to some in this thread, they are getting multiple copies just fine, it seems anyways.

Everyone wins. People think they are being clever and getting a 'steal' of a deal with this, and Microsoft thinks its clever because people are buying Windows 8 in droves now. Ofcourse Microsoft knew people would put in false info or whatever to seemingly exploit the system, but they still had to 'purchase' it. Their little scheme turned out to be quite a success

Everyone wins. People think they are being clever and getting a 'steal' of a deal with this, and Microsoft thinks its clever because people are buying Windows 8 in droves now. Ofcourse Microsoft knew people would put in false info or whatever to seemingly exploit the system, but they still had to 'purchase' it. Their little scheme turned out to be quite a success
If it wasn't this cheap then I wouldn't have bothered. I got Vista (some stupid games site they had that got exploited) and Windows 7 (launch party promotion) both free from MS so I wasn't willing to pay much for Windows 8 if i could help it :D.

These are all either free by rebate or $15.
So yeah. If you just bought a new device,why not?

I think the W7 three packs were $150 and I recall thinking that was a steal.

I picked up a 3 pack of W7 for $100 when they dropped the price because the newer SP1 version was comming out.

to me, this is a "duh" statistic. Win8 is far, far cheaper than Win7 upon it's release. I bet there are a lot of people out there who are buying it specifically because it is cheaper for now, and we plan on upgrading far later. I don't plan on actually installing it until January or February, but to save $100 on it, yeah, I'll buy it now and save it.

Oh Snap! I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for mentioning it!:D

If it wasn't this cheap then I wouldn't have bothered. I got Vista (some stupid games site they had that got exploited) and Windows 7 (launch party promotion) both free from MS so I wasn't willing to pay much for Windows 8 if i could help it :D.

You're missing the point. It's about installbase, a lot of people will buy and upgrade to it and just keep it because it was cheap. MS can fix the smaller issues over time if they already grabbed a huge marketshare from people jumping on the cheap and the following users who jump on because a lot of people are on it.

You're missing the point. It's about installbase, a lot of people will buy and upgrade to it and just keep it because it was cheap. MS can fix the smaller issues over time if they already grabbed a huge marketshare from people jumping on the cheap and the following users who jump on because a lot of people are on it.
I wasn't missing anything. I was basically saying that MS has been offering their OS for years either cheap or free so to claim the user-base and I have no problems taking advantage of it with them :D.

I know it's been said to death, but I don't really understand all the hate either. I've had it on my laptop for a while through msdnaa and I just decided to throw it on my desktop last night. Upgrade was completely painless and it's more or less the same thing as 7 when you're on the desktop (which is probably 90+% of the time)

I know it's been said to death, but I don't really understand all the hate either. I've had it on my laptop for a while through msdnaa and I just decided to throw it on my desktop last night. Upgrade was completely painless and it's more or less the same thing as 7 when you're on the desktop (which is probably 90+% of the time)

People here need something to cry about.

You didn't have to drive this stinking POS when it was new to...well...know that it was a stinking POS.

FordPinto1971.jpg

Some people just like to buy new and in the case of W8, cheap crap.

Right, because everybody knew the moment the pinto was released that it was a POS. Nobody tried it out first, it was just common knowledge back then. :rolleyes:

Right, because everybody knew the moment the pinto was released that it was a POS. Nobody tried it out first, it was just common knowledge back then. :rolleyes:

Nobody complained about Windows 7, it was Vista that was considered shit before. Windows 7 was welcomed with open arms. People aren't resistant to change, they're only resistant to change that sucks.

I think MS had a stroke of genius with this pricing plan.

I have purchased 6 copies thus far, for friends/family members who were screwed over by a fly-by-night now defunct "PC Shop" that sold them refurb'ed pc's with cracked versions of Windows 7 (I was out of the country, one of them got suckered in, and spread the word, by the time I heard about it, it was too late and the owner was in the wind).

