• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

found a weird cable

Joined
Feb 7, 2006
Messages
3,742
I have this USB cable with a cat 5 plug on the other end, my question is what could it be used for?
I have never seen one before it was in a sealed bag not home made.
 
Some UPS units use a cable like that for data transfer. I have also used a cable like that with a converter box in the middle that was a USB - console (serial) cable. Don't see too many of those, though.
 
I had something like this used on a APC UPS for the control and monitoririg software connection to the PC.
 
Yeah sounds like some kind of serial connection but instead of using a serial port it uses USB. Might even be for a Cisco router or something though not sure if Cisco uses that. Definitly APCs as mentioned.
 
I have this USB cable with a cat 5 plug on the other end, my question is what could it be used for?
I have never seen one before it was in a sealed bag not home made.

APC UPS's used this (and still do) to link the computer to the UPS so that in the event of a power outage, the UPS could continue to provide power until it automatically shut down the computer in a controlled manner rather than just letting the power go off and result in a hard reset. (Something definitely nice to have in the old days when journaled File Systems weren't as robust.)

I have a few of those cables still, for some reason...:confused:
 
You may also find that the RJ45 looking end is 10 pins, not the usual 8...there may also be a little tab sticking out of the side of the plug, presumably to stop it being shoved into a NIC or switch/router etc.
 
I've seen some USB over Cat5e/Cat6 extensions. Could be one of those?
 
I've seen some USB over Cat5e/Cat6 extensions. Could be one of those?

Those usually require powered "black boxes" on each side right? I assume they work by sending the USB data over TCP/IP.
 
Back
Top