Forza Motosports 7 Intentionally Runs on One Core

monkeymagick

[H]News
Gearing up to not break a sweat with the console port on your multi-core CPU for the newly released Forza Motosport 7 demo? Don't get your hopes up, apparently the game mostly utilizes only one CPU core causing frame pacing issues. Confirmed in a post by a community liaison for Turn 10 on the Forza forums, the limitation is too minimize input latency.

By playing the demo, though, it's readily apparent that while the average frame rate is not a problem at all, there is a lot of stuttering due to frame pacing issues. This immediately reminded PC gamers of early issues in Forza Horizon 3, which were eventually fixed with an update by Playground Games...

Last edited:
What...what the fuck?! I don't recall this being an issue with Forza 6 Apex on PC.

Always enjoyed Forza on xbox console... got rid of it though because meh.

If they limit it to a single CPU.... fuck them, I'll gladly skip buying it on that principal alone.

There has been an update on this via wccftech by way of an MS rep.

"Forza Motorsport 7 is not limited to running on one core. There seems to have been a miscommunication along the way. “Forza Motorsport 7” uses as many cores as are available on whatever system it runs on, whether that is a 4- to 16-core PC or the 7 cores available on Xbox One."

Horizon 3 never did end up working on pc for me, might just sit this one out.

Forza 6 ran great out of the box, not sure why 7 has so many issues but in a game demanding smooth quick reactions, hitching for even a few frames is disastrous. Didn't matter what settings I chose, even running on a 1080 this game was pretty much unplayable.

So what your trying to say is that my Threadripper will have 15 other cores just sitting around watching the show... or rather 15 other cores watch one core get tortured :p

In all seriousness though, if your not programming on multiple cores in this day and age, no matter what the reason (You can have low latency running on multiple cores if you know what your doing), it just goes to show the developers programming skills are amateur at best.

I downloaded the demo yesterday but never got around to it. I am now downloading onto my main computer to see what it is like, thanks for the reminder. :)

There has been an update on this via wccftech by way of an MS rep.

"Forza Motorsport 7 is not limited to running on one core. There seems to have been a miscommunication along the way. “Forza Motorsport 7” uses as many cores as are available on whatever system it runs on, whether that is a 4- to 16-core PC or the 7 cores available on Xbox One."
Thanks for posting. Internet outrage narrowly cut-off at the pass. thanks

But they didn't make the game, what would they know, they just have a financial stake in it. When i7700k/1080ti owners have stuttering issues somethings wrong and this rep clearly can't explain that while the turn 10 one did.

Except Forza Motorsports is developed by Turn 10 Studios.....Which was created and owned by MS specifically for the Forza games....

here's the cpu usage.. this is using the system listed below all stock.

AAZEhbL.png

rfYukCr.png

the really high usage spikes at the beginning and toward the end is just from loading the menu on game start and end of race then the usage goes right back to normal. so yeah both of them are liars.. the liason doesn't know squat and the microsoft rep doesn't understand how windows load balancing works on their own operating system. sorry but that's definitely not using all the threads available to it, nice try microsoft. as far as the stuttering goes i can't comment since the game runs stutter free for me but i'm also only running 75hz so maybe its 120hz+ where the stuttering shows up.

Last edited:
So what your trying to say is that my Threadripper will have 15 other cores just sitting around watching the show... or rather 15 other cores watch one core get tortured :p

In all seriousness though, if your not programming on multiple cores in this day and age, no matter what the reason (You can have low latency running on multiple cores if you know what your doing), it just goes to show the developers programming skills are amateur at best.

even my f#cking png optimizxer batch script is multithreaded and uatomatically detects numbers of cores... a freaking .bat file

here's the cpu usage.. this is using the system listed below all stock.

the really high usage spikes at the beginning and toward the end is just from loading the menu on game start and end of race then the usage goes right back to normal. so yeah both of them are liars.. the liason doesn't know squat and the microsoft rep doesn't understand how windows load balancing works on their own operating system. sorry but that's definitely not using all the threads available to it, nice try microsoft. as far as the stuttering goes i can't comment since the game runs stutter free for me but i'm also only running 75hz so maybe its 120hz+ where the stuttering shows up.

