Formatting through Telnet Please Read

Trinic

Limp Gawd
I have another comp here in my room and was telnetted into it for the hell of it, and i was wondering if it was possible to telnet the computer through telnet...
i tried everything and have done alot of research online but im resulting to hard forums hopefully u can help me...
i started out attempting a regular format while in session but ofcourse the drive is in use so its locked and wouldn't work...
i then went on to trying the debug.exe command in telnet with the subcommands;

F 200 L1000 0
A CS:100
MOV AX,0301
MOV BX,0200
MOV CX,0001
MOV DX,0080
INT 13
INT 20
[Enter]
G
Q

and then pop-up comes up on the other computer with the msg, "16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
debug.exe An application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, which cannot be supported. This may cause the application to function incorrectly. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application." So thats not gonna work

My next attempt would be editing the autoexec.bat file with the command, "format /q /x /v:Label Disk c:" so that it would run the command on bootup before loading windows 2000. I'm able to copy the autoexec.bat to my computer, edit it, and send it bak to my other computer but when i restart nothing happens because autoexec.bat is no more loaded on startup in windows 2000 and is only available in the c: for legacy reasons...

I wanna know if anybody knows of any other way possible to make the autoexec.bat active once again on startup before windows is loaded...

or

even another way to get this done...jus to remind u, this is my other computer and am the type of guy that when i wanna know how to do something, ill spend all the time necessary to see how it can be done, cuz nothings impossible...;)

Alright thanx alot guys and hope you can help,
~Trinic

I don't understand what you're trying to do...

Are you just trying to format the hard drive that has the OS running on it?
One way to do it is with a boot disk, goto bootdisk.com and look for the win98se OEM bootdisk and run format from there.
Or download a linux live cd and format from there.

Or are your just playing around with telnet?

Hm...

It's kinda useless, since you won't be able to get a system installed on it to restore back to, leaving you unable to connect.

Now, if you had a linux machine, you could get something working by resizing & reformatting your swap partition to hold a minimal system, setting that as a default boot image, restarting and then installing from there.

Originally posted by ameoba
It's kinda useless, since you won't be able to get a system installed on it to restore back to, leaving you unable to connect.

Now, if you had a linux machine, you could get something working by resizing & reformatting your swap partition to hold a minimal system, setting that as a default boot image, restarting and then installing from there.

ifconfig eth0 down

Connection to host lost.

Doh! :D

Due to the way the microsoft filesystems are designed, you can't pull the system out from underneath itself. You need to boot from some partition other than the one you want to format. On most linux filesystems, you can completely delete everything on your hard drive and your system would still be running(for a while, at least). The microsoft way sounds good, like it is protecting you or something, but it really limits what you can do(replacing or updating files in use and stuff like that).

Originally posted by jpmkm
Due to the way the microsoft filesystems are designed, you can't pull the system out from underneath itself. You need to boot from some partition other than the one you want to format. On most linux filesystems, you can completely delete everything on your hard drive and your system would still be running(for a while, at least). The microsoft way sounds good, like it is protecting you or something, but it really limits what you can do(replacing or updating files in use and stuff like that).

Not exactly. Windows 9x will allow you to format partitions from right underneath itself. (I have done it by accident.) :eek:

NT's format will not let you do it, due to NT checking if the volume is in use first.

Originally posted by Ranma_Sao
Not exactly. Windows 9x will allow you to format partitions from right underneath itself. (I have done it by accident.) :eek:

Doh :D

That musta been a shit in the ol pants when you did that :D

ahh the joys of command prompts...:cool:
you could put it in c:\docs settings\<user>\start menu\programs\startup\ (damn why do windows paths have to be so long?)

Originally posted by cloaked
ahh the joys of command prompts...:cool:
you could put it in c:\docs settings\<user>\start menu\programs\startup\ (damn why do windows paths have to be so long?)

Still won't work the volume is in use. You could write a kernel mode driver, to bypass all these checks, but why are you doing this? What is the point?

Jeez man how many times are you going to ask this?

If you can see the error message popping up on screen, walk over to the machine, reboot with the windows CD, and FORMAT IT.

The logic is simple:

Windows WILL NOT fuck with its system volume while it is in use (not on purpose, anyway)

If you have it un-mounted, that means the system isn't Loaded.

If the system isn't loaded, that means you have no tcp/ip stack.
That means you have no remote access.

Putting something in the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Run key won't work either. Why? The system is in use. That means that the sysvol is locked.
Same with a cmd file in the Startup Menu.

Blame the back-asswards PC world for staying with the dated BIOS system, and not using CLI firmware like the rest of the computer world. At least on some systems, you can bootstrap the firmware and load a tcp/ip stack so you can remotely fix a machine that can't load it's OS.

Back