Found Something interesting.

roftranspo

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2006
my laptop (a dell Inspiron 6000) has been running full blast at ~60C. For shits and giggles, i stopped folding (just to test this) and the temp dropped to ~30C....Thats a 30C difference....WFT??

VIVA LA HORDE

Laptops have a cooling system that is usually a compromise of space, weight, noise, and cost. As a result, they're not as effective as their desktop counterparts. To make up for it, manufacturers usually spec thier chips to run at the higher temperatures seen in a laptop. My laptop kicks out crazy heat while folding - it's normal.

Fenris_Ulf said:
Laptops have a cooling system that is usually a compromise of space, weight, noise, and cost. As a result, they're not as effective as their desktop counterparts. To make up for it, manufacturers usually spec thier chips to run at the higher temperatures seen in a laptop. My laptop kicks out crazy heat while folding - it's normal.
but 30C from idle to folding?

A very good cooler like a Scythe Ninja or Thermalright SI-128 has a C/W of about 0.1 - 0.2 and something like the stock Intel 775 heasink is about 0.3 C/W . Now consider how small the fans and surface area of a laptop heatsink are. I think 0.5 C/W would be a good number. If your CPU draws 60 watts, then you will have a 30 C difference.

Back