Formula 2 Racer Texting While Driving

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
American Formula 2 driver Santino Ferrucci was suspended for four races after a series of crazy events. First he started off the day getting a $7,100 fine for not wearing proper safety gear and texting while driving as he transitioned from the paddock to the race pitlane. If that huge fine for a failure to wear gloves while texting and driving wasn't enough, he then ran his teammate off the track and incurred a penalty during the race. Then he completely lost his mind when he decided to run into the back of his teammate during the cool down lap after the race which secured him the four race ban and another $70,600 fine. For icing on the cake he refused to show for the meetings with the Formula 2 officials to discuss the three incidents, so his entire Sprint Race effort at Silverstone and championship points from the associated event were wiped from the books.

Good thing that his racing team is called Trident, as it can stick a fork into him as he is likely done.

Video of the bump.

Having also been observed transitioning from the support paddock to the race pitlane wearing just one glove and holding a phone in his hand by a Technical Delegate, Ferrucci also violated both the Technical and Sporting Regulations for incorrect driver safety equipment and the prohibition of wireless transmission devices within the car. For these transgressions, he has earned a further 6000 in fines.

He must hoping for the royalties from the hollywood movie of his career to be the big break. Hopefully he realizes sooner rather than later that the movies are usually done after the racers death.

???

i thought they kept in contact, driver and team, via radio at all times. is that not wireless??

It could be they are meaning transmission devices, that are wireless in operation....not in communication protocol. Meaning something that isn't hard mounted to the car.

Yeah, so much for that career. I can't see any team wanting a hot headed kid destroying their own stuff. It doesn't look like he was particularly that good of a driver either.

Some backstory: Ferrucci's a known asshat who's scored a grand total of 7 points this season up until Silverstone. He's a kid with a rich daddy that gives him whatever he wants and will bail him out of just about everything (including the fines mentioned in the article I'm sure).

i thought they kept in contact, driver and team, via radio at all times. is that not wireless??

"Wireless transmission devices" = cell phones, computers or other equipment not sanctioned by the FIA and physically attached to the car for purposes of racing. IE: You're not allowed to have your iPhone tucked into your racing suit when in or near the car. Pretty much every racing series in existence has this rule or one like it.

Some backstory: Ferrucci's a known asshat who's scored a grand total of 7 points this season up until Silverstone. He's a kid with a rich daddy that gives him whatever he wants and will bail him out of just about everything (including the fines mentioned in the article I'm sure).

That explains a lot. Just another rich asshole failing upwards.

"Wireless transmission devices" = cell phones, computers or other equipment not sanctioned by the FIA and physically attached to the car for purposes of racing. IE: You're not allowed to have your iPhone tucked into your racing suit when in or near the car. Pretty much every racing series in existence has this rule or one like it.

Adding to this, it looks like the Hass team is looking into terminating this kids contract. He is most likely done in the formula racing world.

Edit: It looks like even before all this, the kid AND his father were verbally abusive twards the other Hass driver.

Last edited:
why did he have a cell phone on him in the car? I mean where do you put it in those cockpits? up his ass?

think he would get a fine for some unsecured object in the car.

Millenials, AMIRITE?

lol, it's hard to contextualize the stupidity here... it's definitely world class.

He should apply at IBM!

"Ferrucci hit team-mate and fellow Haas development driver Arjun Maini during the race and also hit him again on the cooldown lap. The Trident team was called to the stewards and told the officials it was a deliberate act on the American driver's part." https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/19021

It would not be inappropriate for criminal charges to be filed. I doubt the TOS for the race included "feel free to deliberately crash into other cars."

Cell phones ... intrusive devices they are what with constant chimes and ringing and texting. The masses have no clue that they have been trained like Pavlov's dogs ... ringer goes off; then can't answer the phone quick enough regardless where they are or what they are doing and the ultimate in self-absorption? The Selfie stick :meh:

Man, that would have totally been the best thing to see ever, him using a selfie-stick to grab a pic of himself during the race... I can only imagine the commentary. lol

Millenials, AMIRITE?

lol, it's hard to contextualize the stupidity here... it's definitely world class.

He should apply at IBM!

Oh please. Max Verstappen joined F1 when he was just 17. Lance Stroll is a son of some Canadian billionaire who also joined F1 when he was 17 (two years ago). They also have super licenses and don't behave like spoiled assholes in the open.

But without his iphone tucked into his race suit how will other drivers easily determine his wealth status?
;-)

Oh please. Max Verstappen joined F1 when he was just 17. Lance Stroll is a son of some Canadian billionaire who also joined F1 when he was 17 (two years ago). They also have super licenses and don't behave like spoiled assholes in the open.
I was kidding :)

I was kidding :)

Thought so but it had to be said.

pjimage-310.jpg

"Ferrucci hit team-mate and fellow Haas development driver Arjun Maini during the race and also hit him again on the cooldown lap. The Trident team was called to the stewards and told the officials it was a deliberate act on the American driver's part." https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/19021

It would not be inappropriate for criminal charges to be filed. I doubt the TOS for the race included "feel free to deliberately crash into other cars."

What the media reports as a 'hit' was really just more of a bump, just that it was clearly intentional both times and that the two teammates (and Ferruccis father) have history. What Ferrucci was trying to do the 1st time was to push his teammate off the racing line (and off track) so that he wasn't passed. The 2nd time was a bump on the rear wheel, just 'cause. The 1st incident happens often (just not between teammates,) and drivers are considered aggressive, if they do it often they are considered a bully. The teams generally try to calm the driver down before they become road bullys though.

