Forcing hard drive to stay off while its in backpack

Patman

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there any good utilities to force my hard drive to stay off while its in my backpack between classes to prevent damage? I need it to stay on so it can keep folding in between class and my dorm where it charges =).

even if it was possible, having your cpu at 100% while in your backpack will burn up your laptop very fast. a backpack offers no ventilation and a processor at full load puts out a ton of heat

Hibernate mode is a little better for longer term carrying because it uses the HDD to dump data as opposed to sleep mode using the RAM

if you're carrying it for a while I would say hibernate or turn that sucker off completly

EDIT: whoah, folding in a backpack is [H]ard :D

its like a 5-10 minute walk to class and its so cold down here heat isn't an issue. the tk-53 dosen't produce much if any heat.But i'll be damned if thats 5-10 minutes I'm not folding on that laptop. thats 30-60 minutes a week of down time!

The client only writes to the hard drive once every 15 minutes, optionally 30, so I can afford to force it off during this time, even then I don't think the write would take much more than the drive's cache.

Anybody have anything to offer?

set it up so when the screen is closed, the laptoip does not enter sleep, stand by, hibernate, etc. just keep it as is with the screen closed. it's in power options

right but thats less than good for the hard drive. I know toshiba has something with their drive that senses up downs left and right and moves the heads off the platters accordingly, i could do with a similar utility. or if someone wants to donate a SSD drive =)

its like a 5-10 minute walk to class and its so cold down here heat isn't an issue. the tk-53 dosen't produce much if any heat.But i'll be damned if thats 5-10 minutes I'm not folding on that laptop. thats 30-60 minutes a week of down time!

The client only writes to the hard drive once every 15 minutes, optionally 30, so I can afford to force it off during this time, even then I don't think the write would take much more than the drive's cache.

Anybody have anything to offer?
I've had my TL-50 up to 100*C.

nice stuff, mine folds 24/7 fully loaded ontop of my mini fridge and it never revs up the fan even. Bottom of laptop is warm at best to touch. I had a gateway p4m that got waaay hotter.

hardwire an external power switch ... that will give you that added 5-10min of harddriveless folding during the walk ;)

Orrr, you could realize that it's really not that serious, and be nice to your notebook and have it last a little longer, instead of letting it "take one for the team" lol.

Orrr, you could realize that it's really not that serious, and be nice to your notebook and have it last a little longer, instead of letting it "take one for the team" lol.

You sir obviously don't fold.

If he has some one in his rear view that is about to overtake him, he wants every WU that he can get.

Patman, I bet you HHD doesn't do much R/W while your lugging it around and most mobile drives keep their arm off the surface when not actively R/W. I'm not sure how worried I'd be. Keep a back up of school docs, and new HDD are sooo much less now than just a few years ago on the off chance that it does go bad. Just don't defrag while your on your way to your next class.:D

Power options, harddrive inactivity, set to turn off in 1min. Its not hard.. .that way 9 minutes of the 10 minute walk its off. don't understand why this was so hard.

Weak.

Fold until it fries.
Replace, fold, fry, repeat.

This is [H] not Tom's.
We don't coddle our [H]ardware here. :p

Power options, harddrive inactivity, set to turn off in 1min. Its not hard.. .that way 9 minutes of the 10 minute walk its off. don't understand why this was so hard.

Thats my solution right now however I think it spins back up if windows decides to do something. I'd rather force it off and let it freak out until I let it back on, or ideally have software monitoring the head position but I think I'm just going to let it run its course and hope it lasts until I can pickup a cheaper SSD drive.

Yeah that is your best bet. The OS may flip out to the point of shutting down if you try to disable the drive when it tries to read it.

Back