Formattind an SSD

carlmart

Gawd
Joined
Sep 17, 2006
Messages
691
I am going to do a fresh Windows install on an SSD, and I wonder which is the correct and completely wiping way to do it.

What I usually do, after booting from the DVD disk, is deleting the partitions and just that. The I proceed to install. Is there something else I should do?
 
How many times did you install windows in that ssd?
If the number is high, I usually write zeros and after that, install windows.
 
Your way is correct and will work just fine, but the "complete" way is to perform a Secure Erase (use a tool like partedmagic) and then proceed to install
 
Perhaps 5 or 6 installs, I guess.

How do you do write zeros?

I have parted magic on a DVD. How do I do that Secure Erase? Is there a program in it that does that? Not too much experienced with Linux.
 
Writing zeroes is useless especially if the drive compresses (it will not write anything, basically).

Installing Windows that often seems a bit 90's to me.
 
With an SSD you're simply increasing drive wear by trying to "clean" the drive.

Now, if you're worried about what security tools might recover off the drive, that's one thing.

Otherwise, just nuke the original partitions and do a clean install.
 
Back
Top