Forceware 97.46 for Vista RTM

These have been around for days now... but thanks for posting 'em anyway.

<EDIT>

Read the release notes... lol they might as well just put bold text in the .PDF saying "Almost everything is broken" instead of the big long list of issues. Seriously, it's rediculous. :p

The nVidia software development team must be having a hell of a time prepping for Vista.

</EDIT>

Non-beta version driver for x86 and x64 is out. Rejoice!

Now maybe I can play some games without crashing...

Don't count on it. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that every game that caused my monitor to scramble uncontrollably in vista with the last set of drivers will still do the same thing with these. How they can get WHQL certs with drivers that cause this to happen is beyond me. These guys now even have creative labs beat as the company that most drags their feet on driver releases for a new OS. Quite the accomplishment there nvidia. Way to go guys! :D

wtf?, wtf?, wtf?, come on Nvidia. New drivers for Vista RTM, and no SLI?, my god thats stupid, why even release them?

Nvidia USED to be great with driver update/releases, but now?, they got our money!, thats why....

wtf?, wtf?, wtf?, come on Nvidia. New drivers for Vista RTM, and no SLI?, my god thats stupid, why even release them?

Nvidia USED to be great with driver update/releases, but now?, they got our money!, thats why....

Vista isn't out yet. In case you didn't notice. If it's still an issue come the end of January, then we'll have something to bitch about.

Don't bother with this 'driver'. I tried every possible way to install it on my vista machine and no joy. It keeps telling me that there are files missing in the package. Downloaded it twice from nvidia just to make sure it wasn't corrupt. Way to go again guys. Worst.Drivers.Ever.

error.jpg

Those worked. Thanks for the idea! I can't for the life of me understand why nvidia's QA has become so poor. It's almost like they put these things up on the web and don't even check to see if they work. Same old problem for me where games cause my monitor to scramble and the pc to have to be reset. If i hit the power switch on the pc the display comes right back to normal before it reboots but that is the only way to get the display to return from scramble mode. Running ntune and trying to o/c the card does the same thing when testing the frequencies. All of these things work fine in xp. I have tried 2 different monitors as well and both scramble when running any 3d type apps (most of the time). These drivers=the suck.

I can't get these to work, even the English_UK version. I'm using Vista RTM x64 and a 7800GTX.

I going to bite my tongue about all the vista driver bitchers, but if in january people are still having problems then they can bitch all they want

Ummm id say you got your point across by calling us all vista bitchers....

i usually dont feed trolls but in this case i couldnt resist :)

I going to bite my tongue about all the vista driver bitchers, but if in january people are still having problems then they can bitch all they want

Umm like, it's a good thing January isn't here yet then... eeeehm....

On the bright side, the calendar in Windows Vista is so easy even a n00blet could use it! :p :D

I was actualy kinda joking, there was a post saying there was no reason to complain when infact it is january and we have EVERY reason to complain. I know I don't make much sense sometimes

I found another thread on the net where some guy is getting the same thing as me with the horizontal wavy blue and green lines whenever the card switches 2d to 3d or vice versa. He also was using a 7900gt. My dad does not get this in vista on the same driver with his 7950gx2. If they would ever release an 8800 driver then i could test my other machine...

Well i am hoping that these aren't what they would consider final drivers. They are certified and are not beta drivers so....

I can't do anything with the 7900 now as it is. I've tried reinstalls, different monitors, different drivers, disabling hardware and still the blue and green lines on mode changes so it is definitely not user error in this case. :) This is like dealing with the ATI of yonder years, sheeesh.

I believe the reason the drivers are crap is because they are not the real vista drivers.
I don't think nVidia ever expected Vista to be released without DX10. Now that it has, they had to kludge together a stopgap driver for this condition.
I don't think they spent much time making it, and it makes sense to me that they didn't. The true test is going to be what the driver looks like when 9.0L and 10 are released.

What do you mean no DX10? :confused:
The box I have running Vista Business from my Technet subscription has DX10 and it must have 9.0L since it has no issues running a basic DX9 game at low resolution. It only has a 9800Pro so I can't test anything extensive.

What do you mean no DX10? :confused:
The box I have running Vista Business from my Technet subscription has DX10 and it must have 9.0L since it has no issues running a basic DX9 game at low resolution. It only has a 9800Pro so I can't test anything extensive.

You're right. I guess I overlooked that it shipped with Vista Business.
Now the question is who has DX10 and a DX10 card, and is there any improvement?

Sadly this we won't know until Jan 30th or around then, since nVidia hasn't released Vista drivers for the 8800 series. That's an entirely different topic though with about fifty million threads dedicated to it though. :p

well, of course there won't be any improvement. You need a DX10 game to get DX10 features. It isn't magic. And there are no DX10 games. (And NO, Flight Sim X is NOT a DX10 game, and won't be until they release the patch that includes DX10 support.)

edit - As for install problems, I see it here, too. But I get an error message about Age Of Empires II update v2.0a not being compatible with Vista, heh.

edit2 - Ah yes, and as for games crashing in Vista, when it is a lockup in the video driver, if you wait *patiently* then Vista will usually be able to kill the app on its own and restart the video driver and you won't have to reboot and nothing else running should be affected. It does take a while for this to occur, usually. And this is one situation where a dual core CPU is your friend.

did i hear correctly, there isn't a vista rtm x86 driver for my 8800? what do i do now

wait until there is? It hasn't even been released to the general public yet, so there's not much reason to have released a driver for it yet. Only businesses have access to it until the end of the month. Patience.

i have a copy of the rtm final version, but it does not come with the driver either.

I thought these drivers had the nvidia control panel?, I just instelled these (Vista x64), and no control panel.

Learn to follow a conversion, clearly I was talking about the post immediately previous to mine. This one:
I thought these drivers had the nvidia control panel?, I just instelled these (Vista x64), and no control panel.

hmm, x86 has it, haven't checked x64 yet though.

does it? i got x86 installed and see no control panel anywhere. i've installed the drivers twice now, and they aren't even in the add/remove programs. plus when i go to the display advanced settings it still says its a MS driver...lol. least i can still play steam games...although its slower than xp. here's hoping they work out the kinks before the 30th otherwise i'm goin back to xp.

sounds to me like you're using the US English release of the drivers. If you'd been paying attention to what the installer says you would have noticed that it said it didn't install the drivers and it made no changes to your system. Download the International (UK?) version instead. Those *actually* install. Someone screwed up with the US installer apparently.
does it? i got x86 installed and see no control panel anywhere. i've installed the drivers twice now, and they aren't even in the add/remove programs. plus when i go to the display advanced settings it still says its a MS driver...lol. least i can still play steam games...although its slower than xp. here's hoping they work out the kinks before the 30th otherwise i'm goin back to xp.

driverversion.jpg

That is what I have installed... quake3 gets past the opengl check but freezes at the intro? hmm

strange, though I haven't tried quake3. I have played the old DoD and CS games in opengl mode without issue, though. I've got quake3 here, if I get the chance later after work I'll install it and let you know if it does the same thing for me here. In the meantime, try adding a +disconnect to the end of your shortcut's command line to skip the intro and go right to the main menu.

The nVidia software development team must be having a hell of a time prepping for Vista.

I would hate that job for that sole reason. Almost seems like trial and error when it comes to rebuilding a Vista compatible driver set! To think they spent all this time with XP and just recently got up to the 97 series, now they must rewrite their entire architecture!

Back