Ford Car That Prevents You From Speeding

Considering how many insanely fast cars Ford is building I find this slightly ironic.

Also, as some others mentioned the thought of someone spoofing the speed limit signs could prove to make this sort of thing REALLY dangerous.

They are trying to appeal to everyone, and unfortunately that means that they are also pandering to irrational security moms. This is a Europe only option where there would be greater appeal due to serious camera based speed enforcement.

Doesn't BMW already offer this?

I like it. Going faster than the speed limit is almost always bad for safety, fuel efficiency and legal reasons.

That depends on how the vehicle is geared and how the engine is designed.

In my 1976 280z, the best fuel mileage I ever got was when I was going driving cross country and was tuning it for fuel efficiency whenever I made a stop to fuel up.

The last stretch I got 29.3mpg and was doing 75-85 the whole way.

Tuned for performance, I would get around 27mpg mixed city/highway driving.

Oh, and for those of you that are not into cars... all this emissions equipment greatly reduces the performance and efficiency of engines.

But the EPA has to stick their nose in everything and inevitably screw up whatever they touch.

Considering how many insanely fast cars Ford is building I find this slightly ironic.

Also, as some others mentioned the thought of someone spoofing the speed limit signs could prove to make this sort of thing REALLY dangerous.

Yep, unless they replace every single car on the road with ones that have this "tech", it will end up leading to a large number of "accidents".

I expect to see Ford sued for every single accident that is caused by this stupid idea.

Auto braking vehicles... bad, bad, bad, bad idea.

I should point out that there was not and is not a "National Speed Limit" in the US. Speeds on highways and Interstates are set by individual states, *not* the federal government. What happens is that the Feds tell the states to, say, set the speed limit on Interstates at 55 MPH or lose their federal highway funding, and like magic the states comply (this is the same as why most states have a drinking age of 21 years old).

But the bottom line here is that the Feds are not directly setting the speed limits -- states are.

They ditched all that BS in 95 or thereabouts. There was some comical non-compliance measures by many states prior to.

It's really amazing more people don't kill themselves and others, it's a credit to the high tech hand-holding modern cars are able to do I guess.
The tech helps. Stability and traction control. Modern crash safety standards. Modern tires, steering, etc.. The other thing that helps is the fact most of us are are reasonably decent drivers. It's a minority that can't handle it and cause enough damage to make it seem worse than it is.

I'm not a proponent of driving like an idiot in traffic. However if I want to be able to step on it in a supercharged car and go through a couple gears on some deserted road outside of town I am not a fan of technology forcing me not to. Life is too short to let the safety nanny ruin all the fun.

Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."

What if I need to speed up to save my life? .... I just fucking die then? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't buy a post 1970 Ford anyway, but still. :eek:

I wouldn't buy a post 1970 Ford anyway, but still. :eek:

I'm not into Fords at all (well, my dad's friend makes hot-rod Model As that are nice) but as a whole, not interested. This car wouldn't even cross my radar. My only thought on it though is that I hope it doesn't kick off a wider-spread trend. This is bad on many levels.

Ever car already has this feature, it's called cruise control. I guess using your brain while driving isn't popular anymore.. ?

This feature is nothing like cruise control.

Cruise control holds a speed with your foot off the pedal. If you push down on the gas, you get immediate response but once you accel a couple MPH beyond the set point it disengages and it will not auto hold speed anymore. There is no override of what you are asking the car to do at all. Only a disengage of the system.

THIS new system will stop you from accelerating past the speed limit, UNLESS you push HARDER on the gas. That's just dangerous as hell since there will be this "WTF is going on" moment where the car tries to STOP accelerating when it hits what it thinks is the speed limit.

I have a massive problem with anything that requires pushing on the gas MORE to override anything.

Oh, and for those of you that are not into cars... all this emissions equipment greatly reduces the performance and efficiency of engines.

But the EPA has to stick their nose in everything and inevitably screw up whatever they touch.

Yes, some emissions related equipment like catalytic converters do decrease performance, they also fantastically reduce the harmfulness of exhaust gases. Other emissions related equipment like the (EVAP) gas vapor capture system doesn't have any impact on performance.

We're all stuck here together, let's try not to ruin the planet any faster than necessary eh?

WRONG! These are not security cameras. These are money making machines. Just get that right at the start.

Thanks but no thanks. I will take a walk instead driving in such evil contraption.

Back