Found this for guys building Untangle Boxes

If you're going to get a barebones to run untangle on why not just get the Atom D510 one? That one comes with CPU and uses less power im willing to wajor. You can get it new for the same price as this one, from the Newegg, and get warranty on it.

now all that being said i picked up a unit virtually identical to this one, except for maybe the socket, (it's a celeron 3.2, havent opened it up yet) locally yesterday for $75 with hard drive. Might want to shop craigslist if they have listings for your area.

Last edited:
now all that being said i picked up a unit virtually identical to this one, except for maybe the socket, (it's a celeron 3.2, havent opened it up yet) locally yesterday for $75 with hard drive. Might want to shop craigslist if they have listings for your area.

Ive been looking trust me :(

I just popped the top and looked up the model of this one. It is the LGA775 one :)

I just popped the top and looked up the model of this one. It is the LGA775 one :)

is it for sale ? I have a whole box of p4 chips the model before the lga775. I also have a P4 lga755, 3.2 4mb cache thats collecting dust..

is it for sale ? I have a whole box of p4 chips the model before the lga775. I also have a P4 lga755, 3.2 4mb cache thats collecting dust..

I'm going to play with it first. Just bought it yesterday. If i can't scheme up a use for it then i'll sell it.

for home the atom is okay, but get some more users on that atom box and watch it choke.

and total $329 after shipping, you can get a 1U case Norco for $99, then spend $250 on hardware and your golden.

for home the atom is okay, but get some more users on that atom box and watch it choke.

and total $329 after shipping, you can get a 1U case Norco for $99, then spend $250 on hardware and your golden.

Post some links then :)

Just did some research, the Norco RPC-230 case is 60$, i have a LGA775 processor witch is a p4 pentium D i think, 3.0 with hyper threading. I could use this processor some ram and a hard drive, now to find a board with dual gigabit nic cards on board that has the LGA775 socket.

know of any boards ?

I could build my untangle box for cheap :) Norco case looks sleek and simple too.

You had that problem before huh..
Hmmm...go to newegg dot com
in the search, "supermicro 1u" without the quotes...you'll see the above "SUPERMICRO CSE-503-200B Black 1U Rackmount Server Case w/ 200W Power Supply " case there.

Also search for "SUPERMICRO MBD-PDSBM-LN2+-O LGA 775 Intel 946GZ Micro ATX Intel Xeon 3000/Core2 Duo/Pentium D/Pentium 4/Celeron D Server Motherboard " although it will show up on the chassis page as a combo deal.

Can put a mobo in there which supports more power if needed...and still keep it small and neat.
Example..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.425900
Duo/C2D/Xeon

That's a good combo, i have the processor, and ram and hard drive, would just need that case and motherboard combo, and a heat sink and fan unit.

The Norco case looks nice, and even this company uses them.

http://www.rockbochs.com/products/firewall-solutions/untangle-2u-firewall

untangle_ubb2u-00_2u_appliance.png

Yeah RockBochs makes a lot of pre-built boxes for Untangle and PFSense and other distros.

I'm just of the frame of mind that routers should be smaller. Especially for home.
I ran Untangle on a dual Xeon IBM X-series server for a while, hot swap SCSI drives, rack mount,..just got tired of the noise and the price of a case of beer added in the electric bill each month.

That's a good combo, i have the processor, and ram and hard drive, would just need that case and motherboard combo, and a heat sink and fan unit.

The Norco case looks nice, and even this company uses them.

http://www.rockbochs.com/products/firewall-solutions/untangle-2u-firewall

untangle_ubb2u-00_2u_appliance.png

That is the exact case that im using for my little phenom server. I re-purposed old Desktop parts in it. The case is shallow depth, and can fit a full size ATX PSU to boot. And being 2U over 1U and having the standard ATX PSU and being able to run a normal height heat-sink means it doesn't sound like a hair dryer when you are running it.

And being 2U over 1U and having the standard ATX PSU and being able to run a normal height heat-sink means it doesn't sound like a hair dryer when you are running it.

And I'm standing in front of an HP Proliant DL 1U server..that's running Untangle at a nursing home client of mine. 1U..and purring like a kitten, not roaring like a hairdryer at all. 1U doesn't mean it has to be loud. Many fans are controlled by agents, and with HP servers I just install the HP Lenny Deliverables..which install the motherboard agents for Debian Lenny (which is what Untangle is built on).

Course my 1U SuperMicro is as quiet as a mouse too.

That's awesome. My 1U supermicro.... is a hair dryer, even with the cpu blower at 50%

That's awesome. My 1U supermicro.... is a hair dryer, even with the cpu blower at 50%

had one of these when the P4 was out, dam it was loud :( So i added a voltage regulator to the fan and made it run slower LOL!

yep, next step is a fan controller, the little zaliman ones are very handy

i use a asus 1u barebone i got from newegg, 2gb, 80gb drive, things been running great for a few years.

just orderd my norco case. Will be a day or so. Then will be ordering new motherboard that accepts a LGA775 chip & ram.

sc0tty8 , how noisy is that unit ? What was the specs of the unit again ?

I wouldn't want it in an area where I would be living or sleeping. It's quiet, but it has the 1u whine.

xeon x3440? 2.4ghz quad
4gb ram
250? gb drive

Back