Thank you for giving some metrics but please understand that this type of data is pretty bad for showing CPU scaleabilty as one thread can move from core to core over time. Soo .egs 25% usage on 4 cores can be still be justa single threade application because you measure CPU usage over time.
Like this:

Core_STuff.png

If you could/would. it would be helpful if you used process explorer from Microsoft.
- select the game process on the list and dblt click it
- Go under threads and sort by CPU usage

Should look something like the right of this picture
CPUbottleneck.png

sadly it doesnt have an "over time" graph :(

Im confused, the demo is using all 4 of my cores pretty heavily and running butter smooth, i did notice some stutter when the game was loading but that was it ? im running 1440p

Desktop_Screenshot_2017.09.23_-_14.19.30.45.png

Im confused, the demo is using all 4 of my cores pretty heavily and running butter smooth, i did notice some stutter when the game was loading but that was it ? im running 1440p

is that a replacement for the old samurizer you have running on the top right of the desktop ?

most likely because the game uses 4 threads and then windows load balances it beyond that.. i'll probably mess with it some more using affinity settings tonight to see how many actual threads it'll use before windows load balancing takes effect.

Thank you for giving some metrics but please understand that this type of data is pretty bad for showing CPU scaleabilty as one thread can move from core to core over time. Soo .egs 25% usage on 4 cores can be still be justa single threade application because you measure CPU usage over time.
Like this:

If you could/would. it would be helpful if you used process explorer from Microsoft.
- select the game process on the list and dblt click it

Should look something like the right of this picture

sadly it doesn't have an "over time" graph :(

agree it's not a scientific proof of anything, i merely post it to show that it's not actually using all the threads available to it and is in fact windows load balancing using the extra threads.

most likely because the game uses 4 threads and then windows load balances it beyond that.. i'll probably mess with it some more using affinity settings tonight to see how many actual threads it'll use before windows load balancing takes effect.

agree it's not a scientific proof of anything, i merely post it to show that it's not actually using all the threads available to it and is in fact windows load balancing using the extra threads.

I'll still advice to use process explorer that way you can see all the threads and how they behave load wise according to each other. without having to mess with affinity

Demo is running great on my system.. And I hardly have a monster system anymore. 5820k and a 1080TI.

My only real complaint is that it's capped to 60FPS right now, but they claim that it'll be unlocked at release.

I'll still advice to use process explorer that way you can see all the threads and how they behave load wise according to each other. without having to mess with affinity

yeah i'll mess process explorer instead.. was messing with the affinity settings in windows and load balancing does some odd shit even though thread 1 and thread 4 sit at 100% load no matter what i do but it seems to try and spread out what ever is on thread 2 and 3 to what ever extra cores i make available to it but not in a balanced fashion as you'd expect. gotta mess around with it some more to see what windows is actually doing. i saw 100% load across all 4 threads though when it was capped so yeah i'd say quad core is the bare minimum for the game.

from process explorer..(if there's something else you're looking for let me know)
UHjZRfS.png

Last edited:
Was looking at this last night checking gpu utilization in afterburner and noticed thread one running at 100 percent the majority of the time. The other 15 threads significantly less and very similar looking graphs. All tested at 60fps v-sync setting, though its possible the game is falling below 60fps and that is why the cpu use is dropping in the final test (less frames)

Last edited:
went ahead and checked this out again. Core 0 runs at 100% while playing at 1440p maxed out graphics settings. Setting to 4k seems to show a similar behavior. 4K with 125% scaling shows core 0 dropping to high 80s low-mid 90s % utilization.

is that a replacement for the old samurizer you have running on the top right of the desktop ?

its basicly conky for windows, its called desktop info http://www.glenn.delahoy.com/software/

it can only be configured in the ini file so it takes some tinkering to get it to look how u want it

here mine if u want to just copy and paste

[options]
top=25
#left=25
#bottom=35
right=25
width=550
fontface=Arial
fontsize=13
cleartype=1
ssfontsize=12
formcolor=000000
contextmenu=1
allowdrag=0
offset=1
networkadapterfilter=Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
#language=english.ini
msnstatus=0
inimonitortime=15
#log=desktopinfo.log

