Found this old Voodoo

ComputerBox34

[H]F Junkie
Hi All,

I just retired a machine in my residents and when I opened it up to dismantle it, I found a little surprise.

A 3dfx Voodoo3. (I thought this machine had some cheap video card that I through in when I built it.)

I know 3dfx made a Voodoo4 and then some company bought them in the late 90's and ever since then ATI and NVidia have been ruleing the video card market. Think I should pop this card in another machine? Can it stand up to mondern day gaming? (did not check to see which mobo slot it was in, but I have a strong feeling that it's AGP, but I also have a feeling it's PCI.

Thanks,
~ComputerBox

I used to own a Voodoo 3 3K. It was pretty good running CS, half life but it had bad drivers, frequently overheated (I even added a fan) In the end, I changed to a G400. It ran flawlessly but wasn't as fast as the Voodoo. Since 3dfx is no more, their drivers wouldn't be updated. It wouldn't stand a chance in modern day gaming; 16 mb is simply not enough these days.

V3_3000.jpg

Originally posted by ycchan
I used to own a Voodoo 3 3K. It was pretty good running CS, half life but it had bad drivers, frequently overheated (I even added a fan) In the end, I changed to a G400. It ran flawlessly but wasn't as fast as the Voodoo. Since 3dfx is no more, their drivers wouldn't be updated. It wouldn't stand a chance in modern day gaming; 32 mb is simply not enough these days.

Searched my Download drive in my server and I found updated drivers for it. Must of downloaded them b4 3dfx went out of business. Don't know why yours would always overheat. Mine never did. I agree with you for the 16 MB, thats definantly not enough. It would stand a chance if it had 64 MB but not 16. Still a good card though, bet I could pop it in another machine with a shit video card.

There are updated drivers available at voodoofiles.com which would allow you to put the voodoo into a winXP box. As far as standing up to modern day games? I'd put the voodoo3 AGP on par with a GeForce2 MX. It would certainly play Counter-Strike, Unreal Tournament, or Quake 2 & 3 with the support of a decent system.

Let's put it this way - don't swap it out for anything you've bought in the last 3 years...

If you look through the fs/trade forum, I'm pretty sure I saw someone looking to buy one of those while I was pissing around last night(if you dont plan on using it).:cool:

I don't think I want to sell it, I'm just going to put in one of my backup PC's. Or maybe I can donate it to charity for a kid who is a gamer but doesn't have to many modern games.

PS Is it me or did someone edit this whole thread? (name, etc)

Wasn't me.

There was never a Voodoo 4. It went 3 to 5. Go figure. Ask the chaps over at Nullsoft.

Regardless, maybe this can help.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I used to run a Voodoo3300 on CS back in the day, and YES the drivers did suck.

To answer your question you can use that card.. its probably PCI no doubt, but you will need to use WickedGL drivers to get any fps at all.

I know a guy who ran WickedGL and his voodoo3300 like 2 months ago on CS and was a consistant 60fps.

gl

There was never a Voodoo 4. It went 3 to 5. Go figure. Ask the chaps over at Nullsoft.

Well, there definately was a voodoo4 because I had one :). Around the same as a GF2mx400, had 32mb and could do decent aa (2x only). I then switched to a V5 which is around the same a
GF2 GTS. There are drivers out there that will allow the voodoo 3,4,5 to work fine in XP. It'd be slow, but probably better than an intel extreme graphics setup.

Originally posted by ycchan
Whats a 3300?

Jesus Christ it must be n00b monday, for starters there WAS a Voodoo4 4500 AGP/PCI and secondly there was never a 3300 there was a 3000 and a 3500 which was a 3000 with TV-Out i believe.

Originally posted by liquidtrance123
Jesus Christ it must be n00b monday, for starters there WAS a Voodoo4 4500 AGP/PCI and secondly there was never a 3300 there was a 3000 and a 3500 which was a 3000 with TV-Out i believe.

Don't forget the Voodoo 3 2000.:D

I have a voodoo 3 1000 that came in my parents old compaq computer. It is a special "compaq only" model. I'm sure it is slower than the 2000 and 3000.

i feel like whipping my 2 voodoo2's out and setting them up in SLI

ahh the memories

back to topic...

that card wouldnt be bad at all in another computer
or you could just give it to me :D

Voodoo3 2000 = PCI
Voodoo3 3000 = AGP
Voodoo3 3500 = AGP w/ Vivo
Voodoo4 = did exist in both agp & pci and both mac & pc

I belive that I have a Voodoo3 3000 w/ a SVideo Out (for the TV for those who don't know) My school use to use them for powerpoint presentations b4 we bought projectors. When I bought this thing was when it first came out and it was like $500 USD. And no, I'm not giving up my preciaous. :) :rolleyes:

The Voodoo 3 3000 did exist in a PCI version also, because I used to own one. If I remember correctly the only difference between the 2000 vs the 3000, vs the 3500 was (in addition to the 3500 having other video features) was default clockspeed. The 2000 shipped at 143 MHz, the 3000 at 166 MHz, and the 3500 at 183 MHz.

One of the major drawbacks to the voodoo that some people seem to forget was their complete lack of support for 32bit color rendering.

Originally posted by NOTD665
Wasn't me.

There was never a 4. It went 3 to 5. Go figure. Ask the chaps over at Nullsoft.

Regardless, maybe this can help.

Um...yes there was a 4. I owned one. It was half the power of a V5 5500.

Originally posted by Master [H]
Um...yes there was a 4. I owned one. It was half the power of a V5 5500.
Or more specifically it was the single VSA-100 3dfx product, whereas the V5 was 2 VSA-100s working in SMP...

Back