Forget Crysis! GH3 FTW!!!!

I play guitar for a punk band called 3DAYBINGE. I play guitar hero because it's fun. The same reasson other people play video games. I have never encountered someone who was good at guitar hero saying that they were better than a real guitar player. Why do people insist on comparing to playing real guitar. Perhaps some people who play guitar hero have absolutely no interest in learning real guitar. Just like people who like playing BF 2 or CS have no interest in joinging the army. Anyhow I don't see how making youtube videos of you playing covers of other peoples songs in your bedroom makes you so great :p

On a side note GH3 kicks ass. A little to easy though. I'm at the final boss battle already and I played the game on expert.

I think I am going to toss in my 2c here as to why I picked up GH3....

I have tried to learn guitar on my own a couple of time (ok not very hard but tried none-the-less) and just could never get it. I actually need to take lessens but it seemed that Real Life (school work, work, social life, fiance etc) always got into the way. I would love to be able to pick up a real guitar and jam with my buddies when I get a chance to see them but unfortunately my skill level does not allow me to do this (most of them have been playing for atleast 8+yrs). So this is where GH3 comes in. It is not so much a replacement for a real guitar but the ability for me and my buddies to pick up a "fake" guitar and jam together and have it sound real and fun. When the time comes I will pick up a real guitar and learn to play but for the time being it acts as a bridge for that gap that allows us to play together, have some fun, drink a few beers and with the online play we can bitch and cap on one another over the phone (via bluetooth or whatever). Also, since my fiance and I both want to learn after we get married I feel it is a good pre-cursor to learning how to play the real thing, for me it will be learning to use all the fingers on my hands to do independant things, for her it will be the ability to play a real song without having to spend countless hours in with a tutor while we are trying to plan our wedding.

Remember, this is a game not ment as a replacement for the real thing but to "give it a shot." Hell I know a few family friends that picked up GH2 and liked it so much they actually picked up a real guitar and lessons and learned to play. I do understand what you guys are saying about the people that think they are "guitar gods" because they play GH but for those of us that are using as a chance to try out it out and possibly do the real thing, maybe lay-off. Not everyone can pick up an instrument all that easily just like some people are more gifted at picking up a sport than others (hell I could do basic wakeboarding on my first attempt when I could never skate. I actually was better on my first time up than someone that had been trying for years. But does that make me any better, no it just means I was able to pick that up easier than someone else.)

Anyways, thats just my 2c. Let the people that feel like playing the GAME play it, just because they feel like playing a simulation of something does not mean that they are any less of a person.

You post flamebait, expect to flamed.

Fisher Price toy vs. The greatest looking game ever made so far.

just because he posted a thread that can be interpretted as flame bait does NOT mean you are allowed to flame him... Encouraging flaming is against the rules too i believe (maybe its an unwritten one... )

Just warning you...

im in guitar class in highschool... its okay, but not as fun as guitar hero while learning... guitar hero you are "playing" what you want, when you want, regardless of skill, and thats where the attraction comes from.

i think the subject of this thread is merely a little joke , especially because there is a lot of crysis thread lately.

But for the people who said ''learn real guitar'' are those hardcore guitar player who thinks its a crime to ''mimic'' playing guitar. But i have to ask to those people... why a lot of very popular musician love this games?

Does my question answer itself?

why a lot of very popular musician love this games?

It's the only game they can win? :)

Anyway, for me the most fun playing guitar is jamming, improvising and composing your own stuff. Being creative with sound.
These games may be fun (I don't know, never tried) and there is nothing wrong with that, but I can see how many guitarists don't relate them to what guitar playing is to them, and may even be upset by people who think they can play guitar because they can play this game.

It's the only game they can win? :)

Anyway, for me the most fun playing guitar is jamming, improvising and composing your own stuff. Being creative with sound.
These games may be fun (I don't know, never tried) and there is nothing wrong with that, but I can see how many guitarists don't relate them to what guitar playing is to them, and may even be upset by people who think they can play guitar because they can play this game.

all the OP said was that he liked the game. Nothing about being able to play guitar irl.

But i have to ask to those people... why a lot of very popular musician love this games?

Because they are lip syncers?

I guess if you can play Guitar Hero you at least have as much musical talent as half the pop bands out there, and more than the boy bands, Milli Vanilli, Ashlee Simpson, etc.

I had considered playing guitar earlier in my life. Then I realized that I'm tone deaf, so I don't see much point in learning a real guitar. I'll stick with drums. While I can't tune them, I can play them. :p It's just a game guys, sheesh.

A poster said a word which completely makes sense of both sides of the "REAL" or "FAKE" guitar argument/flame/discussion/whatever.....but since its on the other page and many dont read thru the pages, I will repeat.....

GH1,2,3 are all Guitar playing "SIMULATIONS". The game even takes the simulation a step further and gives you a "guitar shaped" guitar (albeit a weak one) to play AS A SIMULATED Band member, to which, once you advance far enough, you get to rock on stage (or something to that matter).

