• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Formatting new Raptor taking forever!!

Smooothie

n00b
Joined
Dec 21, 2004
Messages
21
ok, so after asking about Raptor's & they're heat, speed, noise, etc...I finally decided to pick one up. I was so close to getting a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 because it came highly recommended from some individuals on this board, but I just couldn't do it. Not only have I never had any good luck with Maxtor's, but I kept reading about failures of these drives. I know I know, all MF's drives fail so this is just my experience & personal opinion, etc.

Anyhow, so I picked up a 74GB SATA Raptor & a WD2500JD. I connect the Raptor first & figure I'll format it first, so off it goes. Now, I understand that a Full Format takes considerably longer than a Quick Format, but jeez, it's approaching 3 hours now & it's only 60% of the way done. What gives?

I currently have an 80GB & 120GB PATA drives on the Primary IDE controller & the Raptor is connected to one of the 2 SATA ports available on my P4P800 Deluxe. There's no strange clicking or anything coming from the Raptor, it sounds perfectly normal. Actually, over my 2 case fans & the 2 fans on my BFG 6800 GT OC, I can't really hear it at all. It's just taking forever. :confused:
 
not sure what's wrong but I can tell you that's way too long
mine takes about 10 minutes to format a 15GB partition so for the whole drive that would be around 45 minutes or so
 
definatly somethings wrong, it only takes me like 30 mins tops to format my 120 gig drive.
 
I seem to remember my 74 GIG Raptor took 20 about minutes

.This is a guesstimate, but theres no way it was much more than that
 
After finally finishing, I cloned my 80GB drive to my Raptor, so it could be my new boot drive & afterwards I couldn't get the system to boot from the Raptor. It wasn't even listed in the section of my BIOS as an option for making it the bootable HD, but it was detected on the 1st SATA port. After a little experimenting with settings, I was finally able to get it to boot from the Raptor by setting 'Enhanced Mode Support' on only the PATA drives (the Bios options are SATA, PATA, or SATA & PATA) under the 'IDE Config' section.

I'm not exactly sure why it has to be set this way because according to the manual, Enhanced mode is for native OS'es like 2000 & XP. I wonder if this has anything to do with why the format took so long. While it was formatting, I would check on the drive every so often & put my ear up to it & there was barely any activity going on. Every 30 secs or so, I'd hear a little Read/Write head movement & then nothing, just the spinning of the platters. I wonder if having the Enhanced Mode setting not set correctly caused the drive to barely get any attention from the OS, hence the extremely long format time.
 
Back
Top