FORE ES-2810 (StackView)

ppandemic

Gawd
StackView is an older program and is very hard to find... I can NOT find it. period.
It is a program that uses SNMP to manage the FORE switch.
I think it is called ForeView now? :confused:

maybe one of you have the software for this wonderful switch, I would love to play with spanning tree, etc..

*grumbles* I can't wait to get my new CISCO lab :D

I am looking for the software for these as well also I was trying to figure out if these are managed switches.

I got this switch given to me from an IT guy, and promptly got frustrated that I couldn't find ANY damn software with wich to configure it.

The local serial terminal port is only useful for the basic configuration of the router IP, factory restoration, time, day, passwords etc... but not VPN or other port assignments and all the REAL managing stuff..

I spent two days searching all of the internets and found nothing but the same questions as I was asking. Apparently, the original FORE StackView software no longer exists, as no one has claimed to have it on all the nerd forums I looked at.

Then, something funny happend: with a couple of hints from a former user of this switch(a pro IT guy), I finally found a way!

You need to get "Intel DeviceView (for windows)2.1.17, which is available around the webs as an installer EXE. This is the software intended for Intel's version of this switch (the 510T). install it, but do't bother to run it just yet...

Then you need to create an INI file which will allow this software to detect and configure this switch via it's native SNMP features. I will include the text from the INI here, as it's key to making everything work.

The only thing that won't be as-per is the visual picture of the switch and the drag'n'drop goodness that goes therewith. Oh well!

Take the INI file text from here, put it into a new file and call that file "ES2810.INI
Put ES2810.INI into the " C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Device View\ini " folder(default location)

It's not pretty, but it worked, as all of this text, except for the MIB number, came from select other INI files which were supplied with DeviceView.

*********ES2810.INI text cut from the next line**************

[1.3.6.1.4.1.326.2.10.1]
; Fore ES-2810
DeviceType=Fore ES-2810
DeviceClass=Switches
DeviceManager=IDV5S03.DLL
LaunchWith=_Win_Device Manager,_Web_Device Manager
_Win_Device Manager=devmgr:
_Web_Device Manager=http:uniocx_sw500.htm?+%oid%+%ip%
RecoveryModes=4 ;(RebootFW)
PBA=0x680198,0x713644
IconFile=ini\switch.bmp
Firmware=ES2810_2.76
FirmwareMask=ES2810_*.*
Capabilities=47 ;(SNMP|RMON|Telnet|TFTP|VLAN1)
FactoryDefaultReadWriteComm=public
Manufacturer=FORE Systems

**********cut from above this line*************

Enjoy these oldy-yet-goody switches, and all their VPN goodness!
I've got mine set up to monitor my internet traffic(public side), as well as individual user traffic(private side) .

i had the software
i think maybe 3-6months ago another user found one of my posts on this forum (from searching) and asked if i had a copy. i did (at the time) and sent it to him, but have since deleted it.
doh, -- ill keep looking to see if i can find another copy for you.

edit: just checked - i deleted my PMs so im not even sure who the original guy was that i sent it to (im sure he still has it)

I still have a bunch of 2810s in production, the only info I ever find on the Internet is people asking for stackview. Since I have it, I might as well hand it out.

email me at jeffjakubowski at gmail com

the file is about 18MB and includes firmware, MIBs and manuals.

On these switches, the serial port is of limited use, the real configuration must be done via stackview or SNMP.

Edit as of 10-2012:

I still occasionally get a request for stackview, but here is the deal... The 2810 is 15 years old. If you're buying one of these off ebay or something just to learn some non-cisco device, please save your money and get literally anything else. The 2810 doesn't support VLAN tagging, or do proper multicast, or a bunch of other features that have been standard on managed switches for a decade. If you've got one in production, for gods sake replace it, unless it's part of some legacy network that uses ATM. Then perhaps there is a reason to still have the thing, but you should really be placing your energy to upgrading to something newer.

Last edited:
Back