Fortinet 60D - Wizard Does Not Save Config

rosco

Gawd
The short version of my problem is I have a new Fortinet 60D that I upgraded to v5.0.7 firmware. I then went through the Wizard to set it up. (sorry, new to Fortinet and it makes it easy to get the initial setup done) However, after rebooting my 60D it was back at defaults. I have tried different ways of going through the wizard and it won't save.

Fortinet support has been terrible so far so I thought I would ask your thoughts. I had the problem one day, spent 1hr + on hold and ended up having customer service just get my number for a call back. Got the call back 24 hrs later and explained my problem. The engineer said he would test that out and get back to me. It's almost been another 24hrs and still have not heard back.

I did figure out that if after running the wizard I backup the config, then restore that backup config it seems to save the settings. However, when I tried putting it into production it was not acting right. My laptop plugged into it could surf the net, ping internet hosts etc just fine. A workstation on the network I was using to test could ping the Fortinet, pull up the admin page but could not surf the net or ping out.

So, I removed the Fortinet from production as it was not acting right. It was setup as Full UTM by default so I don't know if there was some setting there not allowing traffic.

At this point, if I can't get an answer about the wizard, I may just try setting it back to default, and manually configuring everything. Being a newb though that could end up creating a new set of problems. :)

In my experience, it's not that the Wizard doesn't save the config. It's that certain configs bomb the wizard as it tries to save. Set the basics with the wizard, but don't do anything exotic. Save that for the full GUI. I had a similar issue with a 30D that I was setting up for a client last week. I forget what it was that caused it, because I normally don't use the wizard anyway, just figured I'd at least expose myself to it.

Have you tried switching to the 2nd memory partition? Usually you want to do your setup in stages. Start with LAN/WAN and basic routing, then enable services like UTM.

I guess I would have just expected for it to throw back an error if there was one.

So LAN, WAN, and virtual servers in the first step?

Then, after that, would I re-run the wizard to configure another piece, like SSL VPN, or UTM?

Rosco, what features are you looking to utilize? I personally skip the wizard. There are some funny dependancies about adjusting policies and interfaces on a factory default. I manage 25+ Fortigate units, you are welcome to message me if you'd like.

Btw fortinets are deny by default. If you don't make a rule to allow traffic it won't go through

I was able to configure LAN/WAN default route manually and then use the wizard to configure VIP. I think it's kind of funny that a company as established as Fortinet has these kinds of problems with a wizard though. I realize many of their users would not ever use the wizard but if they are going to decide to put it in place, they might as well have it work right.

I also think it's kind of odd that they have the upgrade path the way they do. Again, even Linksys let's you take whatever old version you are on and upgrade to the latest directly.

Enough complaining, it's in place and working well so far.

The fortinets have a lot more options and advanced capabilities. A lot of commands get deprecated as the versions progress. That is why the upgrade path is the way it is :-(

Back