Forcing a failed Win7 install to continue?

Joined
Feb 2, 2010
Messages
22
Hey chaps, long story short, I cocked up the installation of my new mobo somehow, and it wouldn't let me boot my HDD with XP on it, so after trying the usual, I decided to just run my upgrade to Windows 7 now(was planning to wait to buy a newer HDD)and get my old files out of the Windows.old folder.

Well, problem. The install hung on "Completing Installation..." for over two hours, then the machine shut down, I've no idea why. Now, when I attempt to boot from the HDD and continue, I get the "Setup is starting services" screen, then a popup box with "The computer restarted unexpectedly. Windows cannot proceed with the installation.". I can't run the install again, because the first run had obviously already put all the files on the HDD, it now only has 1.1gigs free.

So, is my only option to format the drive and lose my files, or is there a way to force the installation to continue from where it left off?

Hardware is;
AMD PhenomII x4 995 Black
MSI 870-C45 mobo
4gigs Mushkin Silverline RAM
Gainward 9600GT
Old 80gig 7200rpm SATA drive

Everything else was stripped out, no USB devices are plugged in.
 
you will need to reinstall, there is no way around this error. To backup your files. boot from the setup cd, hit shift+f10 to bring up the command prompt and then copy your files to a flash drive or something. Then after that you can blow everything away and reinstall.
 
Try changing the acpi setting in the bios, this has helped with some dell systems at work.....

You can also try the disk setting, can't remember the actual one that makes the difference though?
 
Thanks for answering chaps, I ended up borrowing a hard drive and XP disc off my neighbour, got my important files off my drive, then DBAN'd it and did a fresh install of XP. I'll hold off on 7 until I have the new drive and a DX11 graphics card.
 
Back
Top