Verstappen is a polite kid in the media but he is a really aggressive driver to the point that its costing him races. He probably would be a lot closer in points to Hamilton and Vettel if he would have finished more races this season. Verstappen also has the driving skill to be in F1; he started on a shitty torro roso team and literally forced his way into a red bull, so its not just money that got him there.

Stroll sucks, and if you listen to his radio messages during races you'll hear that he kinda acts spoiled. Also his comments in the media (esp. about massa) can come off as childish. Maybe its just his youth showing with the pressure, but I think he wont be around for long, especially with Kubica desperately wanting back in a driver seat. Last year sky1 was talking about Lance and mentioned that his father spent upwards of 60 million euros on him and his development. One of them questioned if Stroll was truly ready for F1, kind of hinting at the fact that his father basically buying a top end team was the reason for Lances success. Im not saying its true, but Massa was a better driver in the same car and now Sirotkin looks better too.

Verstappen is a polite kid in the media but he is a really aggressive driver to the point that its costing him races. He probably would be a lot closer in points to Hamilton and Vettel if he would have finished more races this season. Verstappen also has the driving skill to be in F1; he started on a shitty torro roso team and literally forced his way into a red bull, so its not just money that got him there.
Stroll sucks, and if you listen to his radio messages during races you'll hear that he kinda acts spoiled. Also his comments in the media (esp. about massa) can come off as childish. Maybe its just his youth showing with the pressure, but I think he wont be around for long, especially with Kubica desperately wanting back in a driver seat. Last year sky1 was talking about Lance and mentioned that his father spent upwards of 60 million euros on him and his development. One of them questioned if Stroll was truly ready for F1, kind of hinting at the fact that his father basically buying a top end team was the reason for Lances success. Im not saying its true, but Massa was a better driver in the same car and now Sirotkin looks better too.
I only started watching F1 again but casually couple years and I'm glad that my feelings are not wrong. Vettel and Verstappen are hotheads where their temper are literally costing them championships especially Vettel. The way they drive is every race is their last race and there is a gun pointed at their head (figuratively speaking!). I can sort of understand why Hamilton is a champion and why the announcers are always respectful of Kimi, also a former champion. Calm and collected wins championships.

This spat between the two teammates reminds me of Ocon and Perez. They made watching F1 races really exciting last season. Cooler heads prevailed but it was still interesting to see if one of them finally lose it due to their teammate's actions.

Last edited:
I only started watching F1 again but casually couple years and I'm glad that my feelings are not wrong. Vettel and Verstappen are hotheads where their temper are literally costing them championships especially Vettel. The way they drive is every race is their last race and there is a gun pointed at their head (figuratively speaking!). I can sort of understand why Hamilton is a champion and why the announcers are always respectful of Kimi, also a former champion. Calm and collected wins championships.

This spat between the two teammates reminds me of Ocon and Perez. They made watching F1 races really exciting last season. Cooler heads prevailed but it was still interesting to see if one of them finally lose it due to their teammate's actions.

Hamilton and calm-collected should not be used in same sentence. He may not have done something as deliberate/obvious as Vettel, but make no mistake, if not in 1st hes just as aggressive as the other two... ok maybe not as bad as Verstappen. Hamilton would mug anyone in front of him, and in 2011 it seemed like every race he would bump into Massa. When Vettel was winning championships, Hamilton would complain almost every weekend, he never out right said it but it was clear he thought Vettel was cheating. Now you see it less because of how dominant mercedes has been these past few years. After Rosberg retired, he said that Hamilton was the most aggressive driver he has ever seen.

If you enjoyed the team fight between Ocon and Perez, try to find vids/read up on the 2007 season with a 2 time world champion Alonso being used as the 2nd driver next to rookie Hamilton at Mclaren-Mercedes. That relationship was doomed from the start.

Hamilton and calm-collected should not be used in same sentence. He may not have done something as deliberate/obvious as Vettel, but make no mistake, if not in 1st hes just as aggressive as the other two... ok maybe not as bad as Verstappen. Hamilton would mug anyone in front of him, and in 2011 it seemed like every race he would bump into Massa. When Vettel was winning championships, Hamilton would complain almost every weekend, he never out right said it but it was clear he thought Vettel was cheating. Now you see it less because of how dominant mercedes has been these past few years. After Rosberg retired, he said that Hamilton was the most aggressive driver he has ever seen.
If you enjoyed the team fight between Ocon and Perez, try to find vids/read up on the 2007 season with a 2 time world champion Alonso being used as the 2nd driver next to rookie Hamilton at Mclaren-Mercedes. That relationship was doomed from the start.
Cool, I'll definitely look that up. Thanks.

Oh hell this happened before a lot of people here may have even been born

Daytona 500, 1979, Donny Allison and Cale Yarborough. And then Bobby Allison pulled up and hopped out of his car to help his brother.

As with hockey, the only reason I liked to watched NASCAR were the horrific pileups and infield brawls;) After this F2 texting debacle, however, I'm truly wondering when that rage will be directed at an errant driver who was playing a game. Imagine if a racer was attempting to play Pokemon GO ROFL:ROFLMAO:

Back