• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Found $272 9800 pro 256 mb.

No offence but it would be really stupid to spend $272 on the last generations product.
 
You can find 128MB versions that cost $80 less and perform the same.

Or you can spend $30 more and get a 6800nu which will perform a lot better than a 9800 Pro.
 
don't buy the 256MB version, the performance differences with the extra ram are not very noticable. if you're going to buy a 9800pro, buy the 128MB, 256bit cards.
 
That's a waste, get the 128mb 6800 non-ultra for $289 from newegg. Its 15-30% faster than the 256mb 9800XT on average.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-202&depa=0

http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?cat=grfx&id=318&pagenumber=2
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2113&p=4

6800 wins most of the benchmarks, often by a wide 10fps+ margin...

Plus you get Shader Model 3.0, FP16 blending for HDR Lighting (ie FarCry 1.3), excellent OpenGL for Doom3, etc...
 
If you got $300 to blow on a vid card get a standard 6800 128 meg card, it will be much faster than the 9800's in DX9 based games (even the 9800 XT)

If you can bite the bullet though the 256 meg 6800 GT and x800pro are the sweet spot on next gen cards price/performace wise. At $400 they are expensive. The GT is argueablly the better card but its mostly up to personal preferance at this time.
 
Thanks for the help! I wonder how both sides are gonna step up for the next generation of cards lol (better than x800 is gonna be interesting to see : )
 
Redrum123 said:
Thanks for the help! I wonder how both sides are gonna step up for the next generation of cards lol (better than x800 is gonna be interesting to see : )

I think you won't likely see much if anything in the the fall refresh of these cards, higher core and memory clocks, ATI may put in SM 3.0 on chip but I doubt it. Nvidia may come out with a 512 meg card for Doom 3.

I think next spring you'll likely see things along the lines of 512 meg cards from ATI and Nvidia, as well as likely 24 or even 32 pipe cards with more advanced shadowing, pixel and vertex shaders from both companies, possibly even one or two cards with a 512 bit bus on PCI Express.
 
Sniper_Merc said:
I think you won't likely see much if anything in the the fall refresh of these cards, higher core and memory clocks, ATI may put in SM 3.0 on chip but I doubt it. Nvidia may come out with a 512 meg card for Doom 3.

I think next spring you'll likely see things along the lines of 512 meg cards from ATI and Nvidia, as well as likely 24 or even 32 pipe cards with more advanced shadowing, pixel and vertex shaders from both companies, possibly even one or two cards with a 512 bit bus on PCI Express.

i agree- and ATi has already said in internal documents and roadmaps that there is no Shader 3.0 until R500 comes out (ie next spring). But hopefully refined .11 micron processes will produce some high scaling cards.....mmm NV4X based goodness at 500MHz :-D
 
Will the 6800 work well with HL2? On par with the 9800 xt?
Also you are advising me to get the regular 6800, not the ultra whatnot, Right?

*EDIT*- Also what does this mean?

"One hard disk drive power dongles off of separate power supply cable bundles (smaller floppy disk drive connector is not sufficient)."
 
Redrum123 said:
Will the 6800 work well with HL2? On par with the 9800 xt?
With Half Life 2 beta, at 1600x1200 with 8xAF, the 6800 128mb (non-ultra) is a bit over 50% faster than the 9800XT according to ixbtlabs.com. (36.9fps on 6800 versus 23.5 on 9800XT).

Also you are advising me to get the regular 6800, not the ultra whatnot, Right?

Yes.

*EDIT*- Also what does this mean?

"One hard disk drive power dongles off of separate power supply cable bundles (smaller floppy disk drive connector is not sufficient)."

It means you need to plug a power cable off your power supply into the card to get it to work, a regular one not a mini floppy one. This holds true for both the 9800 and 6800.
 
Wow tren, thanks for all your help man, If I could ask you ONE off-topic thing,
If I buy a Hard Drive that is OEM, does that mean that it come with no wires that I need to attach it to everything? If this is true where can I buy wire to connect appliances to eachother? Thanks :)
 
Redrum123 said:
Wow tren, thanks for all your help man, If I could ask you ONE off-topic thing,
If I buy a Hard Drive that is OEM, does that mean that it come with no wires that I need to attach it to everything? If this is true where can I buy wire to connect appliances to eachother? Thanks :)

If its OEM it probably won't come with cables, thats right. Cables almost always come with the motherboard. If for some strange reason they don't, you can buy them from the same place that had the hard drive.
 
Redrum123 said:
http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/product.asp?pid=8693&sid=JW7V5JH7KNSN8LVPK53VQTKDF4V3D71A

Sorry I keep bothering you guys. Now that I found a good deal on it, should I go ahead and purchase it, or do you think it is unsmart? I prefer ATI because it doesnt use up as much power. Is this a smart move? If it plays HL2 in its glory, then I will buy it (the cheapest I can get it)

BestBuy has the 9800pro128mb advertised for 179.99AR, 20 instant and 50 MIR.....get whatever matches up best with your system specs...
 
rgr that : )

Thanks for your help, now I just need to wait till august 15th so I can build it : (
 
Back
Top