[items]
# date / time
COMMENT=active:1,interval:0,color:DDDDDD,style:bu,text:Turdpeterson
DATETIME=active:0,interval:1,color:DDDDDD
TIMEZONE=active:0,interval:60,color:DDDDDD
HOST=active:1,interval:0,color:DDDDDD
USER=active:0,interval:0,color:DDDDDD
BOOTTIME=active:0,interval:0,color:DDDDDD
UPTIME=active:1,interval:1,color:DDDDDD
# hardware
COMMENT=active:1,interval:0,color:DDDDDD,style:bu,text:Hardware
OEMINFO=active:0,interval:0,color:DDDDDD
CPUTYPE=active:1,interval:0,color:DDDDDD
CPUCOUNT=active:1,interval:0,color:DDDDDD
CPUTEMP=active:0,interval:10,color:DDDDDD
CORETEMP=active:0,interval:10,color:DDDDDD
BATTERY=active:0,interval:60,color:DDDDDD,chart:1
MOTHERBOARD=active:1,interval:0,color:DDDDDD
BIOS=active:0,interval:0,color:DDDDDD
DISPLAYCONTROLLER=active:1,interval:0,color:DDDDDD
AUDIOCONTROLLER=active:0,interval:0,color:DDDDDD
SERIALNUMBER=active:0,interval:0,color:DDDDDD
# processes
COMMENT=active:1,interval:0,color:DDDDDD,style:bu,text:processes
CPU=active:0,interval:5,color:DDDDDD,chart:1,threshold:95,tcolor:DDDDDD
CPUUSAGE=active:1,interval:5,color:DDDDDD,chart:1,threshold:95,tcolor:DDDDDD,count:5
PROCESSCOUNT=active:1,interval:5,color:DDDDDD,chart:0,threshold:100,tcolor:DDDDDD
TOPPROCESSCPU=active:1,interval:5,color:DDDDDD,chart:0,threshold:95,tcolor:DDDDDD
TOPPROCESSMEM=active:1,interval:5,color:DDDDDD,chart:0,threshold:500,tcolor:DDDDDD
TOPPROCESSPF=active:0,interval:5,color:DDDDDD,chart:0,threshold:5000,tcolor:DDDDDD
# windows configuration
COMMENT=active:1,interval:0,color:DDDDDD,style:bu,text:Windows Configuration
OSVERSION=active:1,interval:0,color:DDDDDD
OSBUILD=active:1,interval:0,color:DDDDDD
SERVICEPACK=active:0,interval:0,color:DDDDDD
IEVERSION=active:0,interval:0,color:DDDDDD
DIRECTX=active:0,interval:0,color:DDDDDD
SCREEN=active:1,interval:120,color:DDDDDD
# memory
COMMENT=active:1,interval:0,color:DDDDDD,style:bu,text:Memory
PHYSICALRAM=active:1,interval:5,color:DDDDDD,chart:1,threshold:90,tcolor:DDDDDD
VIRTUALMEMORY=active:0,interval:5,color:DDDDDD,chart:0,threshold:90,tcolor:DDDDDD
PAGEFILE=active:0,interval:5,color:DDDDDD,chart:0,threshold:90,tcolor:DDDDDD
PAGEFAULTS=active:0,interval:5,color:DDDDDD,chart:2,threshold:5000,tcolor:DDDDDD
# network adapters
COMMENT=active:1,interval:0,color:DDDDDD,style:bu,text:Network Adapters
NETWORKADAPTER=active:1,interval:30,color:DDDDDD,activeonly:1,count:8
IPADDRESS=active:1,interval:30,color:DDDDDD,offset=1
#MACADDRESS=active:1,interval:60,color:DDDDDD,offset=1
GATEWAY=active:1,interval:30,color:DDDDDD,offset=1
DHCPSERVER=active:0,interval:30,color:DDDDDD,offset=1
WINSSERVER=active:0,interval:30,color:DDDDDD,offset=1
# disks
COMMENT=active:1,interval:0,color:DDDDDD,style:bu,text:Fixed Disks
FIXEDDISK=active:1,interval:10,color:DDDDDD,chart:0,threshold:90,tcolor:DDDDDD,count:8,filter:C:D:E:F
DISKIO=active:1,interval:10,color:DDDDDD,chart:1,threshold:10000,tcolor:DDDDDD
# printers
COMMENT=active:0,interval:0,color:DDDDDD,style:bu,text:printers
PRINTER=active:0,interval:60,color:888888,count:4
PRINTERSTATUS=active:0,interval:60,color:888888
# misc
COMMENT=active:0,interval:0,color:DDDDDD,style:iu,text:Miscellaneous - Testing
FILE=active:0,interval:10,color:ff8888,type:text,text:Setup,file:c:\setup.log
REGISTRY=active:0,interval:10,color:ff8888,tree:1,text:Run Key MSC,key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\MSC
EVENTLOG=active:0,interval:10,color:ff8888,text:System Events,log:System
TSSESSIONS=active:0,interval:10,color:888888
UNREADMAIL=active:0,interval:60,color:888888,chart:0,threshold:10,tcolor:DDDDDD

Last edited:
Drive Club looks better then the new Forza from the videos I saw. That came out how long ago? Could be wrong I guess, only saw a couple videos. But FFS, Shouldn't this be a big plus for the one X? Making the port run on one core it's just stupid as well. Lazy? I don't know

yeah i'll mess process explorer instead.. was messing with the affinity settings in windows and load balancing does some odd shit even though thread 1 and thread 4 sit at 100% load no matter what i do but it seems to try and spread out what ever is on thread 2 and 3 to what ever extra cores i make available to it but not in a balanced fashion as you'd expect. gotta mess around with it some more to see what windows is actually doing. i saw 100% load across all 4 threads though when it was capped so yeah i'd say quad core is the bare minimum for the game.

