Forums being marked as read

Snowknight26

Supreme [H]ardness
I don't know if anyone else has this problem but each time I go to HardForum I see that there are a lot of new posts since the last time I visited. If I then go to any forum (Hot Deals, General Mayhem, General Gaming, etc.), everything becomes marked as read. This has happened 3 times so far today and it becomes quite frustrating knowing what you have or haven't read yet.

Was a change made recently (let's say the last 2 months) to read status handling? I think vBulletin offers 3 different styles, cookies and 2 database methods.

I've tried the works, clearing cookies, logging out, etc., to no avail.

Seems to happen mostly when I have two separate sessions (logged in and browsing from work, then again at home).

Any clues?

Nope. Logoff and don't leave two open? Have you tried that?

It still happens randomly.

When I go to hardforum.com I see basically every section has new posts. If I refresh the page everything is marked as read.

It has to be some failure in vBulletin that's causing the whole forum to be marked as read.

Happens to me sometimes too. Not a huge deal most of the time though, just a minor annoyance.

Do not know what to tell you. When I have seen these issues, clearing cache has solved all my issues. Nothing has changed on our end.

Alright, more info that makes believe it's the forum.

I just opened my browser, went to hardforum.com and I looked at the "you last visited" time in the upper-right of the forum index.
It read:
You last visited: Today at 09:23 AM
So far so good.

I then clicked on some subforum (probably HotDeals) and then it read:
You last visited: Today at 01:01 PM
That was the exact time that I clicked on the link. It should still say 9:23 AM.

According to a vBulletin developer,
Last visited refers to the end of your last session.
Why was the session ended as soon as it started? Silly vBulletin.

Cause you do not log off likely? so it thinks your still logged in until you come back to the site and it creates a new session perhaps.

It never happened until I initially posted about it. Never logging off has not been an issue before, nor is it an issue on any other vBulletin forum.

Back