Forget a smartwatch

Neat concept, but just because it looks cool doesn't mean it works well in practice. It's a crowdfunded project -- it's easy to promise the moon when you don't really have a finished product. I'm reminded of those laser projection keyboards that look cool in photos, but are pretty flaky in reality.

I'm all for crowdfunding when there's at least some benefit (ie you get the item at a massively lower price than normal etc..) but they're pretty much just saying "Hey, yeah... just give us 700,000 Euro to prototype". As Aurelius mentions, it may be one of those "looks cool, doesn't work great" setups, but we won't see until much later. There have been strides made in projectors and sensors, so maybe it will work as it is supposed to do so. I do kind of wish they'd include a microphone at least, if not a speaker. It would be nice if it could be used as an Android Wear device as well as a "second screen" for your full Android device, too.

Maybe they'll take suggestions at this point of development. They already have a chat app (in Beta, on Google Store) which is privacy focused, but unless it is made free and open source I don't see any reason to trust it for privacy/security. I guess this was their first product and the bracelet is the new hardware. I'd donate them a single dollar/euro or two on principle if they can bring it to fruition, but just taking donations without promising the users anything seems more than a bit worrisome in this sort of context.

Back