Forced to get a new phone *sniffle*

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Verizon is charging out the ass, gonna try T-Mobile and my much loved HTC One M8 isn't comparable with their network.

I'm on a family plan deal with my wife and mother, boss is subsidizing a good bit of the cost. My wife is getting an S7 to replace her S4, My mother is getting an S7 to replace her S3, as for me...

I really wanted to get an HTC 10, but since T-Mobile doesn't offer it, I'd have to buy it outright, and it's a bit pricey, so I ended up ordering a Oneplus 3t. The UI looks similarish to sense, the build quality looks near identical to what I like, so I hope it'll be a good fit.

Anyone with a Oneplus have any tips/tricks about the UI?

I switched from Verizon and the M8 to T-Mobile as well earlier last year. Though I went with the Nexus 6P at the time and still have it (been awesome so far, but I miss the IR blaster from the M8). I would just hit up Youtube on OP3/3T reviews if you want to learn the most about it. If I had to replace my 6P at the moment, that's probably the phone I would replace it with as well, since the Pixel is overpriced and unavailable and the 10 dropped the front facing speakers and IR blaster that I loved on the M8.

I'm pretty sure you can finance the 10 from HTC still, but too late now I guess. I don't think it's really worth the extra cash over the OP3/3T anyways though and am sure you'll be happy with it.

I switched from Verizon and the M8 to T-Mobile as well earlier last year. Though I went with the Nexus 6P at the time and still have it (been awesome so far, but I miss the IR blaster from the M8). I would just hit up Youtube on OP3/3T reviews if you want to learn the most about it. If I had to replace my 6P at the moment, that's probably the phone I would replace it with as well, since the Pixel is overpriced and unavailable and the 10 dropped the front facing speakers and IR blaster that I loved on the M8.

I'm pretty sure you can finance the 10 from HTC still, but too late now I guess. I don't think it's really worth the extra cash over the OP3/3T anyways though and am sure you'll be happy with it.

The front facing speakers and expandable storage is what I'll miss most. The IR blaster was nice as well, and the potent headphone amp in the M8. I didn't know the 10 completely dropped the front speakers, that makes me feel a bit better about my decision heh.

The 3T is a really nice device. I personally would have gone with a Pixel, as T-Mobile has a promotion right now to credit you for half the purchase price off your bill ($350ish over 24 months). Either way, you'll be happy.

I personally just unlocked my HTC 10 and threw Lineage OS (The successor to CyanogenMod) on it, so it's basically a redone Pixel. Really, really enjoying it.

Last edited:
The 3T is a really nice device. I personally would have gone with a Pixel, as T-Mobile has a promotion right now to credit you for half the purchase price off your bill ($350ish over 24 months). Either way, you'll be happy.

I personally just unlocked my HTC 10 and threw Lineage OS (The successor to CyanogenMod), so it's basically a redone Pixel. Really, really enjoying it.

Wow cyanogen is gone? I've been out of the game for a while, last one I had rooted was my Thunderbolt, and my Incredible before that heh.

But I'm curious, why would you put a custom rom on it, when pixel is just vanilla Android.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I put vanilla-ish (LineageOS isn't vanilla but let's not nitpick) on the HTC 10, which basically turned it into a Pixel.

CyanogenMod died towards the last week of 2016. Basically Cyanogen (the company) is getting out of the custom OS game and focusing on "apps and add-on solutions". A few of the devs that left/were fired were saying there's some REALLY shady code that was put into the OS, and to stop using CyanogenMod (the ROM). Cyanogen himself (Steve Kondik) left the company as well. The new work is called LineageOS.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I put vanilla-ish (LineageOS isn't vanilla but let's not nitpick) on the HTC 10, which basically turned it into a Pixel.

CyanogenMod died towards the last week of 2016. Basically Cyanogen (the company) is getting out of the custom OS game and focusing on "apps and add-on solutions". A few of the devs that left/were fired were saying there's some REALLY shady code that was put into the OS, and to stop using CyanogenMod (the ROM). Cyanogen himself (Steve Kondik) left the company as well. The new work is called LineageOS.

Ah bummer, I'm not familiar with LineageOS so I didn't know how far off from vanilla it was ;)

DHL is saying the phone left Hong Kong in the early hours, but still says estimated delivery today.. I dunno what to believe lol

Cyanogen wasn't "vanilla" either. Features added, a few differences. I hate being a stickler, but it's like calling a McChicken patty a chicken cutlet.

I really wanted to get an HTC 10, but since T-Mobile doesn't offer it, I'd have to buy it outright, and it's a bit pricey, so I ended up ordering a Oneplus 3t. The UI looks similarish to sense, the build quality looks near identical to what I like, so I hope it'll be a good fit.

I was able to pick up a used HTC 10 on swappa back in June last year for $400. I had the M8 before that and I thought it was worth the upgrade to the 10.

I was able to pick up a used HTC 10 on swappa back in June last year for $400. I had the M8 before that and I thought it was worth the upgrade to the 10.

I've been really liking the OP3T, but I miss the front facing speakers all the time heh. Also the screen on the OP3t is a little large for me for 1 handed use, but I'm overall happy. Glad you like the 10, seems like the next wave of flaghip phones are going to be priced to the moon

Why would the M8 not be compatible with T-Mobile? If it's a Verizon-branded device it damned well better be since all Verizon devices since the summer of 2013 have been sold GSM unlocked which means it should work on T-Mobile automagically. T-Mobile and Verizon do share several bands for LTE connections as well - not ALL of them but several bands.

Why would the M8 not be compatible with T-Mobile? If it's a Verizon-branded device it damned well better be since all Verizon devices since the summer of 2013 have been sold GSM unlocked which means it should work on T-Mobile automagically. T-Mobile and Verizon do share several bands for LTE connections as well - not ALL of them but several bands.

My Verizon M8 worked on T-Mobile, but it is crippled on LTE because it's missing band 2 and band 12, so it's really only good as a backup phone outside of Verizon unfortunately. It didn't support WiFi calling or VoLTE/HD Voice either. Otherwise I wouldn't have minded to keep using it for a while after I switched.

Back