Four HyperX ram on ABIT IC7 does not work

flylite

n00b
PROBLEM: I tried four 512mb sticks of Kingston HyperX PC3500 ram on my ABIT IC7 motherboard, and the system freezes just before the XP boot screen. The FSB was set to 200mhz and the Ram voltage set to 2.5V and 2.8V.

Can anyone help with this problem?

BACKGROUND INFO: The system runs fine when I take out either pair of the ram sticks. In fact, the system is capable of 230mhz FSB and 1:1 ratio with ram voltage at 2.8V. That is true for either pair of ram HyperX sticks in either slot 1+3 or slot 2+4. I can't seem to run the system with four sticks for 2GB of ram--even at non-overclock default settings.

Im having the exact same problem. Same ram, and some Mobo. I can get it to boot fine with 3 sticks, but when i add the 4th, i get a ram checksum error.

sounds like the memory controller on your mobo isn't up to driving 4 sticks of ram at those speeds. try dropping down to ddr333 and see what happens

I got it to work with four sticks by switching the pair of ram modules. I swapped around the new and old pair between the 1+3 and 2+4 dimm slots. It may also help to trade places within each pair. This problem is probably related to the SPT settings being read from the prom of the ram modules in specific dimm slots.

So now everything is running just like before--i.e., over-volted and over-clocked--with 2GB of ram.

flylite said:
I got it to work with four sticks by switching the pair of ram modules. I swapped around the new and old pair between the 1+3 and 2+4 dimm slots. It may also help to trade places within each pair. This problem is probably related to the SPT settings being read from the prom of the ram modules in specific dimm slots.

So now everything is running just like before--i.e., over-volted and over-clocked--with 2GB of ram.
you mean SPD ;)

and no, that's probably not the reason. more likely that one kit is stronger than the other, and one set of dimm slots is weaker, presumably 2+4..so put the strong kit in the weak slots, weak kit in the strong slots and bingo :D

Back