Forcing Refresh Rates (higher) safe?

Moofasa~

[H]ard|Gawd
My moniter isn't the "best" moniter ever, at 1280 x 960 it only has 60hz refresh rate. And since I have a 9800 Pro, I constantly get tearing because my fps and refresh rates aren't in sync. Now yes I can turn vsync on, and everything works, but I would rather not (I get some performance issues and white websites/backgrounds still get tearing). I was wondering if I force the refresh rate to 85 (or maybe 100 depending), would my moniter blow up (or something like that)? Thanks in advance...

-MoOfAsA~

i would think it would be bad ! if the monitor doesn't support the refresh rate your throwing at it, I'de think you could blow it?

Unadviseable to try and push refresh rates higher than your monitors specified, although unless you have your correct monitor drivers installed it wont list what resolutions and refresh rates its capable of correctly.

Make sure whats the max your monitor can handle, check the manufacturers website or whatever, and run at that. If its too low then get a new monitor, unless its a tft 1280 960 at 60hz is pretty terrible.

My lovely Iiyama monitor can manage 75Hz @ 2048 1536, a prefered gaming resolution of mine :)

I thought the monitor would just go into sleep mode if it is an incompatable signal. But I think you should be able to use it at 85hz okay. Just try it the worse that I have happen to me was the monitor went into standby and I had to alt+tab my way back to windows

It is possible to "overclock" the monitor to 72hz (maybe). If it doesn't work either the monitor will say invalid signal type and shut off or start smoking. If you want to eliminate tearing entirely, you must turn on Vsync. Even with 160hz tearing still happens with it off.

(I get some performance issues and white websites/backgrounds still get tearing).

Don't forget. 2D and 3D mode are different. 2D mode in windows uses a different mode within DirectX with Vsync off by default and no way to change it. If you need to get Vsync for viewing webpages take it up with Microsoft. I'm sure the answer is buried in the billions of pointless help pages on the Microsoft site.

Back