Forum Warning

:eek:

Excuse me for offending, if that was directed at me. I was merely accepting the invitation in the original post that "comments are welcomed", and trying to make positive contribution.

Guess I misunderstood. Sorry about that.

The people here are so hell-bent on arguing they'll do it in a thread warning against arguing.

I say ban everyone itt, myself included.

I bow to my Domo Mast....Okay, okay, I already said that, huh?:p

All ur base r belong 2 Domo..:D

If you feel someone is deliberately trolling the forum with mis-information and outrageous claims.....report the thread. If you do not feed the trolls, the thread dies and goes away. It's the responses that fuel the fire.

I have a burning desire to point out two threads in particular that I felt meet this criteria, but in the spirit of letting them drop I'll leave them nameless...

However...

When threads are started based on articles that are rife with misinformation, outrageous claims, and/or blatant FUD, should we report those as trolling as well?

I'm all for demanding better behavior of post content here, but there's a fine line to be walked here. One person's misinformation may be another person's definitive source of information. I'm asking because this could be a complex issue, what with the [H] having its own op-ed section of articles now.

It is NOT "very well written"! It is filled with typos, clumsy grammatical structure, and repetition.

I sometimes write for payment, and when I do so the work I produce gets revised to ensure that it is good product. When I write for free, as is the case in forum posts, my work doesn't get accorded that treatment. The point is, though, (and on-topic) I'd expect that people will read my contributions for what they are and what they say, and call me out only where they can convincingly demonstrate an innaccuracy, or indicate a passage where my language construction has been misleading.

Ok, should have said good points bad writing, thinking is not at it highest point when working a midnight shift.

Yes, anything that looks to be a trouble maker, report it and let the Moderators sort it out. If anyone joins in trying to straighten out the truth and becomes embroiled in the flaming/namecalling....it's just like a fight in high school....everyone involved gets suspended. Report the thread and walk away.

I
When threads are started based on articles that are rife with misinformation, outrageous claims, and/or blatant FUD, should we report those as trolling as well?

[snip]..it's just like a fight in high school....everyone involved gets suspended. Report the thread and walk away.

So, it's not advisable for us to all meet at a specific sub-forum after the bell rings? Man, I used to love fights in high school, too..:mad:

:p:p:p:p:p

What!? I'm just trying to make things a little less tense and more light hearted, which is why I joined --and decided to assist with OS troubleshooting to the best of my ability at-- the [H]OCP in the first place...

The recent mudslinging almost made me wanna take my toys and go home!

The sandbox seems to be getting back to normal, again..

Guess I'll have to wait and see..

There will be a few brave, albeit unwise members who wish to test the waters and see how far to push the envelope...after they take a month long restful vacation from posting, it will grab the attention of others and I'm sure it will calm the waters even further. Understand that I don't like banning anyone and go to great lengths to prevent it, but there are limits to anything. To quote Bill and Ted "Be excellect to each other" :cool:

"Windows Vista sucks. It's going to die. Switch to Linux"...
Wishful thinking... Doesn't seem to be an unreasonable statement, if one of they many people who have that opinion were to express it, not nearly so bad as a personal attack on a forum member is it?

"sucks" is objective, a matter of opinion, and since it's someone's opinion, it most certainly could be 100% correct.

It's a shame that any forum can't simply post the disclaimer: "We are not responsible for the content of posts" then there could be SECTIONS where "anything goes" (other than personal attacks and threats) for ALL the members.

It's a shame that any forum can't simply post the disclaimer: "We are not responsible for the content of posts" then there could be SECTIONS where "anything goes" (other than personal attacks and threats) for ALL the members.
We have that already.

As djnes just pointed out, this forum has such a thing already. The fact that you're making such a statement only comes across as a testament that perhaps you haven't read the rules and/or all the required reading people are expected to absorb when they join this forum - and most any other.

zacdl's "quote" there was taken out of context but I guess that's not relevant at this point.

What irks me is that if I make a post and some Mod decides it's not acceptable, it gets deleted and then I get a warning for it - the warning comes with a link to the post and of course that's absolutely useless because the Mod deleted the very content I'm supposed to be getting a warning about.

My suggestion: When a posting is having the hammer dropped on it, do us all the courtesy of copying the comment or the entire post IN the warning so we have some freakin' clue what some Mod has deemed unworthy of remaining in the public's purview.

Is that too much to ask? The "evidence" copied and pasted into the very warning we're recieving so we know precisely what the warning is about instead of smack on the wrist and a "Don't do that" which obviously begs the response: "What did I do?"

I make enough postings around here that I don't keep tabs on every single one; no one can be expected to remember the content of every single post they make, no one. So if anyone is listening, especially those "in charge" around here, I'd hope a copy of the problem or the post that's being deleted can be supplied from now on.

I know I go off the path sometimes, we all do, but when I get slapped for it, I wanna know the fuckin' reason and not just "Don't do that."

How about you shoot the mod a PM and don't post dumb flame pictures on the forum.

I think what bbz_Ghost is trying to say, is that he feels it's much like marriage.

You did something wrong, or atleast you're pretty sure you did something wrong. You may not know exactly what "it" was, but you're being punished for it, and given the "You know what you did" look...even though you might not actually know. ;)

How about you shoot the mod a PM and don't post dumb flame pictures on the forum.

Now who could I report that to? :D

Sometimes a picture is precisely what's needed to add brevity to a situation where the words just aren't getting the point across. But then again, if people can't read the words, and the pic isn't pr0n, who cares, right?

Back