forced download win 10

slls

n00b
since 8-17 the win 10 update has tried to download 10 16 times, and failed. Never requested win 10 update. HD never stops, Driving me crazy. Anyone at ms I can call?

No, it won't. Next time you go to WU it will reinstall. I even hid it at WU and it still installed. You have to take note of the update and deselect it every time you go to WU. FU Microsoft.

windows 10 will show as an optional update. unselect it, then right click, hide update. done.

windows 10 will show as an optional update. unselect it, then right click, hide update. done.

riiiiight

there are like 8 KBs you have to watch out for by now

and they will unhide themselves, I have seen it

And we were tying to get the silly Windows 10 upgrade app installed on our W7 machine today at work and had a heck of a time getting it setup! Much of the world is trying to get rid of it and we couldn't get it for love nor money. Finally got it to take and now awaiting the upgrade to W10 when it finally downloads. So far I've been able to avoid the hateful thing on my home systems.

I just said, I hid the update after removing it and Microsoft installed it again anyway. You sure it is not an optional update? I think it was listed as a required update. Just today I selected unhide updates that I had hidden and it was not there.

I turn off auto WU. I don't even let it check for updates. Checking and updates are only executed manually. Then again, I use Windows for gaming only. Windows VM for productivity applications. Otherwise, it's Linux for everything else. If you don't surf the web on Windows, you won't miss the updates... . :D

riiiiight

there are like 8 KBs you have to watch out for by now

and they will unhide themselves, I have seen it

On several PCs, some with Win7, some with 8.1, all with automatic updates on and fully updated besides KB3035583, I've done this:

1. Remove KB3035583 from Windows Update
2. Reboot
3. Run Windows Update, checking for updates manually, KB3035583 appears, hide the update
5. Reboot
6. Run Windows Update, no updates found. Check the list of hidden updates, KB3035583 is in it where it belongs.

I don't know why it comes back for you but that has not been my experience.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx]
"DisableGwx"=dword:00000001

After running this reg file on my windows 7 machines, I no longer see anything about a windows 10 upgrade.

I just said, I hid the update after removing it and Microsoft installed it again anyway. You sure it is not an optional update? I think it was listed as a required update. Just today I selected unhide updates that I had hidden and it was not there.

if the windows 10 upgrade already started at one point, you may have to remove the $Windows.~BT folder first.

disk cleanup should be able to remove it for you.

then just follow the instructions again.

It hasn't tried to download on me because I cancelled my reserve, I just want that GWX icon gone for good from my system tray without having to watch WU all the time. If any other company did this on our PCs it would be classified as malware.

It hasn't tried to download on me because I cancelled my reserve, I just want that GWX icon gone for good from my system tray without having to watch WU all the time. If any other company did this on our PCs it would be classified as malware.

Does doing exactly what I did above work?

It *IS* Malware. Microsoft wants to be able to inflate their numbers with gotcha tactics and make press statements with big round numbers about how many people are "loving and embracing the new Windows!" Fucking pathetic.

win called back 3hrs later. would remove it for good but my computer was acting up. mindspark was on my startup and had to disable. How do I get rid of mindspark from my computer.

Back