For $40, the chance to get out of a bad situation (ie, a non-legal os) should tempt a lot of folks. I know I was leaping at the chance to avoid having to be the support for that situation. Honestly, the people who always pirate the OS are going to continue to pirate the OS. You could charge $5 and they would still do it. But by pricing it at $40 instead of $199, the folks who balked at a $200 price tag will consider the $40 a blessing/gift.

All in all it didn't go too badly, in fact the least literate of them made the easiest transition. Win 8 boots to metro with her, and she can click email or internet. She loves it. Which says something for the target audience :D

Pretty happy with it myself, need to buy another copy for me.

Honestly, the people who always pirate the OS are going to continue to pirate the OS. You could charge $5 and they would still do it. But by pricing it at $40 instead of $199, the folks who balked at a $200 price tag will consider the $40 a blessing/gift.

I disagree. For $40 or less, it's not worth the time, effort, risk and problems with pirating the software. I know many people that go legit with these price drops (Windows 7 was the first 'legit' OS some of these people used). Yes, there are still many that won't pay a dime for it, but they suck anyway! :)

I truly haven't looked at the pirating scene for quite a while. Has Windows 8 been cracked or the activation been cracked reliably? No links to the crack, or details. Just wondering if it's been done yet... Usually it happens before the GA. I just haven't been too interested in this stuff for a long time.

...ummmm, pretty much. If you're over the age of say...45, you know.

Once you edit the registry (regedit), you can disable that Metro trash and turn your desktop computer into something useful. But then you'll just have W7 again.

Nobody complained about Windows 7, it was Vista that was considered shit before. Windows 7 was welcomed with open arms. People aren't resistant to change, they're only resistant to change that sucks.

7 was widely regarded as a technically competent release but not necessarily welcomed with open arms. Just go back and look at how many people called it a Vista Service Pack and what Vista should have been. Now on the other side we have some wanting 8 to be 7 Service Pack 2. There's always going to be a group that won't be satisfied.

7 was widely regarded as a technically competent release but not necessarily welcomed with open arms. Just go back and look at how many people called it a Vista Service Pack and what Vista should have been. Now on the other side we have some wanting 8 to be 7 Service Pack 2. There's always going to be a group that won't be satisfied.

To be honest, it's really just Metro that makes Windows 8 annoying. And when that article came out with MS saying it won't add the start menu back I thought was pretty insulting, now just look at how popular these 3rd party apps are. But, there are some things I really like about Windows 8, it's got a minimalist feel as well as if you tweak it enough it has minimal resource usage. That part is really nice and reminds me of my ultra tweaked XP system where it booted with only 16 processes running and was absolutely idle with 0 CPU usage until I told it to do something. Windows 8 seems to be doing similar (compared to Vista/7) and i assume that's because it's trying to be designed for tablets and such, which i'll go along with if it means a low resource profile but powerful and capable desktop system.

To be honest, it's really just Metro that makes Windows 8 annoying. And when that article came out with MS saying it won't add the start menu back I thought was pretty insulting, now just look at how popular these 3rd party apps are. But, there are some things I really like about Windows 8, it's got a minimalist feel as well as if you tweak it enough it has minimal resource usage. That part is really nice and reminds me of my ultra tweaked XP system where it booted with only 16 processes running and was absolutely idle with 0 CPU usage until I told it to do something. Windows 8 seems to be doing similar (compared to Vista/7) and i assume that's because it's trying to be designed for tablets and such, which i'll go along with if it means a low resource profile but powerful and capable desktop system.

So most of the belly aching is over essentially what kind of app launcher comes in the box, the point of the new app launcher to be more suitable for touch devices while working pretty much just as well as the old app launcher with keyboards and mice. I'm not saying that Metro or the Start Screen are perfect for desktops and keyboards and mice and there are definite improvements to be made, but for the grunt work of launching apps, I'm just not sure who much difference there is between the two once a person becomes familiar with the new UI.