from process explorer..(if there's something else you're looking for let me know)

this is mostly the same as what is in taskmanager and any other CPU monitorting programs. what we need to see is te thread utilization

- select the game process on the list and dblt click it ( this list is to the left on the main display

Guide.png

This is an example with the new MAster of Orion. it show that i am, if not Core speed bottlenekcing, i am at least getting pretty close since on thread hits 11.19% and the maximum one thread can go on an 8 logical core CPU is 12.5%.
It also show that it has 2 other CPU heavy threads that only has roughly half the load of the main one.
The 4th highest thread is pretty low and unimportant... this game maximum utilizes 3 cores practically.
All the sub 1 percentesr has a combined usage of between 3-4% might basically justify a 4th core in rare conditions. but more practically a corespeed bottleneck is gonna kick in before a 4th core can be used.

this is mostly the same as what is in taskmanager and any other CPU monitorting programs. what we need to see is te thread utilization

- select the game process on the list and dblt click it ( this list is to the left on the main display

Guide.png

This is an example with the new MAster of Orion. it show that i am, if not Core speed bottlenekcing, i am at least getting pretty close since on thread hits 11.19% and the maximum one thread can go on an 8 logical core CPU is 12.5%.
It also show that it has 2 other CPU heavy threads that only has roughly half the load of the main one.
The 4th highest thread is pretty low and unimportant... this game maximum utilizes 3 cores practically.
All the sub 1 percentesr has a combined usage of between 3-4% might basically justify a 4th core in rare conditions. but more practically a corespeed bottleneck is gonna kick in before a 4th core can be used.

the highest I saw (just checked) was 6.06 for the top thread, but that was pausing and alt tabbing out of the game. The rest are around 1.** or less.

edit: the nurburgring race in the rain shows a broader spread. 4.7, 3.2, 2.3, 1.4 for the top 4 threads.

the highest I saw (just checked) was 6.06 for the top thread, but that was pausing and alt tabbing out of the game. The rest are around 1.** or less.

edit: the nurburgring race in the rain shows a broader spread. 4.7, 3.2, 2.3, 1.4 for the top 4 threads.

TY the definitely show more than scaling over 1 core.
Thats usage of 56.4% 38.4% 27.6% 16.8% of a core

Besides showing you are GPU bottlenecked it also show us it should be around 3-4 core for optimal performance

looking at dregons numbers and assumming onthing else is eating CPU. we also her see a minimum of 4 CPU threads

menu:
OzXBKI1.png

nurburgring
Ao7mdTD.png

pretty hard to catch perfectly since the 4th highest thread always disapears 1-2 seconds after you alt tab which auto pauses the game.

Drive Club looks better then the new Forza from the videos I saw. That came out how long ago? Could be wrong I guess, only saw a couple videos. But FFS, Shouldn't this be a big plus for the one X? Making the port run on one core it's just stupid as well. Lazy? I don't know

the game looks great, i wouldn't worry about the single core thing since we've pretty much shown they were full of it including microsoft who said there's no thread limit either. the feel of the menu is exactly like destiny 2 so you still get that terrible console port feel but it's not really that bad to deal with.

Last edited:
Demo is running great on my system.. And I hardly have a monster system anymore. 5820k and a 1080TI.

My only real complaint is that it's capped to 60FPS right now, but they claim that it'll be unlocked at release.

Mine ran at 100fps. I have seen others state this like you, so what is the stock Hz of your monitor?

Mine ran at 100fps. I have seen others state this like you, so what is the stock Hz of your monitor?

It's the Dell 144hz w/ GSync monitor.

The game wouldn't let me choose any options besides 30FPS / 30FPS w/VSYNC / 60 FPS / 60 FPS w/VSYNC. No other options in the demo.

Not sure how you're getting 100FPS. The game is hard frame capped at 60FPS at the moment.

The game wouldn't let me choose any options besides 30FPS / 30FPS w/VSYNC / 60 FPS / 60 FPS w/VSYNC. No other options in the demo.

Not sure how you're getting 100FPS. The game is hard frame capped at 60FPS at the moment.
? I couldn't find the vsync option, didn't really look that hard. I have the Samsung 3440-1440 100hz ultrawide.

pretty hard to catch perfectly since the 4th highest thread always disapears 1-2 seconds after you alt tab which auto pauses the game.

Yeah that is sadly an issue with tis approcuh but ive found no other software that can give this info.
I've been trying to make my own but i ran into issue keeping an propper list of all curren threads

you can only get your monitor refresh rate in the menu screen, actual racing is locked to 60fps. i suspect that'll be fixed on the actual release but i decided to hold off on my preorder until that's shown to be true.

Back