Found a MAJOR iOS8 bug (Warning)

dr.stevil

[H]F Junkie
So just wanted to give people a heads up that are using iOS8. For my passcode lock, I use a complex password... which consists of some accented characters (you can access them by holding down certain letters on the keyboard).

Well, with the addition of 3rd party keyboards now, I had installed Swiftkey to try out for a few days, but was getting sick of switching back and forth between english and swiftkey, so I turned the english keyboard off. I was initially apprehensive but wasn't terribly concerned since anytime iOS asks for 'secure' info (iTunes store password or passcode), it defaults to the english keyboard. It wont let you use Swiftkey/Swype/etc

As luck would have it, next time I needed to input my password, it now wont let me access accented characters... only 'regular' alpha-numeric characters. I can't backup with iTunes, before doing a DFU restore... so I'm SOL and stuck using a week old backup.

I'm really pissed right now... but it certainly could be worse. So just a heads up, learn from my mistake. Hopefully Apple fixes this with the upcoming patch

Last edited:
That sucks... Thanks for the heads-up. Is there a way to report bugs to Apple? Hope this works out for you. :(

And not that it's any consolation, but I actually was surprised at how well my iOS 8 update went. Probably the smoothest iOS update I've had in my history of using these devices (goes back from having a 3GS that came stock with iOS 3).

I ended up trying to use an old backup from ios7, but it wasn't running right. Because the backup was from a jailbroken OS, some system stuff was still modified (animation speeds and such) so I just did a fresh restore as a new phone. I lost quite a few iMessages from a client as well as some passwords (password manager), which can be reset so it's not a total loss. Missing around 30 photos from a special family event too. Lesson learned, from now on I'm using iCloud backup. With the new security in place, I'm less worried about some random creep getting access to my stuff

I wish I knew who to report this bug to. You need AppleCare to even talk to customer support so hoping they already just know about it

Apple seems to accept bug reports only if you're a registered developer, and only if it relates to development tools or APIs.

I saw a post on Apples' support forum about another person (a few people, actually) that had the same issue. I'm guessing that Apple has to be aware of it by now, if they weren't already.

I do find it a little strange that Apple doesn't mandate that 3rd party keyboards be capable of inputting the same characters as the stock keyboard, of that language, regardless of the bug.

I have been having issues. I put swype on my 5C as the primary and removed the standard english. Sometimes now when I swipe to unlock and respond to a text the text input field won't actually fill any characters. I have to get out of the message and back in for it to respond. I want to try just restoring as new but don't have a decent internet access to redownload everything.

I saw a post on Apples' support forum about another person (a few people, actually) that had the same issue. I'm guessing that Apple has to be aware of it by now, if they weren't already.

I do find it a little strange that Apple doesn't mandate that 3rd party keyboards be capable of inputting the same characters as the stock keyboard, of that language, regardless of the bug.

Send a description and video of your problem to a few blogs.

3rd party keyboards don't seem to work if the phone is locked. I just went back to the stock keyboard until they fix that.

3rd party keyboards don't seem to work if the phone is locked. I just went back to the stock keyboard until they fix that.

I don't think they're supposed to. Seems that could pose a potential security risk (unless you're talking about replying to a text or something

Back