To compare "simulations"......

Flight simulator games. What do they simulate? Flying a plane....be it your trying to shoot down other planes or your just out crusing the air, the bare bones POINT to it is, it SIMULATES flying.

Why do people buy a flight simulator game? Cause, for most of us who would LIKE to BE ABLE to fly but CANT due to the cost and possible DEATH, the next best thing is to load up a flight simulator and go cruising.

I dont think not one person here who is on the other side of the coin said ANYTHING about GH1.2.3 not being fun. By all means, play the GH and have some fun, again, not one person said DONT DO IT......we merely stated that IF you want to play a guitar....play a REAL ONE.

Anyone who says they tried but just couldnt pick up the HOW TO play a guitar, simply didnt try hard enough........which in turn, was MY POINT in my original post on the first page.....

These people can spend HOURS upon HOURS....WEEK upon WEEK after WEEK spending MORE HOURS learning HOW TO BE GOOD AT A GAME...such as GH could be playing a REAL guitar....Why play a simulation when the REAL THING costs just as much if not cheaper.....Hell, I bought my 3yr old daughter a kids REAL guitar and once tuned, it plays and sounds great. Kinda odd feeling for me to spew off riffs from Slayer on a kids little guitar, but ITS A REAL one nontheless and cost me about 20 bucks....

I would be willing to bet that IF flying a plane was as easy as going out my front door and instead of hopping into my truck in my driveway, I could hop into my plane and take off down the street......there would be wayyyyyyyy fewer flight simulators out there.....Now that I mention it......I dont know of ONE SINGLE car simulator out there at all......Im not talkin about some racing game, cause, well, thats racing. Im talkin bout a driving simulator. Im talkin bout lookin at the dashboard to see if my oil pressure is too high/too low. Ohh, its raining...better turn on the windshield wipers. Oh, im almost outta gas...better find a gas station...BUT WAIT.......I dont want any ol gas station...I want a SHELL gas station.....Oh damn.....is that a flat tire??????

Understand the difference???

Understand the difference???

Now that you've explained it I do!

Guitar Hero:

A guitar simulation where instead of a stringed instrument which has (commonly) 6 strings and frets, and to play the instrument you press a string against a fret which changes the vibrating length of the string and therefore its resultant pitch. (The pitch of each consecutive fret is defined at a half-step interval on the chromatic scale) you press five buttons each a different colour, and press a button either down or up to actually activate that button press at the correct time.

Microsoft Flight Simulator:

Meticulously recreates multiple airplane cockpits where each dial, knob, button and lever presented on screen which influences how the virtual plane reacts as it would in real life.

Both sound like simulations to me! :D

To tell you the truth guitar hero isn't even a real simulator at that. I've seen real guitar simulators at the guitar centers before and they look just like a guitar but with a computer and all that on the other side just emulating sounds and all that through hardware and software. Guitar hero is no different than http://www.fisher-price.com/us/products/product.asp?id=41380

like what others were saying in this thread. Its a fun guitar game but i wouldn't even call it a guitar simulator at all. It doesn't even have strings or frets like your saying it does. Just 5 buttons and a switch in middle. Mainly just a guitar look alike but nothing other than that thats really related. Lets just say its a game with a controller. If you think guitar hero is a real simulator then you haven't played a real guitar thats for sure lol

Ok so I bought GH3 for the 360 and its fantastic - I had GH2 already so I didn't get the controller. I get home and play about 20 songs through expert and then I notice that my guitar is dying. Here's what it does... I strum down and it'll strum twice, it's like the switch inside the strummer is shot due to being used so much. So the rest of the guitar is absolutly fine and I don't have money to go out buying a $40 or $50 controller..

Can I repair this thing? Would microsoft repair it - never been abused, just used under heavy conditions... damnit, I'm pissed.

Ok so I bought GH3 for the 360 and its fantastic - I had GH2 already so I didn't get the controller. I get home and play about 20 songs through expert and then I notice that my guitar is dying. Here's what it does... I strum down and it'll strum twice, it's like the switch inside the strummer is shot due to being used so much. So the rest of the guitar is absolutly fine and I don't have money to go out buying a $40 or $50 controller..

Can I repair this thing? Would microsoft repair it - never been abused, just used under heavy conditions... damnit, I'm pissed.

Switches can't last forever like anything especially when used a lot like the clicker of a mouse. Since its your old controller you might just have to get a new one :)

Switches can't last forever like anything especially when used a lot like the clicker of a mouse. Since its your old controller you might just have to get a new one :)

That comment does nothing for me as I've stated I don't have the dinero to get a new one. And your logic is screwed on the sense that my mouse has lasted 5+ years without any problems and this I've had for 8 months and it's crapped out.

