Forceware 258.96 Cause Overheating

Unknown-One

[H]F Junkie
It appears Forceware version 258.96 has some serious issues regarding automatic fan speed adjustment. They actually brought the fan on my GTX260 to a full stop, causing its temperature to reach 90c.

The only thing that brought this silent problem to my attention was reaching behind my case to plug in a USB cable. I burned my hand on the GTX260's vented slot cover (I have a nice patterned burn mark from that).

Rebooting the computer twice caused automatic fan speed to kick back in and work properly. Rebooting again caused to to stop working again. Rebooting three more times caused it to start working again. It seems fairly random, like something in the driver is failing to "hook" during boot.

Is this a known issue? Is there a fix for it? How does Nvidia handle personal injury resultant from malfunctioning products?

Yeah I keep hearing about this issue as well but always with the 2xx series cards. Have had no problems at all on my gtx480's.

No problem for me here with my GTX 295

258.96, Win 7 64bit

didnt have a single problem with my gtx 260 with auto and manual fan controls and havent had a problem with the drivers on the 2 8800GS's currently in my system..

Why bother commenting in a thread about an issue you aren't experiencing when you have no pertinent information towards said issue's resolution?

Make yourselves useful. See if you can trigger the problem on your systems so we can start tracking down the root cause.

Are you running multiple programs to do with OC'ing/Fan adjustments? Like Precision and afterburner? Having multiple programs that can interact with the videocard can do this sometimes.

I had the issue with my 470 GTX. I made a thread about it.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1538009

In short, I reverted back and all is well.

Do you perchance have more than one monitor hooked up?

The cards idle extremely high when two monitors are hooked up, which is extremely annoying, hot, and noisy. Some people dont seem to have that problem so I'm wondering what they're doing different. Going to try 257 later today.

Are you running multiple programs to do with OC'ing/Fan adjustments? Like Precision and afterburner? Having multiple programs that can interact with the videocard can do this sometimes.

I have no such programs install. Just Nvidia's drivers.

This problem does not occur if I install pre-200 series drivers. That means it's an issue that was created by something they've changed since then.

i had this yesterday....my custom fan profile got disabled for some reason, and when on Auto, it stayed at 38....took me a few minutes to figure out why my temps were hitting 99-104 during BFBC2 rather than the normal 69.....fan wouldnt change speed until I put it back on my custom profile

This is on a PNY 260 GTX

While my card fans aren't stopping, they are running hotter with the 200s. Also I get the odd time in WoW where some textures are disapearing/blacked out, sometimes followed by the message, "Windows has recovered from an nvd(something).dll kernal error" and once or twice a BSOD. I had MW2 freeze up once before too. Not sure if it's directly related but I should just go back to that 197 driver. I have 2 280s in SLI btw.

Do you perchance have more than one monitor hooked up?

The cards idle extremely high when two monitors are hooked up, which is extremely annoying, hot, and noisy. Some people dont seem to have that problem so I'm wondering what they're doing different. Going to try 257 later today.

Yes however, the second monitor is disabled. Basically I use the mini hdmi to connect to my LCD TV. I do this so when I play console ports like DMC 4 I switch to the HDTV. Either the computer monitor or the HDTV is enabled never both.

257.15s never did this. I tested it with just one monitor hooked up with 258.96 and the issue would not go away with a single monitor. In addition, I reinstalled the driver twice.

I switched back to 257.15 and everything is back to normal with my HDTV on the mini HDMI.

Did you try using Afterburner and running your fans from that application.
I have dual GTX 260s and driver version 258.69.
I have no problems, however I use Afterburner and it has never failed me.

Why bother commenting in a thread about an issue you aren't experiencing when you have no pertinent information towards said issue's resolution?

Make yourselves useful. See if you can trigger the problem on your systems so we can start tracking down the root cause.

You're right. Only people with problems should post. Because THAT would paint a clear picture. :rolleyes:

And no, I'm not doing this only to spite you: I have two 480's and I have not encountered any cooling problems. I am running GeForce GPU driver v258.96, NVIDIA 3D Vision driver v258.96. System specs are in my sig.

Hopefully you can find something affected computers have in common that unaffected computers do not.

You're right. Only people with problems should post. Because THAT would paint a clear picture. :rolleyes:

I never said that answers should be restricted only to those who have directly experienced the problem. If you had read just a little more closely, you would have noticed that I also included those who had pertinent information towards the resolution of said problem.

Hopefully you can find something affected computers have in common that unaffected computers do not.

Judging from those who have answered so far, there appears to be no correlation between card model and the prevalence of this fan speed problem. This is to be expected, as even those who do experience the issue do not consistently boot with the problem (put simply, sometimes automatic fan control does work correctly even on affected systems).

The random appearance and disappearance after some number of reboots means that, even if the problem is specific to a particular model Nvidia card, even those who are experiencing the issue may answer that they do not. This taints and invalidates any results you might have gleamed from a sampling of card models against who is and who is not experiencing the issue at any given moment.

then just go back to the driver that doesn't cause that problem and tell Nvidia about it.

Hopefully they correct the issue soon, because the newest drivers that I don't experience this issue with aren't new enough to run the version of PhysX that Mafia II requires.

Last edited:

because if you get 10 people complaining saying its the drivers then everyone assumes its the drivers that are the problem and not something with their system because supposedly those of us that havent had a single problem with the drivers over multiple cards is useless information..

but what ever not worth my time..

While I already reported on my desktop, I forgot all about my laptop. It had the laptop version of 258.96 and I have had that kernel issue crop up on it as well and every time it did so, I never heard the fan go. I rolled back last night to 197 and the fan is easily more noticeable all the time.

because if you get 10 people complaining saying its the drivers then everyone assumes its the drivers that are the problem and not something with their system because
Considering rolling back to older drivers fixes the problem immediately (and repeatably), it's fairly safe to say that it's something to do with the newer drivers.

On a related note, I finally managed to find a good working combination for Forceware drivers and PhysX system software. Foreware version 197.45 WHQL isn't exhibiting the automatic fan speed issue, and PhysX system software 09.10.0513 (the latest) installed successfully with this version of Forceware. Working fan speed, working hardware PhysX.

supposedly those of us that havent had a single problem with the drivers over multiple cards is useless information..
Yup, pretty much. As I explained at length to IRSmurf, mere reports of "working" or "not working" are completely irrelevant due to the intermittent nature of the problem.

but what ever not worth my time..

But you took the time to post...

Back