Founders Edition Early Adopters Paper Tax for 20 Minutes @ [H]

After trying for about 4 hours yesterday to get evga's website to load, I was able to get my spot in line for the step-up queue for the acx 3.0. $32 including shipping. They are supposed to start shipping mid June.

Still time for an article critical of Intel today for the fanboy trolling trifecta. :) Not that there is much real debate around CPUs these days.

Just find any nVidia GPU thread or Intel CPU thread, chances are very good there will be a mention or twenty of AMD Zen. It's estimated performance passes a current Intel processor line almost daily, by the time it releases it should be the most powerful processor known to man.

How are you reaching that conclusion?
Here in the UK the custom AIB 1080 can be had at the cheaper end from £525 to £550 - will not be in stock for a couple of weeks as that is when they start to go on sale.
The 1080FE at the cheaper end is £620 to £635.
Some of the FE models are even more than that due to the quirks of the AIB partner and their extra support-guarantee/etc, is it worth that excess hmmm
So the MSRP is working over here, and these prices also are slightly increased with the retailer making a bit more due to the stock-popularity of these cards; they sold out of their 1080FE in 7 minutes, and that was 500 cards.
The Next Generation: GeForce GTX 1080 | OVERCLOCKERS UK

Edit:
Also this post shows that they are varying price: EVGA Pricing on GTX 1080 and the EVGA basic models are pretty close to the MSRP - closer than I expected tbh.
$610 - stock clocked, no frills blower (reference board)
$620 - stock clocked (reference board), ACX cooler
$650 - super clocked (reference board), ACX cooler
$680 - FTW (custom board), ACX cooler
$700 - Founders Edition (reference board), fancy blower
$700+ - Classified (custom board), ACX cooler

Cheers

Now, look at the colored buttons below each. "Auto notify." "Pre-order." The one available now? $699.99

I said at launch. Day one. It's $699. We'll get those models closer to MSRP, just not on launch.

You do realize that 525 british pounds is ~$760 US and 620 pounds is ~$900 US? You just confirmed what he said.
You do realise that includes 20% tax.
Take that off then add on any local tax you have.

You do realise that includes 20% tax.
Take that off then add on any local tax you have.
Ah, that explains the wide disparity. So the real MSRP is $640 US for the base model then. So neither is right.

I am waiting the non FE card to see what performance is like. I have my newegg CC ready to order the product.

Its the reference design.
Same circuit board, same cooler.
They have given it a name.

Are you sure the "36 cards" isn't the number of different SKUs that have been created for North American by the various partners and retailers?

Some folks prefer AIBs to nVidia-built reference designs because of favoritism toward a particular AIB; that's fine - I get that (long-time buyer of ASUS motherboards here). However, all of the AIBs (yes - all of them) have had their issues with their "better" unique-to-individual-AIBs designs, and especially the last turn around. The ONE sin that nVidia is guilty of (this is from the critics) is having a dull reference design. Fine - it's as dull as dishwater. So are the AUDI A3, Subaru Impreza WRX, Honda Accord - three well-engineered vehicles that are ALSO as dull as dishwater. I'm looking for reliability - not bling; reliability beats bling every single time. Until an AIB (any of them) gets the reliability factor right with an AIB-sourced design, I'll go with reference/Founder's Edition, given a choice.

They were in stock at my local microcenters friday morning in chicago. In retrospect I probably should have just taken the day off to pick one up and flip on ebay

They were in stock at my local microcenters friday morning in chicago. In retrospect I probably should have just taken the day off to pick one up and flip on ebay
I called my Microcenter in Chicago on Friday, they only had 10 cards. Odds are you would not have gotten one.

Micron even said GDDR5X only recently entered mass production. It means the 1080 shipping now are using sampling chips they made a few months ago.

You won't get any good volume until the mass produced GDDR5X is sent to Foxcon or whichever is producing NV's cards, along with AIBs for custom variants. They launched a few months too early IMO, but it doesn't matter since they need to get it out and charge a premium for it while there's no competition.

ie. Polaris isn't meant to compete with GP104 given it's positioning and chip design (think small, Pitcairn 7870 ish, while the GP104 is the 680 equivalent). But at least there's nothing from AMD until the end of June so NV can milk away selling whatever few 1080 they have.

I work at Micro Center and had people camping out waiting. It was kind of fun like getting a copo Camaro! Not to many out but they are sweet kind of thing. Plus I cant wait to play cs go at 150000+ fps on this 1080. MURICA

You do realize that 525 british pounds is ~$760 US and 620 pounds is ~$900 US? You just confirmed what he said.
You do understand that it NEVER matches between USD and £....
Also ours is INCLUDING tax.
If you read the post you would realise the FE is more expensive than the custom AIB....

So the MSRP is working over here, and these prices also are slightly increased with the retailer making a bit more due to the stock-popularity of these cards; they sold out of their 1080FE in 7 minutes, and that was 500 cards.