Anyhow - Are there replacement switches so I can pop this thing open and switch the switch out? $40 for a new one or however much they are is not an option.

lol not sure, as for mouses, fatal1ty mouses suck is all i got to say ;). Not sure what kind of switch it uses. Possibly you can open it you might be able to find something at the electronics store but most likely from this standpoint right now. Try to find a cheap or broken one on ebay and fix yours with it or just find a used one some how :)

A lot of thread crappers about a video game, as to be expected...

When a real guitar keeps score, and allows you to play your buddy on the internet, let me know and I will give you the time of day. Otherwise don't bother, because Guitar Hero is so simple, even I can do it...(sarcasm)..

That being said, not as impressed with Guitar Hero III, the songs are more bland to play than expected. I think they spent more time trying to make the graphics pretty then coming up with fret sequences... oh well.

A lot of thread crappers about a video game, as to be expected...

When a real guitar keeps score, and allows you to play your buddy on the internet, let me know and I will give you the time of day. Otherwise don't bother, because Guitar Hero is so simple, even I can do it...(sarcasm)..

That being said, not as impressed with Guitar Hero III, the songs are more bland to play than expected. I think they spent more time trying to make the graphics pretty then coming up with fret sequences... oh well.

Thats actually a pretty damn good idea (not sarcasim).

I use Playpro Interactive Guitar on my computer...I basically plug right into it and play thru lessons.....

It (i wouldnt think) wouldnt be too difficult to make a GH game using a real guitar....Just plug in and go thru lessons and score points for accuracy. The game gives you bits and pieces (bars) of actual notes from a given band. As you go thru the lessons and memorize them, it gives you more notes, further unlocking the song. After going thru different levels....to advance, you have to play the whole song.

The songs would start out easy of course.....probably some Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden as these songs use a basic chord progression and only a handfull of chords.

It wouldnt have to cost much either. Basic game costs of average $45 bucks plus an adapter.....Assuming you have a real guitar, heh.

Now THAT would be a GH I would buy...

That comment does nothing for me as I've stated I don't have the dinero to get a new one. And your logic is screwed on the sense that my mouse has lasted 5+ years without any problems and this I've had for 8 months and it's crapped out.

Anyhow - Are there replacement switches so I can pop this thing open and switch the switch out? $40 for a new one or however much they are is not an option.

call up red octane and tell them the strum bar on the explorer is broken and see what they can do for you.

I should be getting mine tonight when I get home. Hopefully I will not have any problems with it as I would hate to have to send it back to RedOctane, get replacement, etc. RMA's are just a bitch in general.

i think you'll be good. :) try not to play through it all in one sitting... just kidding, do it.

My hands are so tired. lol:(

I finally got stuck on a song, Cult of Personality, at least for a little while. The song is cake except for the solo, which just has a shit-ton of notes. I beat it no problem once I figured out how to turn on hyperspeed. (Hyperspeed makes the notes scroll by faster, but with less notes on the screen at a time. It makes it a lot easier to read when there are 100 notes on the screen. ;))

Lou is going down.

i've heard of the hyper speed thing... how do you crank it up? i went into speed but only seen normal, slow, slower, and slowest

i've heard of the hyper speed thing... how do you crank it up? i went into speed but only seen normal, slow, slower, and slowest

at the main menu, strum orange blue orange yellow orange blue orange yellow

Just beat Through The Fire and Flame on expert.

i almost cried after :eek:

at the main menu, strum orange blue orange yellow orange blue orange yellow

It's not in the main menu in this version, you go to options then cheats, select enter cheat and then when the guitar looking thing comes up strum the notes that 0mega listed. I like how in this version you can actually select the speed you want. At least that's how I did it.:confused:

I am finally to Lou. One was really easy, with the exception of the solo, although with star power and random hitting buttons and double strumming I got through it ok.;) Cliffs of Dover wasn't too bad, it is probably one of my favorite songs to play. Number of the beast took a couple tries, but isn't too bad. Raining Blood is insane. It took me several tries to get down the timing of the "Mosh 1 " section, but once I did it was pretty easy and I can get through the section now without star power. I had more trouble with all the chords than with the "Mosh 1" section, go figure. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out this vid. :D

thanks for that omega i'll try it here when I get off work.

Hyperspeed speeds it up but spaces them out more, I like it better...

The arguement to play a real guitar instead of Guitar Hero is fucking stupid.

Has anyone told you to go shoot people and join the army instead of playing Counter Strike or Unreal Tournament? Go try out for the Varsity/College/Pro football team near you instead of playing NCAA/Madden football? How about playing for Manchester United instead of playing FIFA? Go to a club instead of playing DDR? Go find an underwater utopia and kill a bunch of genetically modified fuckers instead of playing Bioshock? Go street racing instead of playing NFS:Underground, or start driving for Childress Racing instead of playing NASCAR 2007?

The "go play a real guitar" arguement is so fucking overused and retarded I don't even know why I respond to it.

Back