Actually, from what i've read and and saw on TV, the pinto if it had been produced as it was originally designed would have been a very good car. It's just that the higher up's in the company nickled and dimed and took out so many of the things that would have made it better, that it ended up being a POS.
As for W8, i did the $15 upgrade and once i saw i could put the start menu back up and get my icons, i've gotten used to it. Aside from having to get my sound working again, (Was a driver issue which was fixed) it's pretty much like W7 to me. :p

(Did like my gadgets tho, but i'll learn to live without for now...lol)

I'm kinda with you on that. I like lots of the efficiency changes MS made to Windows. The computer I'm running 8 on is a little more responsive and boots a lot faster compared to Vista that it was on before. It doesn't even really _need_ to be messed around with to make it feel reasonably quick. I don't care for the Metro stuff because of how cumbersome it is on a not touchscreen and I think it's sort of silly that there wasn't an option to just use a more conventional desktop. I refuse to use something like Start8 though because I don't want some kind of crutch.

At the office the helpdesk people are testing it on a couple tablets where it works in a passable way, but the response is pretty much meh because of the live tiles being sort of glitzy and unprofessional looking. We still hafta figure out a lot some group policy stuff too. Really "meh" describes it pretty well in a business enterprise.

I'm kinda with you on that. I like lots of the efficiency changes MS made to Windows. The computer I'm running 8 on is a little more responsive and boots a lot faster compared to Vista that it was on before. It doesn't even really _need_ to be messed around with to make it feel reasonably quick. I don't care for the Metro stuff because of how cumbersome it is on a not touchscreen and I think it's sort of silly that there wasn't an option to just use a more conventional desktop. I refuse to use something like Start8 though because I don't want some kind of crutch.

At the office the helpdesk people are testing it on a couple tablets where it works in a passable way, but the response is pretty much meh because of the live tiles being sort of glitzy and unprofessional looking. We still hafta figure out a lot some group policy stuff too. Really "meh" describes it pretty well in a business enterprise.

nearly everything runs faster than vista... well except WIN ME.:rolleyes:

So most of the belly aching is over essentially what kind of app launcher comes in the box, the point of the new app launcher to be more suitable for touch devices while working pretty much just as well as the old app launcher with keyboards and mice. I'm not saying that Metro or the Start Screen are perfect for desktops and keyboards and mice and there are definite improvements to be made, but for the grunt work of launching apps, I'm just not sure who much difference there is between the two once a person becomes familiar with the new UI.

1.It is full screen. I do not want a full screen launcher because I have a high resolution display and I often launch applications without looking at the launcher menu. A full screen monstrosity is intrusive and distracting.

2.The search is a regression. I should not have to tell it I am searching for a setting or searching for an application; Windows 7 had a unified search whereas Windows 8 forces the user to distinguish them. This requires memorizing more key combinations.

3.There are no folders. There is no nesting. Given the amount of programs I have, splaying them all out on one big mess of icons is not intuitive.

4.The live tiles are a needless distraction. I do not want them and I do not want a computer or an operating system that assumes I want them. I shouldn't not have to remove unwanted stuff; rather, the computer should only do exactly what I ask it to.

4.The live tiles are a needless distraction. I do not want them and I do not want a computer or an operating system that assumes I want them. I shouldn't not have to remove unwanted stuff; rather, the computer should only do exactly what I ask it to.

Can we send you to some of the OEMs out there so you can convince them to stop installing value added applications like a Toshiba-specific update utility, wireless control thingey, and random hard drive monitoring program that might or might not tell me when SMART reports something bad is about to happen to my 50 GB of photos of my cat?

But how can it do what you asked it to do if you don't ask it what to do?

Windows Vista $299, Windows 7 Professional $100+, Windows 8 Pro $40...

Eh, why the hell not. I bought copies for my Fujitsu Tablet and my main rig.

Breath of life for my tablet :D, the new keyboard and multi-touch works great. The tiled interface is much smoother and more refined that I experienced on the original beta. Much more rewarding to use than Windows XP or 7 was in a touch environment.