Out of curiosity do you have a source for this?

Now, look at the colored buttons below each. "Auto notify." "Pre-order." The one available now? $699.99

I said at launch. Day one. It's $699. We'll get those models closer to MSRP, just not on launch.
It came across like you inferred that is the price full stop and at "some point" in the future there may be cheaper cards - one case you could make is that some retailers are pushing up a few of the FE models rrp, and other partners up it a bit with their 'service' and 'guarantee' (see Asus).

The custom AIB are going to be available (some not all) in 2 weeks according to one UK stockists, so looks like the custom AIB launch at Computex.
In fact this is slightly quicker than in past, where the custom models were 4-5weeks available at stockists after the reference launch.

So yeah appreciate when you say launch you mean now rather than waiting 2 weeks.

Cheers

Last edited:
Out of curiosity do you have a source for this?
Yes it was from OverclockersUK retailer, on their forum and said by their employee who sources all GPU/monitor/etc products; linked it somewhere here in a thread with specific quote.
Cheers

You do understand that it NEVER matches between USD and £....
Also ours is INCLUDING tax.
If you read the post you would realise the FE is more expensive than the custom AIB....

Yes, I do realize. That's why I actually corrected the numbers myself. The numbers coming from the store links you provided, still showing they're noticeably not msrp.

Yes it was from OverclockersUK retailer, on their forum and said by their employee who sources all GPU/monitor/etc products; linked it somewhere here in a thread with specific quote.
Cheers

I couldn't seem to find it and I don't have ocuk forum account.

Mainly just interested in such data and actually looking to reference it to avoid another "someone on a forum" said thing.

There was actually some interesting data point from ocuk with some previous graphics card launch I referenced before but i couldn't find the actual source link.

Last edited:
Yes, I do realize. That's why I actually corrected the numbers myself. The numbers coming from the store links you provided, still showing they're noticeably not msrp
As I mentioned before they are adding their own 'tax' due to the popularity, and as I mentioned in the past some such as Asus are adding a premium for the 'extra service' such as guarantee.
These are what should be highlighted rather than just saying the other poster is right that there the MSRP for all cards will be the FE price....
You said :
I have also linked earlier the actual price for custom cards in North America that are under FE.
His original post came across as if the custom AIB will be priced the same as FE, obviously they are not.

And as I have mentioned the custom AIB looks to start going on sale around 2 weeks from now (confirmed by a retailer), so models look to be announced at Computex.
Cheers

I couldn't seem to find it and I don't have ocuk forum account.

Mainly just interested in such data and actually looking to reference it to avoid another "someone on a forum" said thing.

There was actually some interesting data point from ocuk with some previous graphics card launch I referenced before but i couldn't find the actual source link.
Yeah can be a pain to find :)

Took awhile as I removed my own reference to it but here it is: Overclockers UK Forums - View Single Post - ** NVIDIA GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION: WANNA PRE-ORDER?
Gibbo is the one responsible for sourcing products such as GPUs/Monitors/etc.

And they had 500 for sale, please do not ask me to spend time to also confirm him stating that as well :)
However I actually quoted him on this forum somewhere with what he explicitly said.
Cheers

Yeah can be a pain to find :)

Took awhile as I removed my own reference to it but here it is: Overclockers UK Forums - View Single Post - ** NVIDIA GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION: WANNA PRE-ORDER?
Gibbo is the one responsible for sourcing products such as GPUs/Monitors/etc.

And they had 500 for sale, please do not ask me to spend time to also confirm him stating that as well :)
However I actually quoted him on this forum somewhere with what he explicitly said.
Cheers

Thanks but was really looking for the inventory numbers. Was thinking about bringing this up in another discussion elsewhere (related to GTX 1080 stock numbers) but I just wanted a more direct source as evidence (might not have been clear what I meant earlier).

Thanks but was really looking for the inventory numbers. Was thinking about bringing this up in another discussion elsewhere (related to GTX 1080 stock numbers) but I just wanted a more direct source as evidence (might not have been clear what I meant earlier).
Inventory numbers where he mentions they had 500 or you after an actual breakdown (doubt ever released) ?
He also mentioned about purchasing an extra 20,000.
Which he expects around 100-200 a day early on and not bulk delivery just yet.

Cheers

Inventory numbers where he mentions they had 500 or you after an actual breakdown (doubt ever released) ?
He also mentioned about purchasing an extra 20,000.
Which he expects around 100-200 a day early on and not bulk delivery just yet.

Cheers

Yeah inventory numbers that there were 500 in stock. Releases always have questions regarding what the actual supply is like.

Yeah inventory numbers that there were 500 in stock. Releases always have questions regarding what the actual supply is like.
Here was an initial post, that was also eventually re-confirmed later on - was the later confirmation one I used before but cannot spend the time looking for it.
Overclockers UK Forums - View Single Post - ** NVIDIA GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION: WANNA PRE-ORDER?

