Foreward and Back arrows quit responding - weird link showing up

Iowabucks

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone, i've got a minor problem here but would like to know whats going on if anybody has ever seen anything like this.

I have a new build with a 2 week old install of Win7 Pro running IE9 for the browser. I always keep my computer clean and scanned weekly.

Once in a while when using the forward or back arrows at the top of the browser, they become unresponsive. I can hover over the buttons and see this show up as a link.- "back to http://s=static.ak.facebook.com/connect/xd_arbiter.php?version=10(alt+left)" Any clicking of the buttons just does nothing.

Does facebook have some sort of weird control over these buttons for some reason from time to time?

I wouldn't think it was a trojan or anything like that. I run Maleware Bytes and MSE quite often.

Anyone seen anything like this or have an idea how to get rid of it?

If you are referring to my keyboard, it's about 3 years old. Ideazon Z-Merc. And i did install the driver for that.

Yes. I recommend testing out another keyboard since you're Windows installation is fairly new.

What would the keyboard have to do with it? I'm talking about when using the forward and back buttons at the top of the IE9 browser.

What would the keyboard have to do with it? I'm talking about when using the forward and back buttons at the top of the IE9 browser.

Err... :eek: That was completely a showing of chaotic confusion on my part.

Anyways... get Autoruns from Sysinternals. Check through all of the sections to see if anything looks off to you.

Never used autoruns before. I did run it but don't know what i'm even looking for.

Utilize the CLI version & post what's in the list.txt. I don't think it will have any PII but if so, delete that before you post.

autorunsc -m -a > list.txt

Seems something some web pages (typically advertisements) do, basically spams your browser history with tons of the same links basically so you experience the problem you're experiencing, you just can't leave.

Seems something some web pages (typically advertisements) do, basically spams your browser history with tons of the same links basically so you experience the problem you're experiencing, you just can't leave.

this.
click on the down arrow just to the right of the forward button.
you'll see numerous ad links in the history.

you might see something like this, which was taken ~15 seconds after pulling up the xda-developers forum:
40324523.png

I was thinking maybe some malware was in the system. Since I don't deal with ads much, I didn't even think about such possibilities. I hope the OP can get some closure with any of the advice. I may have been way off... :confused:

this.
click on the down arrow just to the right of the forward button.
you'll see numerous ad links in the history.

you might see something like this, which was taken ~15 seconds after pulling up the xda-developers forum:
IE9 doesn't have the down arrow at all. But it does sound about right. I did a scan with Malwarebytes and MSE after updating and only came up with a Pup.bundle.Installer.ol which sounds like a typical installer from any number of downloads i have gotten recently. It may or may not be actual adware/malware but they are usually spread by bundler programs, so i deleted it. Doesn't sound like they would be connected, but it goes to show you how easy malware can be spread.

j-sta --- does the ad links in your history cause the forward and back buttons to become unresponsive? I have found that usually 3 click in either direction will take me a few pages from where i started. It's just a pain in the butt knowing it's there, but i could live with it if i had to.

right click the back/forward area and it's not unresponsive you're having to go back through multiples of the same link to get back to something real

IE9 doesn't have the down arrow at all. But it does sound about right. I did a scan with Malwarebytes and MSE after updating and only came up with a Pup.bundle.Installer.ol which sounds like a typical installer from any number of downloads i have gotten recently. It may or may not be actual adware/malware but they are usually spread by bundler programs, so i deleted it. Doesn't sound like they would be connected, but it goes to show you how easy malware can be spread.

j-sta --- does the ad links in your history cause the forward and back buttons to become unresponsive? I have found that usually 3 click in either direction will take me a few pages from where i started. It's just a pain in the butt knowing it's there, but i could live with it if i had to.

that screen shot is from my Win7x64 machine with IE9 at work. It does have the drop-down. So does another one of my Win7 machines with IE9.
Although my home machine does not have the drop-down menu, iirc.
Not sure why why it differs :confused:
and yes, those ad links in the history affect the back and forward buttons.
Do a right-click on the back or forward button as -Dragon- posted \/

right click the back/forward area and it's not unresponsive you're having to go back through multiples of the same link to get back to something real

Use another browser with an ad blocker addon of some sort OR find an ad blocker app that works with IE.

Back