Found my next power supply! Only $650 and 2kW

Yeah this has been floating around for a while. It is two Topower 1000w units in an external housing with two power cords that are suppsoed to go to two different circuits.

Why? I am hard pressed to think of anything but the most extreme set-up's that would actually justify a 1,000 watt unit no less 2,000.

I'm with you there.

I run a quad FX (dual FX74's) with a pair of 8800 Ultras and a four drive RAID array with an 800W power supply... and I have to work HARD to pull even 1000W from the wall.

woah who needs a 2kw?!

There are some rackmount cases than can hold up to 48 drives. A high end SAS/SCSI drive will pull 15W idle, 22W max, and 35W startup. Throw in the controllers, CPU's, etc..and you can easily pull 1kW continuous. Scary...isn't it :)

Not exactly sure what you're supposed to do with this. It would melt most house wiring if fully loaded.

i don't see how it is possible to pull more than around 1500W from the wall in North America. Assuming a 15A breaker/fuse, it should actually be only able to sustain maybe 13A. so 13A @ 120V = 1560W. lets assume we're using the most efficient of PSUs (85% or so), that would mean 1560W (at the wall) x 0.85 = 1356 (actual output from the PSU). so how does one go about getting 2000W?

What bugs me is the fact that people post reviews of items that they don't physically own or have never tried. It skews the rest of the reviews :mad:

i don't see how it is possible to pull more than around 1500W from the wall in North America. Assuming a 15A breaker/fuse, it should actually be only able to sustain maybe 13A. so 13A @ 120V = 1560W. lets assume we're using the most efficient of PSUs (85% or so), that would mean 1560W (at the wall) x 0.85 = 1356 (actual output from the PSU). so how does one go about getting 2000W?

It uses two dedicated circuits as has been gone over each time this unit comes up.

Like Paul Johnson said, you're suppose to supply power to it from two seperate circuits. Preferably ones that are very lightly loaded. Even if you do pull from the same circuit it won't melt the wiring. That's what the breaker box is for.

That things pretty crazy. I'd be scared if I ever needed a PSU that large for a desktop computer. Also, I like this review:
....!
Reviewed By: bobbypowermanyeah! on 5/10/2008
Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5
Tech Level: high - Ownership: 1 day to 1 week

Pros: Powering my computer along with my air conditioner and my refrigerator, and I used it to jump start my truck once.
Cons: The only problem was the FBI at my door saying something about knocking out power for the east coast...not sure what thats about.

That review rocks, laughed so hard people in my office had to come see what i was laughing at :)

Back