Also this is not the post I was using before as it is earlier, but also ties in with the later ones.
Overclockers UK Forums - View Single Post - ** NVIDIA GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION: WANNA PRE-ORDER?
I should had said that 20,000 unit order also included 1070s and not just 1080s.
Just appreciate the posts I am going on about where further clarifications of these, was a later one that mentioned getting on average 100-200 a day next week since selling out and then more bulk delivery after that.
Cheers

I saw this coming.

Nvidia launched a card with its new memory just going into volume production. They rushed their release, just so they could have better time to market, even if that means only 100 cards at first. I have no idea why people are running out trying to preorder the reference cards. If I buy a 1080 then I will wait for the custom PCB's/ Cooling. Not to mention the 100$ price premium.

I'm holding out until Vega/ Gp102

If you're brain damaged or lack any fiscal control you can get up on Amazon and pay $1k + for one. Woooo?

Kyle, not enough flaming going on.

I think next you should do an expose of Matrox for nostalgia, shits and giggles.

Out of curiosity, did anyone who ordered from Nvidia actually receive their card or even a shipping notice? I know some people got backorder e-mails. Their phone people just talk in circles, though.
If I don't get a ship notice today, I'm cancelling my order.

Out of curiosity, did anyone who ordered from Nvidia actually receive their card or even a shipping notice? I know some people got backorder e-mails. Their phone people just talk in circles, though.
Mine is currently on the FedEx truck slated for delivery today.

Mine did arrive earlier this morning. I installed them, ran FireStrike Ultra, then went to work. I only have the ribbon SLI though... Waiting on the new SLI bridge. Overall, it seems to run, at stock speeds, about 10% faster than stock Titan X SLI. When the new SLI bridge arrives, hopefully that will bump it up. The noise level was actually decent when under load.

I still have yet to get a tracking number. The rep on the phone told me that I'm definitely not on the backorder list, but I'm starting to get a little annoyed that they can't give me any answers.

I did Step up with EVGA to the founders card. However $699 is excsessive the SC card is only 649 = faster / better with ACX 3.0

Paper launch sure, but what do you expect 20nm was skipped and people have been stuck on 28nm GPU's for eternity. I think being the first out of the gates this is to be expected. I mean could they have waited sure, but do you really think AMD is going to wait I hardly doubt it they'll likely have a paper launch themselves especially being late to the party. Sell what you can as quickly as you can is the name of the game. Hell just look at Intel with Skylake they had a bit of a paper launch themselves initially and it's stated suggested retail prices took about a year to finally be reached due to the low inventory and it's Intel we are talking about. Supply and demand and quite frankly GPU demand out stripes CPU demand generally speaking we've seen these GPU paper launches time and time again from both NVIDIA and AMD particularly with new hardware refreshes people are clamoring over. Would you rather they have waited rather then letting them trickle through on a first come first serve basis? Really what is to gain by that in the end except even more waiting a GPU die shrink from 28nm long long long over due.

As I suspected, $699 is the real MSRP, not $599. So, the 1070 is a $449 card. I'm sure we'll EVENTUALLY see cards approaching the advertised MSRP, just not within the launch window.
Are we really going to fault NVIDIA for this if demand is heavily out striping supply it's not like Intel didn't do the same thing with Skylake for over a god damn year they only recently hit their suggested pricing on the unlock K processors. Eventually enough people are going to want aftermarket designs and the founder cards will stop selling as quickly as they are and once ATI has response card I'm sure it'll force their hand a bit too.

Paper launch sure, but what do you expect 20nm was skipped and people have been stuck on 28nm GPU's for eternity. I think being the first out of the gates this is to be expected. I mean could they have waited sure, but do you really think AMD is going to wait I hardly doubt it they'll likely have a paper launch themselves especially being late to the party. Sell what you can as quickly as you can is the name of the game. Hell just look at Intel with Skylake they had a bit of a paper launch themselves initially and it's stated suggested retail prices took about a year to finally be reached due to the low inventory and it's Intel we are talking about. Supply and demand and quite frankly GPU demand out stripes CPU demand generally speaking we've seen these GPU paper launches time and time again from both NVIDIA and AMD particularly with new hardware refreshes people are clamoring over. Would you rather they have waited rather then letting them trickle through on a first come first serve basis? Really what is to gain by that in the end except even more waiting a GPU die shrink from 28nm long long long over due.

I'm so sick of this 28nm, 20nm, 16nm crap - do people really buy their video cards based on the fabrication node?

The best is now that 16nm is here, people have moved the goal post again and complain that the 1080 is "cut down". Duh! This is how NVIDIA does it every year - since the 6xx generation.

Fabrication, cut down, whatever - doesn't matter. Buy on performance and price.

Back