Formating and Windows 98 installation problem

Yox

n00b
I am trying to install Windows 98 on an old computer and I ran into a problem that I hope you guys can help me with. I reformatted the hard drive, it got to 100% and looks like it did the 20 or 30 times I have done this before so I put in the install disk and restarted. It booted off the cd and as I went to install it said there is already an OS installed do you want to install over it. I thought it was odd since I had just reformatted but I clicked yes only to get to the next screen that said it can't install over it press F3 to quit. I restarted and tried again and got the same effect so I took the cd out. It starts up like normal and it shows a Windows 98 splash screen for half a second. If you blink you would miss the splash and it goes to the dos prompt. I tried to format it again and it says command not found. Which I have never seen happen before.

So, I can't format it again and I can't install it. What is wrong with this thing and how can I fix it?

run fdisk /mbr on it ... at least I think that is the right command ...

yeah, do fdisk with the win98 floppy disk
and go to delete all main partions or if u were using something other then fat32, go to logitcal drives. delete the parttions and then make a new one. then restart
and let windows 98 setup format the disk or if you want u can format your self

Go with the MBR switch as stated above. Whenever I use 98, I always copy the win98 folder from the cd to the hard drive and run setup from the hard drive. I do this so it doesn't bug me to put the stupid cd in everytime you make a change to windows 98.

To do it, all you need to do is:

Choose Bootup with cdrom support when the setup disk starts
go to the d:(or whatever your cd-rom is)
cd win98
c:
md win98
cd win98
copy d:*.* .
setup

I got it to work thanks.

Next problem:
I don't know the name of the video card, sound card, or modem this computer has. Does anyone know where I can find that Aida32 program to find drivers for this thing? Also is there a generic modem driver that will work with this mystery modem so I can download the other drivers with it? I have to drive for 35 minutes to check this message board.

This computer is my mother and step fathers. My step father has had the same hammer for 40 years and he considers a computer a tool that should last the same time.

look at the chipset that the card is using ... then search for that ... there should also be an FCC number that you can search with ... goodluck ...

Yox said:
I got it to work thanks.

Next problem:
I don't know the name of the video card, sound card, or modem this computer has. Does anyone know where I can find that Aida32 program to find drivers for this thing? Also is there a generic modem driver that will work with this mystery modem so I can download the other drivers with it? I have to drive for 35 minutes to check this message board.

This computer is my mother and step fathers. My step father has had the same hammer for 40 years and he considers a computer a tool that should last the same time.

Good old mystery hardware. I've found the best way to find out what they are is to open the machine and identify chipsets/anything else that the card might reveal about it's manfacturor. Sounds like a pain though for you if you have to drive back and forth, I'd say grab the box and bring it to your place and set it up, then bring it back, I've foudn that to be the easist way to concour those problems, after spending 5 hours reloading my parents box one time, going back and forth to my place 4 times.

You should explain to your step father that a hammer doesn't have moving parts or electricity driving anything, and that it's quite a bit different, but I imagine he wouldn't listen anyways....I know those types. :rolleyes:

Back