Former PC folks who switched?

Yeah, they've certainly tried. Microsoft hasn't yet produced a touch mouse of any value, though. They're examples of good design backed by shoddy engineering.

I would call the magic mouse limited in value as well. Honestly I dont think they work that well.

I would call the magic mouse limited in value as well. Honestly I dont think they work that well.

Agreed. I do think the Magic Trackpad is fantastic though. Every bit as good as using it on their laptops. I find that certain things are faster using the trackpad, and certain things are faster using the mouse. I have been using both for a while.

Double post. Pretty laggy up in here.

Last edited:

Yep. I think the concept of a touch mouse removes one of the most important features of a mouse - tactile feedback. I am picky about mice though, and still love the MX510/MX518/G400.

The magic trackpad is wonderful because it combines gestures with tactile feedback, yet it's a touchpad.

I've used mac for a while but generally it wasn't as a primary machine. Right now I'm on a mac mini with an ssd. Still running a windows vm on it for some things like outlook(the pc versions search is so much better than the mac version. I still have my pc laptops though.

Biggest problems I had are things like the snap features in windows 7 which are missing in mac os. You have some third party programs that help add it in though. Past that for the most part I've been happy.

Haven't fully switched, but I am very vested in Apple's ecosystem. Not a rabid fanboy, but I function well in it.

Using a MacBook Air / iPad / iPhone setup, I'm a casual user in general, I just like to sync my content across my devices and like simplicity and power.

I thought about selling my MBA because I was only using it for very basic tasks, but I keep it because its such a quality machine, everything from the build, KB, touchpad, its worth the premium to me given the resell value it will also offer when I'm ready to upgrade, so I decided to hang onto it and keep using it, its a wonderful machine.

I'm tempted in a iMac here and there, and I've owned one in the past before switching back to building my rig again, for right now, I keep my main rig in my sig listed for my light gaming and media content, and general desktop browsing. Because lets face it, it is more enjoyable for me to browse on my dell monitor then my MBA.

But my MBA is my personal device and I take it with me to and from work every single day.

The one thing I really liked about Windows was the ease in which I could move around to local drives, connected drives (i.e. flash) and network drives. It is a little clunky in OSX - unless I'm doing something wrong. I'm too used to Explorer.

I'm still liking the Magic Mouse and installed MagicPrefs. It does make things easier.

It takes some getting used to, however the finder can be quite useful. I agree that its file explorer is slightly more robust though.

I think Finder is terrible, but I had to switch over to Mac for programming at this startup I worked at.

Initially, I was really apprehensive because I couldn't find anything, but I've really warmed up to it. I think my new next laptop will Macs in the future. It's just generally a much bigger pleasure to use than I imagined.

I think Finder is terrible, but I had to switch over to Mac for programming at this startup I worked at.

Initially, I was really apprehensive because I couldn't find anything, but I've really warmed up to it. I think my new next laptop will Macs in the future. It's just generally a much bigger pleasure to use than I imagined.

There's 3rd party apps, and Mavericks finder is improved. Don't worry, you're not the only one to think finder sucks.

Ditch finder, get iterm2 (or use another terminal app). If you are unfamiliar with *nix commands, it may take you a while to acclimate, but it is well worth it if you are a programmer, in my opinion.

Once you know your way around the terminal, you'll want to use it for everything.

I think a desktop PC + Mac laptop is the best solution, especially if you're a gamer. I'm impatiently waiting for the Haswell upgraded MacBook Pro to be released so I can grab a sweet little 13" Retina. :D

I agree. PC Desktop + Macbook Laptop.

Back