Formula BOINC

We gained another spot today in Collatz and are now up to 8th place and 4 points..

I received a PM at PrimeGrid from [AF>Amis des Lapins] Phil1966

Hello !

We would like to congratulate [H]ard|OCP for your Gold Medail in the 2014 Formula Boinc : http://formula-boinc.org/index.py?lang=en
We hope to see you back in 2015.

Would you please be so kind to share this message on your forum ?

Thank You:)

And sorry for the mistake in my first message.

Philippe

so you peeps have teams doing certain projects?
if so which project would be good for a single Opteron 6234 es chip @3Ghz?

Not really teams doing certain projects but rather one team that has various people contributing where they like. We have various challenges and competitions that some partake in and some do not. Some of our team pick a single project and stick to that.

Formula-BOINC was just a year long challenge incorporating the majority of the BOINC projects. This year's competition is over. So, we now wait for next year's rules to be announced. We have another ongoing never ending challenge called DC-Vault that incorporates both BOINC and non-BOINC projects.

My suggestion is to decide if you want to contribute to a science you like or whether you are just pushing team standing. Also, the amount of RAM in the system can also factor in the decision of the suggested project.

so IF I change my system ram from 8-16Gb this could affect things also?.
the one problem I am having is getting Bionc to run on Linux even after following the instructions I still have problems so I am using win 10 which is an ok system, but I am very sure that Linux would be better .
just relized that this is off topic I appoligize fopr that.

Well since Formula-BOINC for 2014 has come to a close, I don't think many will mind.

Which version of Linux? You will find Ubuntu to be the best/most supported. And yes, for CPU work, Linux tends to outscore Windows at most projects.

Increasing RAM will be positive regardless of the project you choose. Some projects want very little RAM. Some will want a ton. I have seen single work units desire 8GB of RAM before at specific projects. So, as you could imagine the shock some people would see when their boxes become super slow or not responsive. However, those projects have adjusted since then. It is not uncommon for some projects to want 3GB Ram for work units as they may use the virtualbox wrapper. So, yes the amount of RAM will certainly affect my suggestions. On a 12 core rig, that gives you ~<666MB per core because the OS will want some. Many projects float around the 512MB range but there are more and more each day asking for more.

Here is a good project that I recommend running alongside all other projects that collects this kind of data and lets you view it for project planning. http://wuprop.boinc-af.org/ If you click on the link to the left that says "Results" you can actually search BOINC projects based on different credentials like RAM, CPU, OS, etc...

Right now we are doing a WCG challenge that is one of the most respected and stable projects out there. To get your feet wet, I recommend attaching to it. The only work units they have that are system intense are CEP2 which want up to 1GB RAM and has a lot of IOs. By default you only receive one per rig but you can change that preference from your WCG account. You can register an account here: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/reg/viewRegister.do?recruiterId=338542

Thank you for info I will check those out.
As for Linux I actually have Ubuntu installed but am having problems with it, I am going to reboot and boot into Linux right now

Which instructions did you follow and which version of Ubuntu are you using? If you install from the repository it is pretty well straight forward. If not, then yeah that could be a little more tricky.

I didn't use the repository :( , how do I uninstall and then reinstall using the repository?

once I get this set up on the single opteron I am to do the same with my SR2 system t

I'm not the linux guru... so not sure how you got it installed to begin with. My guide walks you through the repository install.

Shadomeph, have you gone over http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041267236&postcount=9 ?

If you don't have the requested info any more, start from scratch and PLEASE, paste
everything, not just error the message. Error message isn't enough to figure out which
step you were at or which steps you may or may not have performed.

Given you're on a single-socket (albeit dual-node) box, gains from patched BOINC won't
be pronounced so yes, you may go with the repo version, which, as such should "just"
work.

Here's Gilthanis' walkthrough http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040486870&postcount=11

Going with DC appliance should also be straightforward (it comes with BOINC preinstalled).

No matter what you choose, make sure to provide as much information as possible,
including but not limited to screenshots, terminal contents, etc.

Ideally, create new thread, like "Shadowmeph's BOINC/Linux setup woes" :-o

hehe ok thanks Tear and gilthanis

I want to run both on single opteron and myu SR2 system which is 2 p which way is best suited for the SR2 system?

Last edited:
Back