PITA for my workstation :mad:, I think I downloaded Start8 less than 5 minutes after first boot. Much happier now. Boots like a bat out of hell, neat taskmanager, informative copy dialogue, and the integrated AV that does not totally suck. Oh, and the new defrag positively identified my SSDs and will TRIM them on command while it defrags the mechanical disks. Very pleased so far.

It would be wise of them to give users the option of Metro vs Start, very very wise....

I am a little bit peeved that they deprecated Windows backup though, just when it started to become useful.

I do not want a full screen launcher because I have a high resolution display and I often launch applications without looking at the launcher menu

So you don't look at what you're launching? That's certainly not going to be the case for 99.9999% of any computer user. I can't really saying anything about it be distracting, that's going to vary person to person.

2.The search is a regression. I should not have to tell it I am searching for a setting or searching for an application; Windows 7 had a unified search whereas Windows 8 forces the user to distinguish them. This requires memorizing more key combinations.

The search in Windows 7 is only local. The search in Windows 8 is extended by apps so there's a lot more to search on. At any rate depending on how many results you get back in Windows 7 you may have to go to a different screen. And a search term can easily be applied to any Metro app. There's just so many differences in how search works from Metro compared to the desktop that complaining about this issue, while valid also misses the point of just how much more extensible the new Search is in reality.

3.There are no folders. There is no nesting. Given the amount of programs I have, splaying them all out on one big mess of icons is not intuitive.

Actually this is quite intuitive, is really analogous to a dash or poster board and it does handle a lot of items well, but it does require manual organization. But in a way that's kind of the point, it was mean not to be a static list of hierarchical icons but a representation of what is important to a person at any particular time.

Yeah, who would want notifications things important to them on their computer?:confused:

Can we send you to some of the OEMs out there so you can convince them to stop installing value added applications like a Toshiba-specific update utility, wireless control thingey, and random hard drive monitoring program that might or might not tell me when SMART reports something bad is about to happen to my 50 GB of photos of my cat?

Oh god, yeah this stuff pisses me off. There's a term for that software - crapware. It supposedly makes the laptop/desktop cheaper but that's probably nonsense, it's more like a way for the OEM to just make more money. First thing I do on a prebuilt I see is uninstall half of the crapware it has. Completely useless garbage.

I really wish people could see my XP system I have goin. It's lightning fast and has virtually nothing running that isn't needed. Only uses about 175 MB of ram on a fresh boot. 15 processes total. It's basically just a couple services and Explorer waiting for me to do something. No HD usage and an idle CPU right after you hit the desktop. Even the RAM usage is static, according to the task manager there's only a few kilobytes of ram activity every once in a while. There's virtually nothing happening. As soon as I execute something it blasts onto the screen just how I want it. I sometimes have arrogant thoughts that if everyone had this install on their system and didn't get malware on it, no one would ever upgrade. This is how I like systems. I'm thinking I might move to Windows 8 and do the same thing in the future, still weighing my options.

Oh god, yeah this stuff pisses me off. There's a term for that software - crapware. It supposedly makes the laptop/desktop cheaper but that's probably nonsense, it's more like a way for the OEM to just make more money. First thing I do on a prebuilt I see is uninstall half of the crapware it has. Completely useless garbage.

I really wish people could see my XP system I have goin. It's lightning fast and has virtually nothing running that isn't needed. Only uses about 175 MB of ram on a fresh boot. 15 processes total. It's basically just a couple services and Explorer waiting for me to do something. No HD usage and an idle CPU right after you hit the desktop. Even the RAM usage is static, according to the task manager there's only a few kilobytes of ram activity every once in a while. There's virtually nothing happening. As soon as I execute something it blasts onto the screen just how I want it. I sometimes have arrogant thoughts that if everyone had this install on their system and didn't get malware on it, no one would ever upgrade. This is how I like systems. I'm thinking I might move to Windows 8 and do the same thing in the future, still weighing my options.

And to add to this, I'm actually currently running 64 bit Windows 8 through Vmware on my 32 bit XP system. :p

Back