formatting flash drive in OS 9 and OS 10

Grazehell

2[H]4U
I have a client who need his Flash drive formatted in os 9 because he formatted it on a Windows machine and ever since it would not show up in os 9 on the desktop.
I am a hack dumbass so how would one do this if the drive no pop up on the desktop?
Could you tell me how it is done in OS 10 also just for my educational sake

If he formatted it, it should show up in 9 or 10 with no problems. Both of them can read FAT and FAT32 (the file systems used in Windows). Did he format it in NTFS? If so you may have to use Disk Edit and repartition it.

The_Mage18 said:
If he formatted it, it should show up in 9 or 10 with no problems. Both of them can read FAT and FAT32 (the file systems used in Windows). Did he format it in NTFS? If so you may have to use Disk Edit and repartition it.

yeah that is the thing...the problem started as soon as it was formatted in windows abd yes it is far 32 and os 10 reads the thing just fine but it is os 9 and I have read somewhere the it is how os windows write the File allocation table that could be a problem. How do it get to disk edit in os 9 btw...step by step and a PC gawd but a mac idiot.

If you can read it in X, then you shouldn't need to repartition it (Disk Edit is used to partition drives in Mac land.)

Let me get back to you on that. I'm not certain myself but I have a pen drive I can try tonight.

Open up the hard drive, go into Applications, then under Utility run Disk Utility. Here you can reformat the pen drive. I'd recommend Mac OS Standard to ensure it will read in 9.

I take it you have X but his machine can only run 9.

Thanks man it works! yeah when I formatted it in OS X the was a check box with the option for formatting it so that OS 9 can read it(this is when I formatted it with a mac file system)

Back